SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home office/Wifi question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home office/Wifi question Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
Sooooo.....I had a moment of enlightenment or remembrance, or whatever you want to call it....

When we built our house, I asked them to run Cat-5 to every room. Totally forgot about that until just now. Checked and sure enough, I have Cat-5 already ran to this room, but being used as a phone jack. All of our phones are wireless so it serves no purpose in this bonus room. I just need to get an RJ45 outlet, wire it in, follow the cable in the basement where it terminates, unhook it and run it to the current router and I should be good to go....correct?

Most awesome. I do think wired is the best.

If it is indeed Cat-5, Cat-5e or Cat-6, then you should be GTG. If Cat-3, then not so much.

Putting the RJ-45 outlet and connector on can be a little tricky, but it's doable with the right tools and diagrams.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Sooooo.....I had a moment of enlightenment or remembrance, or whatever you want to call it....

When we built our house, I asked them to run Cat-5 to every room. Totally forgot about that until just now. Checked and sure enough, I have Cat-5 already ran to this room, but being used as a phone jack. All of our phones are wireless so it serves no purpose in this bonus room. I just need to get an RJ45 outlet, wire it in, follow the cable in the basement where it terminates, unhook it and run it to the current router and I should be good to go....correct?

Most awesome. I do think wired is the best.

If it is indeed Cat-5, Cat-5e or Cat-6, then you should be GTG. If Cat-3, then not so much.

I pulled the plate off the outlet just to make sure, and yep it's Cat-5e. Looks like I'll be stopping by Home Depot after I get new tires tomorrow to grab the few things I need. Much nicer not having to spend $100+, especially when new tires are going to be a pretty penny...... Frown

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the advice and help. It is greatly appreciated!!

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
A much better solution. That’s great.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
If your overall ISP speed is lower than 75 or so MBs, then nothing you can do will eliminate stuttering from Netflix if your kids are online. Well, nothing that money couldn't fix anyway.

That's untrue. We have "merely" 50mb/s and I just ran the following test, today, to demonstrate something unrelated:

quote:

Fired-up Netflix on the BD player, which is connected via that bridge, and had it play an episode of something (happened to be Hell On Wheels, an excellent series, if you haven't seen it); connected my laptop to the bridge and initiated a large-ish binary download to my local network server; flood-pinged the bridge from the LAN, and ran repeated speed tests from my iPad until the laptop upload finished. Speed tests averaged 57mb/s down, 11mb/s up on the tablet (I'm paying for 50/10), 20ms ping time. Had 20764 packets transmitted, 20710 received, +40 (0.2%) duplicates, 0.3% packet loss flood-pinging the bridge. 29mb/s upload speed on the laptop. ifconfig -a indicated "no hits, runs or errors" on the laptop's Ethernet interface. No disruptions in the feed to the BD player were observed. During this test the 5GHz utilization on the AP hit 89%.

Proper hardware, properly installed, can do wonders. Or what appears to be wonders, anyway Wink

quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm in agreement with radioman and others; save the WiFi for your iPad, cell phone, and other toys.

Wired is certainly preferable to wireless when feasible, but a good WiFi connection is suitable for most demands. See test above.

quote:

When we built our house, I asked them to run Cat-5 to every room. Totally forgot about that until just now. Checked and sure enough, I have Cat-5e already ran to this room, ...

Sweet Smile

quote:
... but being used as a phone jack. All of our phones are wireless so it serves no purpose in this bonus room. I just need to get an RJ45 outlet, wire it in, follow the cable in the basement where it terminates, unhook it and run it to the current router and I should be good to go....correct?

Yes. But you have to terminate it in jacks at both ends, properly, then run a patch cable from the other end to your router/switch.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post