SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Warning: Daughter's Dog Went Into Seizures Yesterday When Given a "DentaStix"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warning: Daughter's Dog Went Into Seizures Yesterday When Given a "DentaStix" Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Pedigree has had several recalls.
http://www.petful.com/brands/pedigree/

The dental sticks have a number of complaints:
http://www.oes.org/page2/32642...e_Dental_Sticks.html
http://www.steadyhealth.com/to...liver-issues-in-dogs
https://www.petforums.co.uk/th...ix-dont-feed.170976/
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/pedigree.html

I refuse to feed my corgis anything not made in the USA from USA source materials. Sadly I learned this after feeding my heart dog the crap from China. She developed a very rare liver cancer. Was it the Chinese food? I'll never know but never want to go through it again
http://www.arrfscarf.com/blog/...m-china-cause-deaths

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I've been feeding all my dogs Dentastix for 10+ years, with no side effects.

quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Stay away from anything made in China.

Pedigree states that Dentastix are made in both Canada and the US. Not in China.

I've yet to see an American flag on the package. Next question is the source of the ingediants.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
My dogs got them for many years with no issues.

A few years back we switched to Milk bone Dental chews. Made in USA.

Dentastix are loaded with calories.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Pedigree states that Dentastix are made in both Canada and the US. Not in China.

I've yet to see an American flag on the package.

No flag, but the back of the Dentastix package reads: "Pedigree Treats are proudly produced by Mars Associates in our own facilities throughout the United States and Canada."

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
So still nothing to show that it's nothing more than a coincidence?

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was this the first time that the dog has had Dentastix ??

If he has had the product before , what happened then ??

If this is related to the absorption of some sort of chemical .....the speed of absorption is impressive ! Most chemicals/drugs aren't absorbed that quickly....

I would suggest a trip to the vet...there may be something else wrong with your pup...

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
So how exactly have you proved the seizure was caused by the Dentastix, and that eating that was not coincidental to some other cause?

He doesn't, but it is easy to confuse coincidence for causation.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
  • Moments after being given a "DentaStix" for the first time the dog went into seizures

• The above would be the strongest argument against the DentaStix being the cause

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Essayons
    Picture of SapperSteel
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
    quote:
  • Moments after being given a "DentaStix" for the first time the dog went into seizures

• The above would be the strongest argument against the DentaStix being the cause

As relayed to me by Dau#1, the dog had "dog breath" so she bought DentaStix for it while at the store on Sunday morning.

She gave the dog its first and only DentaStix ever while in the kitchen after getting home, and the dog proceed to chew it with vigor. She turned her attention to toasting a bagel. When she turned around from the toster with bagel in hand, the dog was trembling. Then it started thrashing around, eyes rolled back.

It took Dau#1 about a minute to assess the situation and decide what to do. Some time ago she had been familiarized with using hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting in a dog that had gotten into some D-con rat poison, and she had peroxide on hand, so she mixed some water and peroxide in a squirt bottle and forced some down the dog's throat. Shortly after that her dog did vomit up the DentaStix. Then in a few more minutes it shat, with no evidence of any DentaStix in the fecal matter. That satisfied her that all the DentaStix was out of the dog.

While waiting for the dog to puke (she said it took about twenty minutes, during which time the seizures continued), she called her vet's emergency number. The vet told her she'd done the right thing with the peroxide, that it was probably an allergic reaction, the word used was "anaphalactoid", to the DentaStix. She was told to monitor the dog's condition and if it didn't improve then bring it in on Monday.

Dau#1 also commented that the chewed-up DentaStix fragments in the puke, which had started out green-colored, were bright pink, but still smelled like mint, when the dog puked them back up.

Dog (named Gracie) appears to be doing well now, no apparent evidence of permanent damage.

And, as already acknowledged in this thread, correlation is not causation. But it's damned strange, don't you think, that the only seizures the dog has ever had were immediately after being given its first ever DentaStix, and that the seizures stopped after the dog puked out the DentaStix? Do you propose, maybe, that Dau#1 should give Gracie another DentaStix to see if it kills the dog this time? Would that make the causation link for you? Well that isn't going to happen.

This is enough to convince me that the DentaStix are NOT safe. I've shared that info with members here with the best of intentions. If you don't believe the dog's seizures were caused by the DentaStix, fine. Do what you will. But none of my dogs will ever be given that crap.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the "heads up", Sap.
    The only treats my dogs get are the Greenies "Pill Pockets" used to conceal the foul tasting Tramadol pills they both take morning and night. So far no issues with those, fortunately.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    is circumspective
    Picture of vinnybass
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    [snip]
    Dau#1 also commented that the chewed-up DentaStix fragments in the puke, which had started out green-colored, were bright pink, but still smelled like mint, when the dog puked them back up.

This is the curious part.
    Is it possible the dog got into some candy or gum sweetened with Xylitol as HayesGreener asked?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Armed and Gregarious
    Picture of DMF
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    And, as already acknowledged in this thread, correlation is not causation. But it's damned strange, don't you think, that the only seizures the dog has ever had were immediately after being given its first ever DentaStix, and that the seizures stopped after the dog puked out the DentaStix? Do you propose, maybe, that Dau#1 should give Gracie another DentaStix to see if it kills the dog this time? Would that make the causation link for you? Well that isn't going to happen.

This is enough to convince me that the DentaStix are NOT safe. I've shared that info with members here with the best of intentions. If you don't believe the dog's seizures were caused by the DentaStix, fine. Do what you will. But none of my dogs will ever be given that crap.
    I see what you mean.

Yesterday my Uncle Ned borrowed my neighbor's car, a "Lexus" and had an accident and nearly died.

"Lexus" is manufactured by an outfit named Toyota.

If you have access to one of those cars, think long and hard before driving it. Recommend you get rid of it.

