SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone remember computer paper tape?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone remember computer paper tape? Login/Join 
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I never used paper tape, but I wrote many a program using cards.
I learned to draw a diagonal line on top of the deck with a magic marker in case of a drop.

I did get to use the old IBM teletype before terminals came into use.
BTAM, then TCAM, then VTAM.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned earlier, my first computer worked on was an IBM 650, which was in a couple of modules about the size of 2 refrigerators each, plus ancillary items (card reader, card punch, printer). The biggest one I ever worked with with the IBM AN/FSQ-7 SAGE computer--the largest (physical size) computer ever built. It occupied 3 floors of a 1-acre Direction Center building, if one counted everything involved (power and a/c were separate). Inside each DC were two CPUs, each one measuring 7,500 sq ft and consisting of 60,000 vacuum tubes, 175,000 diodes, 13,000 newfangled transistors, and 272KB of magnetic core RAM, consuming a total of 3MW of power and weighing in at 250 tons. It was BIG! Even though state of the art back in the 1960s, its computing power was not much more than that of a Commodore 64, but the extent of its human interface was enormous--150 CRT display consoles with people manning them and interacting with the machine in real time. You can read more about the system here: https://www.extremetech.com/co...-computer-ever-built. It had a card reader, but primary program input was via 1/2-inch magnetic tape.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
When I started with IBM in 78,one account had a 2671 paper tape reader attached to a main frame. Worked on it a couple times,it was actually a better roach nest. It was some union shop in midtown Manhattan..

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10MB Hard Drive, circa 1960’s and a 1TB from today.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I remember in the later 1970's our firm did a lab remodel, put in a ~400 sq ft computer room for the DEC PDP's, raised floor for the dedicated air conditioning, separate power meter/circuit breaker box -- total computer power less than a run-of-the-mill smartphone today.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
10MB Hard Drive, circa 1960’s and a 1TB from today.

first real job I had was as a produce clerk in a grocery store,

we were one of the first stores in the area to be built with scanners at the registers,

cutting edge stuff for 1980

the computers (primary and backup)that ran the registers was as big as a refrigerator, and had a disc like that in each one,

the primary hard drive crashed on day, whatever that thing used for a 'needle' or reader drug on the disc,

it was a horrible loud squealing noise, that suddenly stopped

took the IBM guy all morning to replace it,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:

20yr Naval career (1986-2006)

I fondly recall the help you extended for my old laptop Linux conversion as well as our commiserating about our Navy computer experiences. (Me with the AN/YUK-5V and card-reader-punch; took my Naval commission in 1974 after having 6 years of enlisted Army time).
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/5390022154/p/3

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking at this thread- We did a lot with what would be considered little compared to todays technologies.

It seems in comparison today we do little with a lot of amazing technologies.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Punch cards here for Fortran programs in the early to mid '70s.......

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh .. .

Posts: 2539 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Anyone remember that MVS utilities tape, originally put out by the Air Force and then taken over by Connecticut Bank and Trust? It was called 'The CBT Tape' after that. It had a lot of useful tools on it. I contributed a TSO Rexx program that could read VSAM files, allowing for the creation of ISPF apps that could use that data.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, the fond memories of IBM punch cards and the young ladies who keyed them. The onset of TSO spelled the end of these fine creatures. Back in the mid '70s while working at a large government agency, it was not unusual to stumble upon one of our Operations Staff members and a Key Punch girl behind an air conditioning unit vigorously engaged in non-connubial bliss.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
Ah yes, the fond memories of IBM punch cards and the young ladies who keyed them.
<snip>

Ah, yes, those keypunch ladies. My first post-college job was at Control Data Corp. There was a sizable room with a dozen of ‘em in there, operating IBM 029s. It had a glass wall so you could see ‘em as you walked past in the hall.

And those girls had buffered I/O! It was common to see several of ‘em chatting on the phone, cradled on their shoulders, while punching card rapidly and accurately. They had a hard-wired connection from eyes to fingers.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
Uh .. .

I have one of those sitting atop my piano right now! I use it to punch Tone Cards for my Allen electronic organ.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post