SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Concealed Carry Soars 214%, Violent Crime Drops 21%
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealed Carry Soars 214%, Violent Crime Drops 21% Login/Join 
posted
https://bearingarms.com/david-...-crime-common-sense/

In addition to being history’s greatest gun salesman, Barack Obama did the best job of convincing John Q. Public there really is a need for concealed carry. John Q. paid attention and turned out by the thousands. Also under Obama’s watch the last two concealed carry hold-out states – Wisconsin and Illinois – passed laws permitting residents to carry a concealed firearm.

Of course the Birkenstock Brigade fought it in both states warning of dire consequences, casually ignoring the other 48 states not experiencing any problem with concealed carry permit holders. So far, no blood running in the streets, no concealed carry permit holder shooting someone over a parking space or any of the other dire warnings that were issued by Democrats prior to the law’s implementation. What did happen is John Q. turned out in droves and signed up for concealed carry.

According to a recent article in Breitbart, concealed carry permits rose 215 percent between 2007 and 2015, and the murder rate dropped 14 percent during that same time period. Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) data shows there were 14.5 million permit holders in May 2016 and approximately 15.7 million in May 2017.

In the CPRC’s latest annual report which covers 2015, it notes the number of concealed handgun permits issued that year set another record, an increase of 1.73 million permits issued, slightly higher than the previous record of 1.69 million. Currently about 6.06 percent of the approximately 248 million adults in the U.S., have a concealed carry permit.

Ten states have more than 10% of the adults registered as concealed carry holders with Indiana the highest at 15% and South Dakota coming in at number two with 14.7%. Three states, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Texas, have over a million residents each who are concealed carry permit holders. It is also safe to say that these numbers do not reflect the true number of concealed carry holders because there are eleven states that do not require any licensing.

One interesting side note is between 2012 and 2016, in states that provide data by gender, the number of women with permits has increased at double the rate of men.

As always, the Birkenstock Brigade produces endless talking points all aimed at making people believe concealed carry leads to an increase in criminal activity. According to Gun Facts, gun homicides were 10 percent higher in states with restrictive CCW laws according to a study spanning 1980-2009.

What studies have consistently shown, since Florida introduced concealed carry in 1988, is only 0.02% of all concealed carry permit holders have gone on to commit a gun-related crime. After passing their concealed carry law, Florida’s homicide rate fell from 36% above the national average to 4% below. Similarly, the Texas murder rates fell 50% faster than the national average, rape rates dropped 93% faster in the first year after enactment and 500% faster in the second year.

Conversely, cities such as Chicago, New York and Los Angeles with the most restrictive gun ownership laws, have shockingly high violent crime rates.

So what does the Birkenstock Brigade do in response? Double down on what doesn’t work best. Liberal politicians, third rate movie stars and the Belle of the Ball Gabby Giffords are all lobbying hard to stop the enactment of concealed carry national reciprocity. They talk about all the gun violence and saving the children.

The one thing they don’t talk about is while the dramatic influx of concealed permit holders was happening, the murder rate dropped by 14 percent and the overall violent crime rate dropped by 21 percent.

While it is difficult to come up with hard evidence of an inverse relationship between the two, there is substantial anecdotal information from inmates saying one of the prime concerns in the commission of a crime is the vulnerability of the potential victim; bad guys don’t want to get shot.

For all the gun control exhortations by the Birkenstock Brigade about “common sense,” novelist and science fiction author Robert Heinlein best illustrated a common sense explanation when he wrote in Beyond This Horizon, “An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I wonder about their data. I thought violent crime was up?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

The US homicide rate in 2014, the most recent year available, was 4.5 per 100,000. The 2014 total follows a long downward trend and is the lowest homicide rate recorded since 1963 when the rate was 4.6 per 100,000. To find a lower homicide rate, we must travel back to 1957 when the total homicide rate hit 4.0 per 100,000.

Homicide rates were considerably higher in the United States during the 1970s, 80s, and 90s, but over the past 25 years, have fallen nearly continuously:

Ask the average American if crime is falling in the United States, however, and you're unlikely to hear about how homicide is at a 50-year low.

Public Unaware that Homicide Rates Have Fallen

As Pew has reported in recent years, in fact, the American public is "unaware" that the homicide rate in the United States has fallen by 49 percent over the past twenty years. And while Pew doesn't report on it, it's also a safe bet that the public is also unaware that homicide rates have collapsed as total gun ownership in the United States has increased significantly.

Over a recent 20 year period, the number of new guns in the US that were either manufactured in the US or imported into the US increased 141 percent from 6.6 million new guns in 1994 to 16 million in 2013. That means a gross total of 132 million new guns were added into the US population over that time period.

https://mises.org/blog/fbi-us-...ide-rate-51-year-low

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
1. Violent crime is more than the murder rate.
2. Demographics are a major component of the crime rate.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
1. Violent crime is more than the murder rate.
2. Demographics are a major component of the crime rate.

The article says violent crime dropped 21%.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Correlation does not equal causation.

Violent crime steadily decreased from 1994 to 2004. Are you going to credit the "Assault Weapons Ban" for that, since the is a correlation, or would you want additional evidence before crediting that legislation with the cause in the decrease?

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I wonder about their data. I thought violent crime was up?

Only for budget purposes.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
Correlation does not equal causation.

Violent crime steadily decreased from 1994 to 2004. Are you going to credit the "Assault Weapons Ban" for that, since the is a correlation, or would you want additional evidence before crediting that legislation with the cause in the decrease?

Yep. It also opens you up the to argument of 'well it would have gone down even MORE if we had stricter gun laws'.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post