SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New LED recessed bulbs are buzzing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New LED recessed bulbs are buzzing Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

We recently transitioned the recessed lighting in our kitchen to dimmable CREE LED bulbs (BR30) from Home Depot. We also installed a CL dimmer 3-way switch (the other switch is a standard non-CL switch and is not dimmable). These bulbs are buzzing/humming when using the dimmer but also when at full brightness. Is there any way to fix this? Maybe its the fact that the other switch is not CL/dimmable? We tried some cheaper GE LED bulbs which didn't have this problem, but we didn't care for the type of light they produced. These CREE soft white 2700K bulbs are much better. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chris

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
It's the bulbs and dimmer combo. Even when the bulbs are dimmable they sometime will only work with specific dimmers.

Do the bulbs list specific dimmer models?

edit to add: the regular 3-way switch is not the problem. You do not want to use two dimmers on a set of lights. Alway one dimmer and the other switches standard 3-way.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I just put Cree 2700k BR30's in my cans in the kitchen and had to upgrade my dimmer to a CL. I have a 4 way setup with one Lutron CL dimmer and two companion dimmers with no buzzing if that's any help.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I just put Cree 2700k BR30's in my cans in the kitchen and had to upgrade my dimmer to a CL. I have a 4 way setup with one Lutron CL dimmer and two companion dimmers with no buzzing if that's any help.

mark60... I used a Lutron CL dimmer as well. If possible, can you tell me the exact part number? I just checked the "works best with" list and mine is not on it:

http://creebulb.com/media/docu...-16-dimmer-sheet.pdf

Thanks!

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
This
Is the dimmer I put in.
The Cree bulbs I put in came in a 2 pack and said they were a new product.

I just pulled the following off Lutron's website, I had companion dimmers in place because I wanted multi location dimming.

Do I need a companion dimmer for multi-location dimming and switching?
Not always, as it depends on the model number. Some products, such as the Maestro® C·L® dimmer, will work with a standard mechnical switch in a 3-way application. Other models may require a master and a companion device. Note: In a 4-way application, companion devices are always required.
Was this FAQ helpful?

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:

mark60... I used a Lutron CL dimmer as well. If possible, can you tell me the exact part number? I just checked the "works best with" list and mine is not on it:

http://creebulb.com/media/docu...-16-dimmer-sheet.pdf

Thanks!

Masestro CL dimmers are the least likely to give you problems out of them all, also one of the most expensive too.

It's all a crapshoot, master electrician with 20 years experience, it took me four hours and three trips to Lowe's and Home Depot to find a combination of LEDs and dimmers to work in my GFs and my offices. I cross referenced and bought a recommended dimmer too.

It has to do with the technology used to actually do the dimming - Triac, solid state, forward/reverse phase. Reverse phase and ones marked ELV are the best in general for LEDs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post