SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The best Alkaline batteries that are commonly available?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The best Alkaline batteries that are commonly available? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Specifically, D cells at the moment. I've used Eveready batteries for ages but I started looking around and discovered that there may now better performers, for instance, the Ray-O-Vac Ultra Pro.

Any opinions?

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Kirkland.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I pretty much stick with Duracells from Costco, esepecially when on sale. Every time I try a different variety it seems they do not last as long or perform as well.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Kirkland offers a D cell battery?

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
Kirkland.

Absolutely NOT!

Worst alkaleaks I've ever used, bar none. Heck, I've had Kirkland brand batteries start leaking in the packaging.

Don't know about the new Ray-O-Vac cells, Para. I've tended to stick with Duracell for Cs and Ds. Though, after having lost another Maglight to alkaleaks, I'm seriously considering giving Eneloops or Energizer lithiums with D-cell adaptors a try.

That would get alkaleaks out of my life entirely, save for the 9V cells in my smoke detectors and a couple other devices.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I frequently see complaints saying that alkaline batteries leak. I use many alkalines, in some expensive equipment: 9v in my FLUKE multimeter. AA in my SECA 876 and Ohaus scales, and my mini MAGLITE. D in my lantern and big MAGLITE. I use Duracell, and I've never had any of them leak. I do have calendar reminders to change them periodically (two years for most of them), regardless of usage.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It isn't so easy a question to answer. You have to specify whether you are interested in low drain or high drain applications. You can't compare testing for one size battery to another.

And the test better be recent, as the battery makers change designs, and the rebranders (like Kirkland) may change suppliers over time.

I found some data that indicated Ray-O-Vac D cells were the longest lasting, but it was data that was 12 years old.

One thing that was encouraging was that the "good" brands are pretty close to each other.

I can say Duracell stands by its guaranty. I had some of their batteries in a flash unit that leaked. Even though the batteries were beyond the use-by date, Duracell sent me a check for a new flash.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I still have leaking batteries now and then - mostly in stuff that doesn't get used for a year or more.

I tend to buy whatever from wherever. Walgreens brand does okay and they are on sale now and then. We've used some Kirkland and not had problems. I don't really notice much difference between any of the major brands. I just avoid the dollar store type shit.

I did finally buy some rechargeable CR123 types and like those a lot compared to the regular type.

Just saw post from JHE - and it backs up my experience. The major brands all seems to be pretty similar in performace.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I have had some leakage from Evereadys; I don't think I've ever had leakage from Duracells. Duracell brands some alkalines "Procell" and they are priced economically. I've excellent results with their 9 volt "Procell", but I haven't used the D cells. These are what I'll buy for my next D cells:

https://www.amazon.com/DURACEL...2Bd%2Bbatteries&th=1

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
Kirkland.

Absolutely NOT!

Worst alkaleaks I've ever used, bar none. Heck, I've had Kirkland brand batteries start leaking in the packaging.

I've had Duracell alkalines leak in the packaging, too.

I just hate alkaline batteries.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I used Duracells for years, and gladly paid extra for them, because they so seldom leaked if they weren't exposed to freezing conditions. Lately, though, I've found them leaking in the package, sometimes before their expiration date. Both AA and D cells.

At least Duracell's warranty will still repair or replace an item damaged by their batteries in the event of leakage.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just replaced most of my emergency "D" batteries used during Emma.
The Lanterns all had Eveready batteries most had dates two or three years ago, the oldest were 2012. Evidently I had not replaced them after the last power outage.

I replaced them all with Duracells because that is what Lowes had available. I have had good luck with Duracells in other sizes.

My problem is that I have no other use for "D" batteries except in my emergency lighting, and I seldom use it for more than a couple of hours. So I am more interested in shelf life than in the other areas of performance.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Para,

For your new lanterns, you might consider Low Self Discharge NiMH rechargeable, instead.

For something that gets infrequent use like a lantern, you can recharge the batteries whenever you feel like it to ensure you've got full batteries. With Alkalines, you never really know if the batteries are fresh, partially used, or partially discharged from disuse. I also find it easier to just freshly charge the battery before an outing, rather than carry a spare set of batteries "in case" the partially used ones run out.

Here are some highly regarded 8,000 mah rechargeable D batteries by Tenergy (avoid the Energizer brand ones, as those are just repackaged ~2000 mah AA batteries). I've been using Tenergy lithiums for 15 years now without problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy...=rechargeable+D+nimh

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I just threw away a wireless mouse because the Duracell AAA's leaked all over the inside of it. I've had Duracell D cells leak too, in flashlights.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too have experienced leaking Duracells.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Procell.

They're made by Duracell, but are not garden variety regular retail stuff.

It's the only one we use in certain types of medical equipment.

Procell is a bit difficult to find at local retail, we bought them wholesale, but you can get them from Amazon.

I've used literally 100,000 plus of these in medical pumps and can highly recommend them.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I also have had problems with leaking Duracells. Won't even use them these days unless I have to.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
We traditionally used Energizers but some years ago Costco and BJ's stopped selling them so we gravitated to Duracell. They were fine until about 3-4 years ago and then we started getting leakers. After the crappy Duracells ruined several remotes and a Fenix flashlight I banned their use in our household. The ones that leaked were all within the date codes so there was no reason for leakage other than shoddy manufacturing. When a company like Duracell bills itself as "premium" there's no excuse for leaking, it's not like the technology is new. I've got remotes that came with cheapie Chinese alkaline batteries that went dead but never leaked.

We switched back to Energizers last year and have had no problems so far. Duracell needs to cut back on their advertising budget and invest in more quality control.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
When I bought my Siege lanterns, I bought the Rayovac Ultrapro. They've been in the lanterns for several years, still strong. Your thread on lanterns reminded me to check them. I'll replace with the same.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My Duracell leak. Hate the brand. Many little-used gizmos damaged. I wonder if slow discharge causes leakage.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post