SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question Re: Firefox version 56
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question Re: Firefox version 56 Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
I have noticed that mine says it is 32 bit and apparently no way to upgrade to 64 bit. Anyone know if it is possible?

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
64 bit version used to be called Waterfox. Do not know if it is still available.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
64 bit version used to be called Waterfox. Do not know if it is still available.

RMD

still is, and yes.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Link to instructions how to go from Firefox 32 bit to Firefox 64 bit (for Windows).

Firefox 32 to 64 bit

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
Are you using a 64 bit version of windows?

If so, you are in luck and using Steve's link will let you download it.

https://download.mozilla.org/?...&os=win64&lang=en-US

If you are using a 32bit version of windows, you are restricted to using 32bit programs.

You can check your version of windows by going to control panel, clicking system and security, then selecting system

Control panel -> System and security -> System

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I'd stick with 32 bit if you do flash, silverlight and other drm codecs for stuff like Prime video and stuff. While everything is supposed to be moving to HTML5, a lot of sites still aren't or don't work right. 64bitFirefox doesn't work as well with these older DRM schemes as the 32 bit version.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
That went pretty slick. Installed the new version, deleted the old. Fired up the new and it not only worked, it opened all the tabs that I had open before. Seamless!

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I will probably try these instructions out a little later tonight.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

Waterfox and other Firefox derivatives (e.g. Pale Moon, etc.) are not Mozilla products. That said I have used Alex Kontos' 64-bit Waterfox satisfactorily for a couple years now. https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post