And, as already acknowledged in this thread, correlation is not causation. But it's damned strange, don't you think, that the only accident my Uncle Ned over had was in that Lexus, given its the first ever Lexus he's ever driven? Do you propose, maybe, that Uncle Ned should drive another Lexus to see if it kills the Uncle Ned this time? Would that make the causation link for you? Well that isn't going to happen.

This is enough to convince me that Lexus autos are NOT safe. I've shared that info with members here with the best of intentions. If you don't believe the Uncle Ned's accident was caused by the Lexus, fine. Do what you will. But none of my Uncle's will ever drive that crap.

NOTE: The preceding is satire, but illustrates how ridiculous this stance is. Take the dog to a vet to find out what caused the seizures. If it's the Dentastix fine, but what if it's not, and the dog has another seizure. How about actually caring for the dog, and trying to find the actual cause, rather than simply assuming the cause, and further risking the dog's life.

No, that would actually be rational.

Roll Eyes

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Unmanned Writer
    Picture of LS1 GTO
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 12131:
    quote:
    Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
    Stay away from anything made in China. I only buy treats made in the USA or make my own.

Exactly! I don't even eat Chinese foods anymore. If you see the documentaries I've seen about their "foods", you will never eat Chinese foods, or anything that came out of China, again. As far as I'm concerned, these fuckers are out to poison the world.

quote:
    My hypocrisy goes only so far.

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
    Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Essayons
    Picture of SapperSteel
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    . . .I see what you mean.

Yesterday my Uncle Ned borrowed my neighbor's car, a "Lexus" and had an accident and nearly died.

If you have access to one of those cars, think long and hard before driving it. Recommend you get rid of it.

And, as already acknowledged in this thread, correlation is not causation. But it's damned strange, don't you think, that the only accident my Uncle Ned over had was in that Lexus, given its the first ever Lexus he's ever driven? Do you propose, maybe, that Uncle Ned should drive another Lexus to see if it kills the Uncle Ned this time? Would that make the causation link for you? Well that isn't going to happen.

This is enough to convince me that Lexus autos are NOT safe. I've shared that info with members here with the best of intentions. If you don't believe the Uncle Ned's accident was caused by the Lexus, fine. Do what you will. But none of my Uncle's will ever drive that crap.

NOTE: The preceding is satire, but illustrates how ridiculous this stance is. Take the dog to a vet to find out what caused the seizures. If it's the Dentastix fine, but what if it's not, and the dog has another seizure. How about actually caring for the dog, and trying to find the actual cause, rather than simply assuming the cause, and further risking the dog's life.

Roll Eyes

Your metaphorical comparison is asinine on its face. Clearly, there is no similarity whatsoever between a single change to a dog's diet and your uncle driving a different car -- no rational conclusion can be reached by such an outlandish comparison.

As to caring for the dog, the dog's vet, who is familiar with the dog, was consulted (did you read the thread?) and gave specific instructions to Dau#1. Vet's focus was on DentaStix as the cause of the seizure.

Your tone is snotty and your approach offensive. Your assertion that my and my daughter's conclusions regarding DentaStix are irrational, and that we somehow do not care for the dog's welfare is beyond the pale.

If you have a dog I did you a favor by sharing this information. If you choose not to believe it that's your business. You have no reason to insult me.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I give my dog a dentastick once a week for the last 6 years and haven't had any issues with them. My box says made in either US or canada.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    It's pronounced just
    the way it's spelled
    posted Hide Post
    The dog had a severe allergic reaction to something in the treat. Read the ingredient list and make sure the dog never gets anything on that list, or dertermine what new thing it was exposed to from that treat and avoid it like the plague.

Oh, a dog (or a human) can develop one of these severe reactions virtually overnight.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Armed and Gregarious
    Picture of DMF
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    . . .I see what you mean.

Roll Eyes

Your metaphorical comparison is asinine on its face. Clearly, there is no similarity whatsoever between a single change to a dog's diet and your uncle driving a different car -- no rational conclusion can be reached by such an outlandish comparison.

As to caring for the dog, the dog's vet, who is familiar with the dog, was consulted (did you read the thread?) and gave specific instructions to Dau#1. Vet's focus was on DentaStix as the cause of the seizure.

Your tone is snotty and your approach offensive. Your assertion that my and my daughter's conclusions regarding DentaStix are irrational, and that we somehow do not care for the dog's welfare is beyond the pale.

If you have a dog I did you a favor by sharing this information. If you choose not to believe it that's your business. You have no reason to insult me.
    Nope, my comparison is quite appropriate.

However, somehow I missed your statement that the vet said the reaction "probably an allergic" reaction. For that I'm sorry, because it actually makes your "Warning" even more ridiculous. If the reaction was due to an allergy, your warning that others shouldn't give it to their dogs, and get rid of any they have, is the equivalent of you saying that no one should eat peanuts if you're allergic to it, or no one should take penicillin because someone you know is allergic to it.

What's snotty and offensive, is how utterly irrational your position on this thread has been.

Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    Fractious and quarrelsome.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Cummings Custom Refinishing
    posted Hide Post
    sap
    Thank you for the warning. I have had a dog that had sudden allergic reactions and it is very scary. I try to give my dogs fresh green beans and seedless watermelon bites for treats but one has really bad breath. Anyone have any suggestions that are 100% safe

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
    OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
    423-639-8924
    www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by CCR:
    sap
    Thank you for the warning. I have had a dog that had sudden allergic reactions and it is very scary. I try to give my dogs fresh green beans and seedless watermelon bites for treats but one has really bad breath. Anyone have any suggestions that are 100% safe

You can try brushing it's teeth. They sell dog toothpaste at pet stores. Some dogs won't allow an owner to do it, while others will.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post