SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quasi-news stories that shouldn't exist
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quasi-news stories that shouldn't exist Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Stuff like this:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/20...ufo-hunters-say.html

To anyone who actually believes stuff like this, I just have one question for you; just exactly how stupid are you?

And stuff like this:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...esignated-space.html

News stories about a note left for someone on their car or notes left for some waiter or waitress, that say offensive things.

Good God, this is not news. First of all, about half the time, these notes are later found out to have been fabricated by the person whining about them. For the ones that are legitimate, who in the fuck cares?????

This is NOT news.

Feel free to contribute if you wish, but please do not bring politics into this thread.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I stumbled on a website today that is like the Onion, but in a bad way. Apparently everything they post as an article is bogus and made up - but they don't do it with humor or sarcasm and it is supposed to be taken as real news.

I'm sure that there are hundreds out there like this. Since even the "Real" news sites like fox are publishing B.S. now, God only knows how many fake news sites there are.

Makes it harder and harder to sort through the chaff and get anything real that you can trust.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm not talking about Fake news sites. Those links I posted are from Foxnews and they have no business being there.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
One of our local news sites, ksl.com, regularly reports which movies are being added to and dropped from Netflix.

Here's the latest, for all you enquiring minds:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=44077258&nid=1205

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Media is a business. The revenue comes from attracting attention, not the accuracy of the editorial content, the news hole, etc.

Anything that seems likely likely to generate views, or listens, is fair game. It's astonishing sometimes to see what folks will pay attention to.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well they have to have some filler to take up space between the One hundredth person giving their opinion on the firing of James Comey and Chuckie poo bitching about the latest thing that President Trump did and how the Russians helped steal the election from that saint Hilary. Yea right!

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'm not talking about Fake news sites. Those links I posted are from Foxnews and they have no business being there.

This has baffled me for some time. I had to spend an inordinate amount of time this week around televisions blaring one news station or another. If the stories aren't some slant, they are ridiculous fluff stories or the same bogus bullshit in your examples above. Used to be reputable news sources wouldn't touch this stuff-it's one of the things that made them reputable. It's nearly all crap now.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:
Well they have to have some filler to take up space between the One hundredth person giving their opinion on the firing of James Comey and Chuckie poo bitching about the latest thing that President Trump did and how the Russians helped steal the election from that saint Hilary. Yea right!
Did you read my post? Did you happen to notice anything?

I bolded it. Should it have also been in all caps and with arrows pointing at it?

Please, have mercy. Seriously, please have mercy. Why does every thread have to be infected with politics? Is it not possible to have a discussion about news outlets without interjecting freaking Washington politics? I can't even begin to tell you guys how fed up I am with politics infecting everything here.

Let's try this:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>********* PLEASE DO NOT BRING POLITICS INTO THIS THREAD *************<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Marvin the Martian has learned how to build a tank - we need Duck Dodgers ASAP.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Did I just actually see an article about alien tanks???? Wow, just well wow.

Mr. Cronkite I hope you are in a better place and not reading today's "news".

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Did I just actually see an article about alien tanks????
Yes, and featured on FoxNews, no less. Shameful. Old newspaper guys I knew way back when are spinning in their graves.

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I remember a time when the news was thirty minutes. Now the "news" is run twenty-four hours, but there's simply not that much new news. Therefore, these idiots will fill that space with anything some fool will look at.

I know I'm not telling anyone here some super-secret inside info, but there is apparently no shortage of dolts who hang on every word, & consider it gospel.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Is it everyone involved, or is it the editors, or owners, reporters ?

Even though journalism classes have likely degraded to the point of ridicule - surely they aren't teaching the beat guys that this stuff will pass as journalism...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about every "celebrity" break-up, romance or hollywood feud.
Really are there no stories about real people or news that actually might matter?

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Is it everyone involved, or is it the editors, or owners, reporters ?
You've touched on a big part of the problem- unsupervised, unpaid interns managing the content of news web sites.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
National Inquirer syndrome... Truth has no place in a profitable "news" business..

We all know stupid stuff gets people's attention, and its apparent that journalism is no longer about getting the right story, or the story right, it's about eyeballs and clicks translated money..

Don Henley had it right, Dirty Laundry...

I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something
Something I can use
People love it when you lose
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor
But I wound up here
I just have to look good
I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers
In everybody's pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

We can do the Innuendo
We can dance and sing
When it's said and done
We haven't told you a thing
We all know that Crap is King
Give us dirty laundry

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I think their stories speak to the intellect of their audience.

Short attention span, low I.Q., comparative lit majors.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

Well, uh, that includes me, and probably you, too, as well as a substantial portion of our member base in this forum. I've never considered myself stupid or easily distracted, and I don't recall taking any comp lit classes.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

Well, uh, that includes me, and probably you, too, as well as a substantial portion of our member base in this forum.

I think you underestimate the quality of the average Sig Forum member's intellect.

We have experts here from nuclear physics to, yes, comparative literature.

I can't remember finding too many mouth breathers here.

This IS the source of reliable news and views. Everything else is a pale imitation. If I read it here, there is a very solid chance it is reliable.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm just addressing your statement, taking it at face value. I read FoxNews' website, therefore...

I'm not underestimating the members of this place. Maybe you are with that statement, but not I.