SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody Have The New Purple Mattress? - Delivered 8/25
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody Have The New Purple Mattress? - Delivered 8/25 Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted
I'm in the market for a new mattress and Purple was one of them on my radar. They recently came out with a "new and improved" version of their original.

Anybody have one? If so, what do you think?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: a1abdj,

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Tagged. I've been wondering about this mattress as well.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
How much do you weigh?
I weigh 230 and found the purple mattress, and Leesa mattress unable to support my weight unless I slept flat on my back. Side sleeping just hurt as neither supported my hips.
Worst you can do is order, try one out, and do the free return if you are not a fan.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSB3:
How much do you weigh?
I weigh 230 and found the purple mattress, and Leesa mattress unable to support my weight unless I slept flat on my back. Side sleeping just hurt as neither supported my hips.
Worst you can do is order, try one out, and do the free return if you are not a fan.
Oh well. I go about 225 myself and feared that very support issue. Guess I'll need to keep looking.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
We bought a king purple 2 with the 2 inch rubber grid top. I am 6 3 230 lbs my wife is 5 2 120 lbs (tiny amount of motion transfer) and its been wonderful for us. I sleep the whole night through and its good for my back....I mostly am a side sleeper. We have the purple pillows too. The mattress is cool and you sleep on it rather than in it. Didnt like temperpedic as i sank into it like a giant sloth in a tar pit. I highly recomend it. It is heavy (150 lbs) and needs a solid foundation. I bought a metal "box spring" with the slats 3 inches appart. I would recomend the P2 over the original purple....more support with the added pocketed coils. We talked our contractor into getting one...if i had to do it over, i'd get the 4" top.

Hope this helps
Jaycat

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much do you weigh?

I'm light. 160.

quote:
found the purple mattress, and Leesa mattress unable to support my weight unless I slept flat on my back. Side sleeping just hurt as neither supported my hips.

This is what they claim the new mattresses have been designed to prevent.

Original Purple was 2" of their grid over foam. The new mattresses are 2", 3" or 4" of grid over pocketed coil springs.

quote:
Didnt like temperpedic as i sank into it like a giant sloth in a tar pit.

I haven't slept on any of them, but laying in them at the store gave me the same impression.

quote:
I mostly am a side sleeper.

quote:
if i had to do it over, i'd get the 4" top

Based on what I have read from strangers online, the 4" is the best for side sleepers because it has the most give for the pressure points.

General consensus is that the new 2 is even firmer than the original and good for back sleepers, 3 for combination sleepers, and 4 for side sleepers.

With it being an unconventional mattress, did you need time to adjust, or was it instantly better than what you were accustomed to?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
Instantly better. My wife says the bed is like a drug. The dogs like it too

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Loom n leaf for me after a lot of research. Similar to purple but a bit more expensive but half the price of tempurpedic. Check out the comparison websites.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Updated title as I ordered the Purple 4 mattress today.

Most of the negative reviews I have been seeing lately relate to the shipping/delivery time, or the "white glove" delivery service they use. "White glove" companies have attempted to infiltrate my industry in the past which results in the same thing I have been seeing in the reviews.

One small snafu in the ordering process, which apparently uses your zip code to calculate the sales tax rate. My zip code spans two counties, and includes one city with its own rate in addition to that of the state and county. Roughly a $53.00 overcharge because I'm not in the city or even the county that they were basing the rate off of. Quick call to customer service and they asked that I submit the order as is, then they will credit the difference once they figure out how to adjust things on their end.

I'll let everybody who's interested know what I think when it gets here.

www.zykansafe.com

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Well that was fast. Placed the order this Monday and their delivery company brought it out today. Apparently I'm in the early group of those who are getting them delivered in a bag as opposed to a box. They must have figured out how to compress the springs to get it to roll.

They credited my card for the sales tax the day after it was ordered. Delivery service was prompt and communicated well. So far, so good. Let's just hope it's good to sleep on. Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If you end up returning it, don't expect to be able to get it back into the bag. Big Grin

I tried out the original Purple, and while my back loved it, my bad shoulder did not. Ended up returning it and the best I could do was try to roll it up (which didn't work) and wrap it with some duct tape. UPS took it, and the refund came through.

More props for Amazon here. My return was at around 75 days. Purple had a 90 day return thing. I bought mine from Amazon which has a 30 day return thing. Amazon honored the Purple return guarantee even though they didn't have to.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you end up returning it, don't expect to be able to get it back into the bag.

They cut the bag to get it out, so it's definitely not going back in. Big Grin

They thought this was one of the originals that used the foam until the guy grabbed it to pull it out. All of their previous versions of these that they delivered came in a box. I thought it was coming in a box. We verified the stickers on the bag all matched before we opened it because we weren't expecting a coil spring mattress to be rolled up.

It's a 200 pound slinky with no good place to grab it. They said they preferred this rolled like it was as opposed to loose in a box. Just put it on their shoulders and walked it in. If we don't like it, they'll also send somebody back out to remove it.

www.zykansafe.com

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Too late to be relevant, but we have had our Tempurpedic Standard Cali-King for about 10 years and absolutely love it. They are not cheap (no idea what a comparable Purple runs), but is worth every penny spent. I have slept on the same spot the entire time and there is no sign of compression.

Just be sure, if you haven't already, to invest in a high quality waterproof top cover. with a good one, you will never know it is there. Spills and accidents happen.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I have been interested in this brand of mattress for some time. Please remember to give us a detailed range report about your new mattress.
Did you buy the base with your mattress?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you buy the base with your mattress?

No. Purple only wants to warranty the bed under specific conditions (which our existing bed does), essentially having it placed on a solid surface.

Some of the original Purple owners like to put them on top of box springs or another mattress to give them that little extra give. Granted I'm not that heavy, but I've bounced around on this pretty good and I don't see anyway that you could get enough pressure on it to bottom it out anywhere. Just laying on it I doubt I'm deeper than an inch on my back, and maybe 2 inches on my side. Makes sense to have it on something solid.

www.zykansafe.com

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Tempurpedic if this one doesn't work out.
We've had ours for well over ten years and it's still doing well. Our cost per night slept on it is getting really low at this point.
I'm a really thrifty guy (my wife says cheap) and I'd buy another one when this one is done.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Hope you enjoy it.

Just as a point of reference for anyone looking at this thread for info, we’ve had a Leesa king mattress for about 5 months now. I love it, by far the best sleeping mattress I’ve ever had. I’m 5’11” 250 lbs. and my wife is 5’8” 120 lbs. (when she’s not pregnant). We both enjoy it. With our hot summers we were both worried about body heat but it’s a non-issue as it doesn’t hold heat like earlier iterations.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who just bought a Leesa, he likes it she doesn't. I laid on a few foam mattresses and had two "complaints". To me if felt as if I was laying in quicksand, and as you move it takes several second for the material to fill back out.

I move a lot in my sleep (perhaps due to conventional mattresses), and when I roll over I don't want to end up back in the hole I was just in. I know some mattresses are better about this than others. This was the appeal of the Purple to me. The polymer grid acts like a foam from a support standpoint but has an instant recovery. I'm also a side sleeper which has you deeper in the bed than a back sleeper would be.

It would have been nice to see some of these products in person prior to buying them, but even when doing that you won't know what it's really like to sleep on one. I'm really hoping this one works because I don't want to have to go through this process yet again. Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

posted Hide Post
How was your first night on it?

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
How was your first night on it?

Different. It does have an entirely different feel than any other mattress I have been on. I don't sleep well absent my normal environment so it will take me a few days to fully adjust enough to sleep through the night.

www.zykansafe.com