SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling all Bikers, the kind with pedals...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all Bikers, the kind with pedals... Login/Join 
Picture of Cobra21
posted
I'd like to start getting more excerise and I think I want a road bike. Just want a good one to ride around the neighborhood, etc. I'm a squatty guy (58 years old, 5'7", 250) and when I look at the bike charts they are all over the map in terma of what size frame, etc. I would need. Any thoughts on size, brand, type, etc. Would be greatly appreciated as I am clearly a newb.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best advice is find/visit a Trek dealer. They will assist you picking out what you need/want. They will do all the proper adjustments
I am 81, I Only ride the neighborhood streets, cause I have very slight case of vertigo. I ride a measures 3.5 mile loop daily and have it down to 15-16 minutes.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
For what you describe, you don't need a fancy road bike. Get what is sometimes called a city bike with fatter, lower pressure, tires. After I retired I bought a Cannondale 50-50 and rode it for several years unitl I crashed and broke my hip. Look at Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, etc. Bike mfr websites will have guides to help you find the correct frame size, or visit some bike shops. True road bikes are more delicate and uncomfortable to ride.

Wear a good helmet!!!

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Getting a good fit is complicated and critical to comfort if you intend to ride for very long. It is not just a matter of seat height adjustment.

Everybody is different, leg length, torso, arms, etc. Pro bike shops are set up to do the measurements, with variations in skill and experience of course. Just about every part on a bike can be adjusted and set for a given body, frame size, crank lengths, handlebars, etc. Frame geometry is fixed for a given model, but can be selected as needed to start.

When I went through this decades ago, I found the serious riders and found out who they used.

If you ride 10 miles, it is not so critical. As you ride a lot more, it will be.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'll second the above comments. Find a local bike shop & have them fit you to a bike.
The couple local to me carry multiple brands, so I imagine similar there, take a couple test rides & figure out what you like.

Trek, Cannondale, Specialized all make a good bike.
Knowing your size, will allow you also browse for a used bike, or the LBS may have some 'trade-in' bikes.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not rocket surgery, but if you really don't know what to do, a local bike shop really can give you good advice.
Ask some local racers or serious fitness cyclists for a referral. You don't necessarily want to be a racer, but the racers will know which shops really know bicycles. Some bike shops just hire the same people who would apply at walmart.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
OP:

You and I are/were built very similar. I'm slowly dropping the weight, but when I was at my heaviest, I found it more comfortable to ride a traditional looking bike vs the distance bike with skinny tires that I use now.

Reason being that leaning over on the lower handlebars put a lot of weight on my hands and made long distances uncomfortable.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
The key parameter of bike fit is a standing measurement from the floor to as high as a thin book goes into your crotch. This establishes a frame size then it can be fit with changing of handlebar stems if you are long or short torso.

Many inexperienced cyclists wish to adjust their bikes to take weight off their hands, remember that all your weight has to be supported by something. Weight off the hands means more weight on the saddle.

I've been riding road bikes since 1975 and mostly ride and appreciate what are called classic and vintage bicycles. Part of their allure is they are a very good value. I recently bought a very nice hand made in Montreal bike I found on craigslist half way across the country. My brother was cruising on his new to him 40' cruising boat and met the seller at a marina 3 miles from the sellers house to pick it up. It's beautiful.

This bicycle forum has a section for larger riders which could help.

http://www.bikeforums.net/clyd...thenas-200-lb-91-kg/

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Excellent advice in the above posts. You might review this article for some additional thoughts

http://thesweethome.com/review...ybrid-commuter-bike/

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
The key parameter of bike fit is a standing measurement from the floor ........ mostly ride and appreciate what are called classic and vintage bicycles.

That does work reliably for classic & vintage bikes. But with the new sloping top tube designs, it gets all weird. You have to either know your size from past experience, or know how to balance the "Stack" and "reach" measurements.
For example, I am a pretty sold ""54 cm" in classic bikes. But I am riding a "50" in a sloping top tube model that sizes off the seat tube length. I usually shoot for an "effective top tube" size of 53-54.

