SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling all Bikers, the kind with pedals...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all Bikers, the kind with pedals... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I agree, go to a few shops and check them out. Bikes are a super value, there will be many that will work.
I recommend buying one with disc brakes, as they work as well wet as when dry.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone who has said go to a local bike shop. Go to several local bike shops. Then buy from them.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Of the types of bikes, I would recommend a hybrid, not a down-handlebar road bike or a knobby-tire mountain bike. Hybrids have handlebars that allow you to sit up, which will likely be more comfortable. More wind resistance? Great, more effort and more calories burned. If you're area has hills, I'd recommend one with three chainwheels (the front gears) to include one very low gear for the hills.
It used to be that cheap bikes had hardware that was no good, but I think today even cheaper shifters and brakes are decent.
Don't spend a lot of money on your first bike, you will move up if you enjoy it.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
You're getting great advice regarding going to a local shop, preferably one that sells different brands. My local shop sells Trek, Specialized, Cannondale and Giant. My wife and I both have Trek. Mine is a dual sport, looks like a mountain bike but the tires are not as aggressive. I'm 52 and it's helped me drop 60+ lbs. since last May. One other thing I would recommend is looking at upgrading the saddle (seat). The bike itself was great but the saddle wasn't. I recently bought a Brooks B-17 and I love it. Good luck and have fun.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Find a shop that fits you, and then find the bike.

Buy the bike you want to ride or you will end up parking the bike in the garage.

if you like a road bike get a road bike, but if you want to run wider tires get a gravel bike (road bike style with disk brakes and the ability to run wider tires).

get your bike fit to you, and remember you can always upgrade wheels to ones that better support your weight (I am 350 pounds and I ride a road bike).

get out and ride, try some group rides, and most of all have fun.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
One other thing I would recommend is looking at upgrading the saddle (seat). The bike itself was great but the saddle wasn't. I recently bought a Brooks B-17 and I love it.

That is definitely worth noting, IMO.

There's no one saddle fits all. If the saddle that comes with the bike isn't to your liking, there are dozens of options out there. The bike shop should have a little board filled with gel that changes colors to let them know where your sit bones are and recommend saddles based off that.

Bontrager has a 30 day comfort guarantee on their saddles. While it may feel okay riding around the store parking lot, you really don't get a good feel for a saddle until you get some miles in.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
go to reputable bike shop and spend some time talking to cyclists. Demo some different types and brands. I would steer you towards a fitness bike or a road endurance road bike ( they have slacker geometry for people who want to put in more miles with less worry about being areo.

make sure you get a decent helmet and seat. 2 areas that are worth upgrades

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Look at Fuji. Their Sportif models are made with a more relaxed fit. They are endurance bikes. The Grand Fondo is the same version in carbon fiber. A lot of money.

Really work to get where you can run pedals and shoes. I prefer Shimano SPD-SL. Once you get used to clipping in, riding becomes more enjoyable.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A $50 garage sale bike that fits would make a good starter bike. You want the frame just under your crotch when standing. Make sure you are in first gear when you start pedaling. The seat should be high enough to that your knee is only slightly bent at full down-pedal.

If it fits, but it. Maybe change the tires and add cork tape to the handlebars.

You can pick up a very nice 1970s Schwinn for nearly nothing which just needs a little TLC. Pick the bike up from the handlebars and spin the front tire. If it completes a revolution without much wobble, doesn't get hung up on the brake pads, it should work.

I keep the tires on my 1980s Raleigh Technium at 90# when I ride. The stems are not Schrader, so it is a bit of a PITA, but correct tire pressure, sturdy wheels, and brakes are all you need to get started.

Happy pedaling! Wear a helmet.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Regarding saddle selection, many novice cyclists seek the holy grail saddle, which may not exist. I've concluded that most saddles are designed to look good in the store. More padding, usually makes a less comfortable saddle.

I also believe that a ratio of waist size to thigh size has a lot to do with saddle comfort. Bigger thighs and smaller waist increases saddle comfort. It is a saddle, not a seat. Legs support some of your weight.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
99.9% of 250 pound 58 year old people who don't bike and then buy a bike won't put any meaningful time on it.

My rec is get an electric assist bike. Felt Lobowski can be had for about $3k. I know, expensive, but I promise you will ride it about 10 times as much. You still get as much workout as you want.

My dad (74 years old) got one and it is super fun. You still pedal and sweat, you just don't die on the uphills. Great for camping. I'm getting my wife one next season so she can kinda almost keep up with me on the trail.

Anywho...no offense. Just an observation I've noticed over the years. Biking is kinda tough for the non-inititiated to get into if you are not young and/or in shape. Electric assist was designed for your situation.

Posts: 282 | Registered: January 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
All, Thanks for the GREAT info and advice.

Bakes, I'm trying to be a .01%'er! Cool

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to road race out in Cali when I lived in Palo Alto. Proud to say I bought my first Pinarello in 1979. I am now 65 and if I was the OP, I'd look for a city bike. Think fenders for wet weather and some small saddle bags for grocery type items. Me I'd build one up that was from old parts with a decently scratched up old frameset. Something most thieves would not be interested in but would still get me around and keep me fit. If you go to a shop try and chat with the bike mechanics in the back they might even help you build one up.

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
I'd like to start getting more excerise and I think I want a road bike. Just want a good one to ride around the neighborhood, etc. I'm a squatty guy (58 years old, 5'7", 250) and when I look at the bike charts they are all over the map in terma of what size frame, etc. I would need. Any thoughts on size, brand, type, etc. Would be greatly appreciated as I am clearly a newb.

Sigforum never ceases to amaze me.

I started to read the initial post to the wife, and she was certain that it was my post.

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
I'd like to start getting more excerise and I think I want a road bike.
same here

Just want a good one to ride around the neighborhood, etc.
same here

I'm a squatty guy (58 years old, 5'7", 250) ...
I'm 58, 5'7", 255

Any thoughts on size, brand, type, etc. Would be greatly appreciated as I am clearly a newb.
same dilemma. I have been to 4 bike shops; one I ran from, the others I left for one reason or another. I had one last local shop I was going to check out tonight.

After convincing my wife that I wasn't Cobra21, I read through the thread and followed the advice. I looked up a couple of bike clubs in my area (being in Chicagoland, I found about 20 bike clubs in the metro-suburban area).

I sent six emails to three members of each of the clubs, and got four responses (three last night and one this morning).

Of the four, three highly recommended the last bike shop on my list. Razz One of the guys who responded said that he now lives an hour away, yet won't consider another bike shop and makes the two-hour round trip to continue to use this shop.

Thanks to all for the great advice. I hope it was as helpful to Cobra21 as it has been for me.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I followed advice similar to what has been posted so far back in 1997. I went to several dealers to get fit, kicked around garage sales and pawn shops before venturing back to the Trek dealer and buying an 820 mountain bike.

Last spring I replaced the seat as the original TREK was getting stiff and hard and not comfortable anymore. This spring I pulled it out of the garage and discovered both tubes were bad, I think it cost me $23 at a local shop for both of them, installed. At some point I will need to adjust the cables a bit.

Other than the seat and the tubes it is completely original. I basically pull it out, wipe it down in the spring, spray oil the chain, check the tires, hop on and hit the road. Granted I've ridden it more and harder this year than ever before (1-3x per day, around 3-5 miles at 12mph avg pace with peaks around 18-19mph) The tires aren't really showing any wear for a bike of it's age and when I pedal, it goes. In my younger days I rode mountain bike trails, some fairly aggressive. The bike and I tumbled town a hill once, it survived way better than I did.

Bottom line: If you buy a quality bike, you'll have it for a long time.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post