SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The best Alkaline batteries that are commonly available?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The best Alkaline batteries that are commonly available? Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I use Energizers and Ray-O-Vac. I had some Ray-O-Vacs leak in the package and they sent me new replacements.

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Procell.

They're made by Duracell, but are not garden variety regular retail stuff.

It's the only one we use in certain types of medical equipment.

Procell is a bit difficult to find at local retail, we bought them wholesale, but you can get them from Amazon.

I've used literally 100,000 plus of these in medical pumps and can highly recommend them.

Thanks for that info. I think that you've converted me.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8919 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know it's not what you asked but I ordered two of the Siege AAs. They should be here tomorrow. I'll do a side by side test of new Duracells and 2 year Old rechargeable NIMH ENELOOPS and see how they fair.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p113565:
I know it's not what you asked but I ordered two of the Siege AAs.
They're nifty little lanterns.

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Problem could be USA vs Chinese Dura Cell.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:

Had a Duracell leak and swell in my Fenix. Hammered it out, but the switch was corroded. When I called Duracell, they asked for data off the battery and the cost of the flashlight. Then they sent me a refund for the cost of the flahlight.

Duracell for the win.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just threw away a wireless mouse because the Duracell AAA's leaked all over the inside of it. I've had Duracell D cells leak too, in flashlights.

Maybe being in Portland? We had a terrible problem in Maui with Duracells leaking--pretty much all bought from Costco, nowhere near expiration. Lost camera equipment, computer mice, etc.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
All alkaline batteries can leak. The chemistry and environmental shock, heat and humidity will make it happen eventually.

At least Duracell will replace your devices IF it happens.

I buy em at costco.

For serious use, go with lithium equivalents if possible.

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Kirkland offers a D cell battery?

Not sure, but Costco has terrific pricing on Duracell (they have D cells at Costco) and I've found them to be the longest lasting alkaline battery.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I've had tons of batteries leak, but I've never lost any equipment to the leak. I just brush out the powdery stuff, and call it a day. Am I doing it wrong?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a bunch of the Amazon badged aaa/AA/9v to have around the house. Researched them and they kept coming up as good to go in a lot of comparison tests.

But if you want stronger the Procell are very good batteries. What we used when my sister was going thru her cancer treatments and they used them in the portable chemo pump when traveling.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1110 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Duracells used to be my go-to. No more, as I too have had too many of them leak on me. Same for Kirkland, and yes, I too had many of them leak while in still in package. I read online that Kirklands were, maybe still are, made by Duracell, so that would explain they leakiness.

Nowadays, I get the cheapest batteries I can find at Harbor Freight. Surprisingly, even their Heavy Duty batteries that I got for free w/ coupon have worked decently for me on low-to-medium discharge purposes. At least I haven't had any of them leak on me.

Posts: 3183 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
I just threw away a wireless mouse because the Duracell AAA's leaked all over the inside of it. I've had Duracell D cells leak too, in flashlights.

Maybe being in Portland? We had a terrible problem in Maui with Duracells leaking--pretty much all bought from Costco, nowhere near expiration. Lost camera equipment, computer mice, etc.

Dunno, maybe. Although, for all the rain we get, the average humidity isn't really all that high - most of the time, though there are always a few weeks in the summer that are quite humid even without rain. People on the east coast and down south have significantly more humidity than we do.

The mouse I didn't really care about, I only paid like $15 for it. But I also have a fairly spendy electronic flash unit (Nikon) that's been damaged by leaking Duracells. I need to get that cleaned up and working again. I buy most of my batteries at Costco, not that that should have anything to do with the problem (unless Duracell bulk packages their QA rejects for them, which I kind of doubt).

Posts: 7260 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
After having had some leakage issues with Duracell batteries in recent years, I gave Ray-O-Vac Fusion batteries a try and really liked them. I've had a bit better luck with more recent Duracells but the Fusions are a great alternative.

Anything really important like optics and expensive equipment deserve something like Energizer Lithium to minimize if not eliminate any long term use / storage issues.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Siege AAs Amazon delivered today. They're small but keepers as the wife hasn't called them "cute" yet. I'm a fan of AAs as they always seem to be available.
Started my comparison on medium setting. Will take pics periodically. I had Eveready, not duracells.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
My kids go through the LARGE packs of Duracells we get at Sam's club so fast we never have leaks. We tried some Ray-O-Vac batteries a while back and they were downright worthless, dead in a matter of hours in some cases.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Regardless of battery brand, I use the automotive battery terminal cleaner and protector in all my flash lights and any other battery dependent device.

When a leak has occurred, the cleaner has restored most all those, adding the anti corrosion protection to ward off damage. It has worked pretty well so far.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:

Had a Duracell leak and swell in my Fenix. Hammered it out, but the switch was corroded. When I called Duracell, they asked for data off the battery and the cost of the flashlight. Then they sent me a refund for the cost of the flahlight.

Duracell for the win.

Duracell topped the charts in a Consumer Reports test years ago, so that's been my go to as a result. They haven't been perfect from a leakage standpoint, but their warranty is top notch. They sent me a check for $50.00 not long ago to replace an item damaged by a 9 year old battery. Leakage issues aside, they seem to last longer than competitors.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I have had some leakage from Evereadys; I don't think I've ever had leakage from Duracells. Duracell brands some alkalines "Procell" and they are priced economically. I've excellent results with their 9 volt "Procell", but I haven't used the D cells. These are what I'll buy for my next D cells:

https://www.amazon.com/DURACEL...2Bd%2Bbatteries&th=1

Procell.
I buy these all the time in all sizes.
Work well, good price, easy to buy off Amazon.

Posts: 22888 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
For your new lanterns, you might consider Low Self Discharge NiMH rechargeable, instead.

For something that gets infrequent use like a lantern, you can recharge the batteries whenever you feel like it to ensure you've got full batteries. With Alkalines, you never really know if the batteries are fresh, partially used, or partially discharged from disuse. I also find it easier to just freshly charge the battery before an outing, rather than carry a spare set of batteries "in case" the partially used ones run out.

Here are some highly regarded 8,000 mah rechargeable D batteries by Tenergy (avoid the Energizer brand ones, as those are just repackaged ~2000 mah AA batteries). I've been using Tenergy lithiums for 15 years now without problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy...=rechargeable+D+nimh
Aeteocles, you've never steered me wrong.

Because of the reputation of alkaline batteries, it was my intention to store my lanterns with no batteries installed. I was not aware that the newer rechargable batteries will hold a charged for so long.

If the claims by Tenergy are accurate and their batteries will hold 85% of a full charge for a year, then the rechargables can be stored in the lantern and the alkalines can sit in reserve. Perfect.

I assume that the rechargables are not prone to leakage?

What do you recommend for a charger?

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post