SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon HQ2 Real Announcement
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon HQ2 Real Announcement Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Amazon hasn't paid any federal taxes for the last two years

Profits of $5.6 Billion in 2017, and $ 11.2 Billion in 2018, but zero federal taxes for both years.

Posts: 19575 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Amazon hasn't paid any federal taxes for the last two years

Profits of $5.6 Billion in 2017, and $ 11.2 Billion in 2018, but zero federal taxes for both years.

That's an interesting statement....any link to the source?

Reason I say that, is here is their discussion of income taxes from page 22 of AMZN's Feb 2019 10K filing:link
quote:
In 2016 , 2017 , and 2018 , we recorded net tax provisions of $1.4 billion , $769 million , and $1.2 billion

Amazon Oct 2018 10-Q notes that for the nine month period Jan-Sept they paid $755M in 2017 and $870M in 2018.

Now, yes, these are financial reports and not tax returns - but still, it sure looks like they're getting taxed to me.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
"That's an interesting statement....any link to the source?"

https://itep.org/amazon-in-its...ederal-income-taxes/

Amazon, the ubiquitous purveyor of two-day delivery of just about everything, nearly doubled its profits to $11.2 billion in 2018 from $5.6 billion the previous year and, once again, didn’t pay a single cent of federal income taxes.

The company’s newest corporate filing reveals that, far from paying the statutory 21 percent income tax rate on its U.S. income in 2018, Amazon reported a federal income tax rebate of $129 million. For those who don’t have a pocket calculator handy, that works out to a tax rate of negative 1 percent. The fine print of Amazon’s income tax disclosure shows that this achievement is partly due to various unspecified “tax credits” as well as a tax break for executive stock options.

This isn’t the first year that the cyber-retailing giant has avoided federal taxes. Last year, the company paid no federal corporate income taxes on $5.6 billion in U.S. income.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

also:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/ma...second-year-in-a-row

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From the Amazon 10k:

"We are subject to a variety of taxes and tax collection obligations in the U.S. (federal and state) and numerous foreign jurisdictions."

So when the report mentions "income tax", it doesn't identify how much is for U.S. federal tax

note: I am not a financial guy, and am not skilled at interpreting a detailed 10-k

posted Hide Post
quote:

Amazon, the ubiquitous purveyor of two-day delivery of just about everything, nearly doubled its profits to $11.2 billion in 2018 from $5.6 billion the previous year and, once again, didn’t pay a single cent of federal income taxes.

The company’s newest corporate filing reveals that, far from paying the statutory 21 percent income tax rate on its U.S. income in 2018, Amazon reported a federal income tax rebate of $129 million. For those who don’t have a pocket calculator handy, that works out to a tax rate of negative 1 percent. The fine print of Amazon’s income tax disclosure shows that this achievement is partly due to various unspecified “tax credits” as well as a tax break for executive stock options.

This isn’t the first year that the cyber-retailing giant has avoided federal taxes. Last year, the company paid no federal corporate income taxes on $5.6 billion in U.S. income.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

also:

Are they breaking the law?

If not, then what's the problem?

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:

I'm not sure there is a problem, it's a big company that is leveraging its position to minimize overhead and tax burden. Anyone else would be considered smart to do this, no?

The AOC's of the world hate these companies while buying stuff from them...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

I'm not sure there is a problem, it's a big company that is leveraging its position to minimize overhead and tax burden. Anyone else would be considered smart to do this, no?

Agreed, I want to pay as little tax as possible without breaking the law.

I'll be the first to say that the tax law(s) are super stupid.

Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Page 17 of the 10Q Statement:

Cash paid for income taxes, net of refunds was $172 million and $200 million in Q3 2017 and Q3 2018 , and $865 million and $1.0 billion for the nine months ended September 30, 2017 and 2018 .

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
From the 10-k,

"Income tax expense includes U.S. (federal and state) and foreign income taxes"

I didn't see a break out below that.

I don't have a problem w companies or people paying the lowest amount of tax according to the law.

If the federal law allows a company to make $ 16 B profit, and pay no federal tax, that doesn't sound like a good deal for the country.

posted Hide Post
Brilliant!

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/L8Oel5lVQAE

Now they have $3 Billion to blow!

ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
In what universe does her math exist? Incentives are given as a means to gain greater benefits, as in the 25,000 workers, average pay at $150,000 per capita. That's not including the additional benefit to local business that supply those workers with food, shelter, services. Nor does it include Amazon itself purchasing materials and services going forward for the life of their new HQ2.