But no beginner needs to agonize about all this. Just go to the shop! Smile

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
The key parameter of bike fit is a standing measurement from the floor ........ mostly ride and appreciate what are called classic and vintage bicycles.

That does work reliably for classic & vintage bikes. But with the new sloping top tube designs, it gets all weird. You have to either know your size from past experience, or know how to balance the "Stack" and "reach" measurements.
For example, I am a pretty sold ""54 cm" in classic bikes. But I am riding a "50" in a sloping top tube model that sizes off the seat tube length. I usually shoot for an "effective top tube" size of 53-54.

But no beginner needs to agonize about all this. Just go to the shop! Smile

Similar to Austin Powers father telling the unbadged henchman to just fall down, should I just go ahead and post a link to my advice in the "Bad Forum Advise" thread?

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes to the above.

What surface will you be on? Dirt, gravel, paved bike trails?

Check out the Trek FX, Specialized Sirrus, etc. These flat bar hybrids have a great selection in sizing and components. The entry level is $300-400 and good components. Step up to nicer components. The frames will be the same across the series, until you really jump up in price to get into carbon. The FX and Sirrus use alloys.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Calling all Bikers, the kind with pedals...

Big Grin

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Riders of bicycles are properly called "cyclists", I think; "Bikers" connotes motorcycle riders, particularly 1%ers.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a visit to the local thrift shops or Goodwill. Lots of nice bikes can be had for 30 to 50 bucks. Find one that feels right and use it until you know whether or not you are actually going to cycle. If you are, you now have the knowledge to make a more informed decision on buying a new bike.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The problem with shops like Goodwill, it that the bikes are typically your Huffy variety of heavy, ridden hard cheaper bikes. I can't recall ever seeing a Trek at a Goodwill.

May have some luck in local pawn shops, one local to me had a decent looking Cannondale Synapse for a little while at a decent discount to new. But, you'd want to know your bike size before going that sort of route.

I bought my first road bike on Craigslist & at 58cm, it was too big for me, I'd gone off of an online sizing chart, and went with the estimate there.
My current bike is a 55cm, IIRC, and a much better fit.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to more than one local shop, talk to them and explain your goals. Not everyone will try to put you on a race bike, especially if you're honest with them up front. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good, comfortable bike to ride safely. However, I'd forego the goodwill route and stick with a legit shop. You'll get familiar with stack and reach numbers (the key to the correct frame sizing), but only with some shop time. Always wear a helmet (almost split mine in half in my lone road wreck) that fits correctly, and make sure you're aware of your state's cycling laws. Most now require a rear light, and sometimes a front light, so make sure you're in the know. Good luck, cycling is great as long as you stay upright!

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The importance of proper Fit and Posture cannot be overstated. Improper fit leads to wonky posture which leads to discomfort and injury as time in the saddle goes on.

Have a local shop help you with fit.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Cobra,

A lot of bike shops have a rental program. Definitely worth renting a road bike and hybrid to see if you prefer one over the other.

You might like a hybrid style bike. The Trek FX series is very popular and not too hard on the wallet.

quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Getting a good fit is complicated and critical to comfort if you intend to ride for very long. It is not just a matter of seat height adjustment.

That is great advice there.

Getting fitted is, in my opinion, the best value one can spend on their bicycling journey. They will go through everything from saddle height/angle/forward/backward, type of saddle, handle bar angle, stem length/angle, etc.

There are dozens of combinations.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
JALLEN hit it in is post. Go to a shop and try them on. Bikes aren't unlike shoes in this way.

Your tagline says you're in the DFW area. I have to believe there are a few good big shops with great selection there. When I got my bikes (mountain and road), I tried a bunch, and the shops I went to were more than willing to help me through the process. If not, go somewhere else.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post