SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bump Stock - never heard of them until now
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bump Stock - never heard of them until now Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
Apparently one or more of the LV shooters guns had this modification...
Just watched a couple of videos about them and all I can say is how does the ATF allow these...

I'm not saying they should be illegal just surprised....

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Because you can't ban the law of physics.

For the record, don't own one or care to, Full auto, or rather psuedo full auto, seemed too expensive and waste of money.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Google will give you more reading than you can stand on these.

But they are legal because they still only permit one round to be fired per pull of the trigger. The definition of full auto in the law is essentially that more than one bullet is fire with a single pull of the trigger. A bump fire stock (and a dedicated bump fire stock isn't even needed to engage in bump firing) only makes it possible to pull the trigger very, very quickly.

It uses recoil and a pushing forward action to cause the shooter's finger to hit the trigger rapidly. The gun moves with recoil forces back and forth into the shooter's finger, rather than the shooter moving his finger.

Because the gun is moving so much, it isn't accurate or very controllable. But against an area target . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Apparently one or more of the LV shooters guns had this modification...
Just watched a couple of videos about them and all I can say is how does the ATF allow these...

I'm not saying they should be illegal just surprised....

So, what are you saying? You statements contradict each other.

And, also for the record, I don't care for these bumpfire devices, or even real full autos, either.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump firing is nothing new. The ATF should ban rubber bands also. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. The law will never be able to legislate away the nutters.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I once had a Greek guy in a bar in Key West ask me a LOT of questions about guns. At first he seemed fascinated by the relatively open gun market here. Then he asked about bump stocks. And could I buy them. And could I ship them. I told him I had to take a leak and slipped out the back door. It got creepy in a hurry.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
Bump firing is nothing new. The ATF should ban rubber bands also. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. The law will never be able to legislate away the nutters.

Yup. If anyone says they think bump stocks should be banned they are saying the .gov should tell you how fast you can fire your semiautimatic firearm. So they ban those stocks because they "fire too fast". What happens when they see a video of Jerry Miculek? You can't ban his finger. So instead they ban his guns.

Until it fires more than one round per trigger pull it is a legal semiautomatic firearm. It dosen't matter how fast you pull it. If you allow someone to tell you how fast you can fire it, next they will tell you how many cartridges you can load in it. We've already been down that road.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
So Diane Feinstein wants to make bump fire stocks illegal because they can make a semi- auto into a full auto with a firing rate of 400-800 rounds per minute! WOW, math is not her strong suit but prevarication is! Now since I know you can emulate a bump fire stock with your thumb and jeans pocket does this mean all shooters will have the thumb of their dominate hand amputated and no more jeans pockets on the dominate side. Oh shoot (PC version) you can use your waistband. I guess only gumbi (union) suits for outerwear will be sold henceforth? No more slack, shorts, business suits etc with a waistband to hook your thumb on. Bump firing does NOT need a specialized stock and they don't make a weapon into a full auto! It is not the equipment, its the evil nutter!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Because the gun is moving so much, it isn't accurate or very controllable.

Exactly. For the casual gun owner shooting their rifle at the range, performing bump firing mag dumps does nothing more than turn bullets into smoke and noise. It's wildly inaccurate, with no use other than being an inexpensive way to kinda/sorta approximate the feel and sound of full auto fire for shits and giggles.

Posts: 32505 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
So Diane Feinstein wants to make bump fire stocks illegal because they can make a semi- auto into a full auto with a firing rate of 400-800 rounds per minute!

You don't say? Eek

I think it is GLOCK that makes the FULLY Automatic Bump Stock,,, right? Confused

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

I think it is GLOCK that makes the FULLY Automatic Bump Stock,,, right? Confused

Yeah, and it costs more than you make in a month.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Bump firing is a little parlor trick, just a way to waste lots of ammo for nothing. Put a little more wear on that barrel too.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16688 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trebor44:
So Diane Feinstein wants to make bump fire stocks illegal because they can make a semi- auto into a full auto with a firing rate of 400-800 rounds per minute!...

That's only the black Assault Bump Stock.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw a guy hook his thumb on his pants pocket and bump fire.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
There are other devices out there besides a bump stock. One fires 4 times with a crank rotation. Then there's the "binary firing system.

But as others have mentioned, their utility is limited and the amount of "wasted ammo" is high. So for other than an occasional "fun" range outing, I personally have no need or desire for one.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
So Diane Feinstein wants to make bump fire stocks illegal because they can make a semi- auto into a full auto with a firing rate of 400-800 rounds per minute!

Must be the bumpfire stock on a belt-fed?

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Feinstein wants to make bump stocks illegal because they are used on firearms which in her view should all be illegal.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A guy at work told me that he heard that the shooter made some modifications that made his guns more deadly. Its just a waste of breath to try and educate people. I think that when the average person thinks of a full auto gun they see something like the scene in predator, where the guy fires a mini gun for a solid 10 minutes and mows down every tree in the jungle.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3529 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have known about bump fire stocks since they came out, but never bought one. No thanks. I don’t feel like wasting a bunch of ammo really quick with no accuracy.

Even in a TEOTWAWKI event, I would not want this device. I prefer accuracy over quantity.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Even in a TEOTWAWKI event, I would not want this device. I prefer accuracy over quantity.

For those of us with limited Full Auto experience, this is true in Spades! The several times I fired FA's (Thompson with a 50-rd drum, and a Schmeisser MP-38), I was infinitely more accurate at the same ranges with my Colt Mk 4/Series 70. More targets hit, less money invested.

If I win the Lottery, maybe a Swedish-K, just to say I own one, but definitely not for TEOTWAWKI!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9154 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post