She really believes she won this round. It's frightening how ignorant and arrogant she and her fellow colleagues are. For her own co-party Governor to call her out?

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is she thinks NY had this $3-billion to just 'give people'.

It was tax breaks, discounts, etc. Not real money.

Calling her a dumb bitch is an insult to real dumb bitches.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Funny thing is she thinks NY had this $3-billion to just 'give people'.

It was tax breaks, discounts, etc. Not real money.

Calling her a dumb bitch is an insult to real dumb bitches.
Like I said on page 3:

quote:
She may have got "her way", but I'm quite sure she hasn't a clue what "her way" got her. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She is the true definition of a stupid, dump bitch! I say screw the people in NYC as they have the ass holes that they voted for. Let them continue to drive people away and live in squaller.....But they got their way and AOC!

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Page 17 of the 10Q Statement:

Cash paid for income taxes, net of refunds was $172 million and $200 million in Q3 2017 and Q3 2018 , and $865 million and $1.0 billion for the nine months ended September 30, 2017 and 2018 .

Thanks for ferreting that out. Cash is king - income statement allowances are nice but it's writing the checks that matters. Wink

They probably have/had a bunch of tax-loss carryforwards from the years of losses.

Anyway, for those who are not MBA/CPAs - these mandatory SEC filings are done under regulations with fines and penalties (civil and criminal) for errors and ommissions. Contrast that with the penalties for fake news, and that may help you figure out what/whom to believe....

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not an expert on the subject but this is what appears to be happening and it's very common: In order to avoid paying corporate tax, corporations transfer that wealth (profit) to executives and other employees via stock incentives that the company is permitted to fully expense. This becomes taxable to the employees receiving the incentive. Here's the issue: the tax is deferred and it's typically taxed at a lower rate than the corporation would have paid and significantly less then the person would pay on normal income. In most cases, it becomes long term capital gain (because it's held more than a year) and it's taxed at that rate.

So, a billionaire like Bezos gets most of his compensation through this method and then pays a 15% tax rate.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not an expert on the subject but this is what appears to be happening and it's very common: In order to avoid paying corporate tax, corporations transfer that wealth (profit) to executives and other employees via stock incentives that the company is permitted to fully expense. This becomes taxable to the employees receiving the incentive. Here's the issue: the tax is deferred and it's typically taxed at a lower rate than the corporation would have paid and significantly less then the person would pay on normal income. In most cases, it becomes long term capital gain (because it's held more than a year) and it's taxed at that rate.

So, a billionaire like Bezos gets most of his compensation through this method and then pays a 15% tax rate.

It's not the government's money to begin with. Sure we need taxes to cover roads and defense, but other than that I couldn't give a shit if corporations and those who created those corporations keep it so it can be used to expand the business, hire people, etc.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

also:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From the Amazon 10k:

"We are subject to a variety of taxes and tax collection obligations in the U.S. (federal and state) and numerous foreign jurisdictions."

So when the report mentions "income tax", it doesn't identify how much is for U.S. federal tax

note: I am not a financial guy, and am not skilled at interpreting a detailed 10-k

So.
What!?

If you don't understand the idea of them racking up huge, I mean HUUUUGE losses in the many years leading up to finally showing a tiny profit and having carryover losses from then, you and others critiquing that most certainly shouldn't enter into discussion showing them to be not paying taxes on current income based on your limited definition of that.

The fact that they managed to keep pumping in the incredible funds needed to grow to this point and not tank beforehand is a testimony to an incredible story, an incredible story teller, their own printing press or a combo of those.

I'm not fan of Bezos personally or politically, but I am personally glad to see they decided NOT to drop money into the hellhole called New York. More power to them. How their federal income tax situation is related to that is beyond connection.

Are you suggesting the feds gave them a carve-out tax incentive to start a business in the USA?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
She doesn't connect that to the $27 billion in taxes that Amazon was going generate.....

Not that I agree with anything she says, but how many billions in taxes has Amazon cost us?

As far as I'm concerned her and Amazon are in the same boat of things that are bad for this nation.

Funny, just a few years ago, people said similar things about Walmart.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny, just a few years ago, people said similar things about Walmart.

Perhaps. But Walmart contributes to my local economy. It pays property tax (generally). It employs local persons. It uses the services of local businesses.

When your tax base goes down you have two choices. You either spend less, or tax those left behind more.

I know most here are happy to save a few dollars here on Amazon, but they don't consider the ramifications beyond their instant gratifications.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post