SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    An insurance tip: report reduced daily mileage to your insurer for a reduction in premium
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An insurance tip: report reduced daily mileage to your insurer for a reduction in premium Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
If you are working from home now and the amount of miles you are driving has been significantly reduced, make sure you update your auto insurer on the reduction in mileage. I'm stuck working from home and have eliminated a 80-mile round trip commute to work 5 days a week. Reporting the reduction in mileage saved me $200 per year in premiums.

Many, if not all, insurers ask for an estimate on the amount of miles you drive each insured car per year and base the premiums, in part, on that. Reducing the estimated number of miles can result in a decent reduction in your premium.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If you're with State Farm I believe their only low-mileage option is if you're under 5K/year.

And they monitor that now not just by reported mileage but by other sources such as service records (some report this data to someone, assholes), registrations, etc.

It's not that I was trying to screw them when we started driving one car more, but they had historically only adjusted on annual basis. In my case a dealer visit for a repair triggered a change in rates a couple months later.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12339 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
With USAA, you can adjust on line at any time and get an immediate new premium.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
In my case a dealer visit for a repair triggered a change in rates a couple months later.

How they get that information from a dealer is highly questionable. Unless you authorized that, I'd confirm with them how they got that information and report it to your state's insurance bureau.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
quote:
In my case a dealer visit for a repair triggered a change in rates a couple months later.

How they get that information from a dealer is highly questionable. Unless you authorized that, I'd confirm with them how they got that information and report it to your state's insurance bureau.

I would imagine the fine print on the dealer service order states who owns the data and what they can do with it. Most likely you are giving them the ok at that point. Kind of a TOS.

Posts: 23193 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you're with State Farm I believe their only low-mileage option is if you're under 5K/year.

Isn't it 7,500 miles (personal use)?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16248 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

And they monitor that now not just by reported mileage but by other sources such as service records (some report this data to someone, assholes), registrations, etc.

It's not that I was trying to screw them when we started driving one car more, but they had historically only adjusted on annual basis. In my case a dealer visit for a repair triggered a change in rates a couple months later.

They offer a 7,500 mile a year plan. That is what I am on and they just send me a slip of paper to fill out every 6 months.
When I got the Tundra I switched to that plan and am saving $33 a month from what I was paying on the Expedition with the same coverage but not the limited mileage plan.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25317 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
quote:

I would imagine the fine print on the dealer service order states who owns the data and what they can do with it. Most likely you are giving them the ok at that point. Kind of a TOS.

They probably run a Carfax. All you need is a VIN most dealers still enter into Carfax. No need for permission from anyone to run a Carfax on any vehicle.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25317 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post