SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Retired LEO carry
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retired LEO carry Login/Join 
posted
Hi all,
My brother just got his retired DOD LEO carry id. He never realized he was eligible for it. He retired from Army Reserve as an MP. The good thing for him is he lives in a not so gun friendly state and would never get a carry permit. Now he can carry in all 50 states.
I would like to see this happen for civilians like a drivers license.

Kevin

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Check HR 218, LEOSA.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did he get the ID plus an annual qual card? The reg says he needs both.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Unsure WHERE your Brother resides but I have heard that some Agencies will qualify old guys seeking their Qual cert, even if not from that Agency.

Worth looking into. I did my first qual with an SO on the other side of the State.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
He still needs to read up on the laws for each state/ DC, depending on where he intends to carry. It isn't a blanket carry wherever you want type thing. I wish it was.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
yup, we have a few guys every year who show up for day/night certification and they never belonged to our department..

Firearms guy signs his papers and gives him a copy right there for him to carry.

If/when it is my turn I will also carry a copy of HB218...as some people are not aware that retired LEO can carry nationwide....

as someone else mentioned, he will need to check the states he visits to make sure he is up to date on their local laws and restricted areas he cannot carry

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
yup, we have a few guys every year who show up for day/night certification and they never belonged to our department..

Firearms guy signs his papers and gives him a copy right there for him to carry.

If/when it is my turn I will also carry a copy of HB218...as some people are not aware that retired LEO can carry nationwide....

as someone else mentioned, he will need to check the states he visits to make sure he is up to date on their local laws and restricted areas he cannot carry

Mike,

When you say 'people' are these other LEO's or some other group?

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
retired LEO's...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
retired LEO's...

direct - thanks.

9/11/01 Never Forget

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine, a retired Indiana State trooper, just requalified for his LEO permit and it was the first time I'd heard of it.
Can a state deny to honor this carry permit, or is it good everywhere?
I'm sure places like an airplane or federal buildings are exempt from CCW but I'm wondering about New York city or Chicago.

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GGF:
A friend of mine, a retired Indiana State trooper, just requalified for his LEO permit and it was the first time I'd heard of it.
Can a state deny to honor this carry permit, or is it good everywhere?
I'm sure places like an airplane or federal buildings are exempt from CCW but I'm wondering about New York city or Chicago.

I believe they still have to comply with local laws (state/city). This just keeps the retirees from having to go through whatever state requirements to have the carry license.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These links will help but it's still confusing. Bush signed the original law (HR 218), then Obama signed an amendment which expanded the number of LEOs/former LEOs eligible. However, if you agency won't issue the required credentials you're out of luck.

A good summary:

https://www.nraila.org/article...rry-law-apply-to-you

LOTS of info:

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/leosa/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Don't carry hollow point ammo and don't carry pistols with mags over ten rounds if you are traveling the 95 corridor in the Northeast and Midatlantic regions.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
Don't carry hollow point ammo and don't carry pistols with mags over ten rounds if you are traveling the 95 corridor in the Northeast and Midatlantic regions.

Are the working LE agencies in those areas subject to the same restrictions?

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
Ammo is now covered by the LEOSA, and has been for many years. Magazines are not.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926B
18USC926B(e)(2): "As used in this section, the term "firearm" - includes ammunition not expressly prohibited by Federal law or subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act . . ."

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

Yes, he got card from DOD and qualified last week. While that privilege is nice it seems they have more restrictions then CCW holders.

Kevin

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Combat Vet:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

Yes, he got card from DOD and qualified last week. While that privilege is nice it seems they have more restrictions then CCW holders.

Kevin

Indeed, it can be in some states depending on where he lives/visits. I still keep several of my CCW's active, home state and others, just in case.

9/11/01 Never Forget

posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

My brother wrote about me in this post.
Do you know the Navy is currently in processing of granting to MA's so if thats what you do,
you should be covered soon. Not sure of the requirements Navy place on you. Good luck.

quote:

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one that thinks this program is comeplete bullshit?

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
Am I the only one that thinks this program is complete bullshit?

Nope.

Rules for one class, but not the other.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post