SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Transmission testing...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission testing... Login/Join 
Picture of C-Dubs
posted
Hi all.
I had to have my transmission completely rebuilt a year ago, after a bearing failed and shards of needle bearings took out my planetary, torque converter and pretty much everything in between.

The shop that did it only gave a 1-year warranty, which will expire next Thursday, the 21st.

So, I'm asking any mechanics, car guys, or greasy do-it-yourselfers for some ideas I can employ to check out my transmission function before the warranty expires.

It's a 2007 F150 XLT with the 4.2L 6-cylinder, and the 4R75W transmission if that helps.

For a short period of time, if I let it idle from a stop, it seemed like it had a hard shift from 1st into 2nd gear. But, I can't seem to duplicate that anymore. That was more than 6 months ago.

Just wondered if there were some things I could do to test it out and then approach the shop with.

I'm probably keeping the truck for another year or two before I start looking for a replacement.

Any, and all helpful ideas would be appreciated.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If it operates fine and there are no leaks it's probably OK.
The only other thing you might do is drain the pan and replace the filter to see if anything looks suspicious.
Otherwise, how much money do you want to throw at this?

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Otherwise, how much money do you want to throw at this?

Smile
I'd like to throw no money at it whatsoever.
I don't hear any funny noises, no whining or whirring or any other peculiar sounds.
Wasn't sure if there were some easy tests I could do to see if it performs weirdly under load, or in low gears.
It runs fine. Just want peace of mind that I won't have any more issues with it for a couple years until I look to replace it.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I assume that within one year you don't have enough miles on it to change the filter and fluid.

Looks like one of the problems they have is that the solenoids go bad and here is how you can check them:

http://etereman.com/blog/ford-...d-4r75w-transmission

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Looking at those schematics, I can only imagine how badly I could mess things up. Big Grin

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
You can sample the fluid in the dipstick tube and send it for analysis. Many contract labs do this.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
You can sample the fluid in the dipstick tube and send it for analysis. Many contract labs do this.

Though lube oil analysis can normally be done fairly quickly, I doubt he'll have the results before next Thursday.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
One of the 1-2 accumulator springs could be broken.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tow 16K up a 6% grade for ten miles at 65 miles an hour. If it overheats the transmission and fails it was good before you started this test.

In all seriousness unless you pull the pan and find some hard parts laying in the bottom, you will have a hard time getting warranty repair. Operates fine, even if fluid is burnt, they would probably just offer a fluid service. I would change fluid and filter to check for hard part damage. Just good maintenance. I look at it as getting a early oil change on a rebuilt engine for break-in (usually 500 miles). It is good insurance for under 200.00.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Not that it will likely reap any rewards, but it may be as good as anything: take it to the rebuilder and tell them the warranty is about to expire and will they please inspect it.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Not that it will likely reap any rewards, but it may be as good as anything: take it to the rebuilder and tell them the warranty is about to expire and will they please inspect it.

That was in my plans. I can mention the somewhat hard 1-2 shifts I felt early on, and ask them to check one last time.
Other than that, I'll take it for a spin and check the dipstick for condition of tranny fluid.

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:

That was in my plans. I can mention the somewhat hard 1-2 shifts I felt early on, and ask them to check one last time.
Other than that, I'll take it for a spin and check the dipstick for condition of tranny fluid.

I'm only speculating, but I think my 2003 Silverado sometimes has harsh 1-2 shifts maybe because I've let off the gas right before it shifts. I assume that the computer that controls the transmission has already decided the firmness of the shift according to wider throttle, and still does that shift when I let off the gas a bit. Maybe later transmission controls are faster reacting and don't do that.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post