SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How is everyone doing mentally/emotionally with the COVID situation?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is everyone doing mentally/emotionally with the COVID situation? Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We’ve had crappy weather all week that’s made things tougher. Our 5 YO granddaughter has been with us all week. We made an attempt to get her back home, but the driving conditions made that a fool’s errand, so we turned around and came back. She’s been a trooper, better than my wife and I.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just learned they pushed my start date for my new job in North Dakota to April 26, and I also learned that my gym is closing.

I am in the process of learning where the best fishing spots are in and around Durham.

I had planned time to take time off and see a few concerts/ stand up comedians, etc.. before leaving for ND but that has now changed.

The killer is that the gyms/boot camps are closed. That was a big mental stress for relief me.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
We are down to 27 rolls of toliet paper.

I work for the Sheriff's office and it is crazy quiet (YOU HERE THAT COP GODS "ITS REAL QUIET!!!")

I have shifted my own ideals to avoid hospitals.

I hike a lot and spend more time doing outdoor activities away from other humans. More than normal as this was my normal mistake.

I make it a point to wash my hands and not touch my face.

I am good, this is not a worry to the point where it consumes me, just due caution.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Concerned and distracted by it all. I'm more worried about the economics, and people's behavior than I am about the disease itself.

I've caught myself losing my train of thought often, and almost ran a red light yesterday. I saw 2 other people run red lights 1 block apart.

Be careful. Now would be an especially bad time to have to be hospitalized.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Got 4 beautiful ribeyes on the counter waiting for the Webber grill to get to temp.
Wife making a huge salad. Both sons home and staying here.
Five months of food & booze stocked away.
Work canceled, college graduation canceled, oh well out of our control.

Gonna shoot some clays tomorrow with the boys and some neighbors at the WMA close by.
Gonna try the new BPS 28ga the wife got me for my birthday.

Other than that, enjoying the snow days!

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I've got to turn of the news. Constant press conferences and nothing really to report.

We're completing week one of the youngest being home from HS. If rumors are true, the rest of the school year is toast. So 10 weeks of online, home schooling and 10 weeks of summer vacation is going to get a little claustrophobic. Our daughter turns 20 today and is home chilling with us - her only option. We'll have some nice rib eye for dinner.

I'll keep busy this weekend installing the four post car lift that I bought last week, not expecting the 20% salary cut I enjoyed yesterday.

Stressed? A bit, but we're well prepared for this. My wife is a home body and I can get out to run and bike (Ironman was cancelled, so no 80-mile training ride tomorrow).

We'll manage and I'll continue to avoid checking my Charles Schwab account.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
226 deaths with the first one on 2/28. 18,000 cases. Fatality rate is like 1.5% most of which are older with underlying conditions. If you just look at those numbers without the emotion of the news reporting behind it you should be asking yourself some questions.

Panic fatigue for a lot of people is going to set in sooner than later. Human nature being what it is if there aren't thousands dying from this soon it's not going to hold their attention. They are going to want to get back to work and go out and get a burger and a beer and businesses are going to open to serve them at risk of losing their license. What are they going to have to lose? Stay closed and lose everything anyhow.

This level of panic and fear is going to be harder to maintain with these kinds of numbers.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I spent more than 30 years in law enforcement and over a decade since my retirement as an investigative and expert resource for indigents charged in serious criminal cases. During all that time, I only superficially concerned myself with what my arrestees and (now) clients faced upon conviction. In either of my roles, I did all I could to ensure the innocent didn't suffer incarceration due to wrongful convictions, but by necessity I had to compartmentalize my personal feelings for the accused. If I didn't, how could I effectively do my job?

Now, family, friends, neighbors, and I are all suffering an injustice done to us by a thing (virus) we have no control over and I feel imprisoned even in the relative comfort of our home. My wife has several risk factors that are of serious concern, so I've got to do everything possible to avoid passing something on.

Besides dwelling on the negative, I'm calling, texting, and posting to family, friends, and former co-workers, to check on their status as well as maintain my own sanity. It really does help! I can go outside, walk the dogs, hike, and today played golf croquet with my wife and her eldest son that lives nearby.

I've got a little bit of work to do regarding a court case I was involved in, that was concluded a week ago, and when that's over I'll be starting a couple new projects. I committed to assist my local police department in putting together a program where patrol officers and supervisory personnel will be trained on how to conduct proper interviews and interrogations, both to obtain more credible admissions of guilt and to reliably exonerate the innocent so that investigations can be redirected in a more timely fashion. When my contribution is completed, the program obviously won't be starting this spring year, but maybe sometime in the future we can get things going.

If our self-imposed quarantine continues for as long as it looks like it will, I'm actually going to write that book that associates have been bugging me to do for years. At least I'll be free of distractions!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
This.

I can deal with the epidemic. I'm pissed as hell about being forced to commit economic suicide just so the politicians can look like they're doing something about a situation over which they have no control.

quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I’m fine. Just pissed that my life can be so heavily influenced by the idiocy of others. But if I can benefit from the equity disruption in the short term, that’ll be a silver lining. A qualitative silver lining will hopefully be a massive global divestment from prc.

Yes. Especially the economic suicide part.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cleaned a few guns. Repaired an old Zenith radio. Ordered some Ham radio parts.

And shake my head over the mass Media stirred frenzy about this Virus.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty lucky we can both work from home. It's a little cumbersome for me but not too bad. We are walking so many laps through our subdivision that the dog no longer rushes to the door as soon as we are near it. Other than that the dog thinks she hit the lottery. Other than the economics of it I can't believe all the people complaining about being home so much. I love that part of it.

I feel sorry for the people who are taking a heavy hit to the pocketbook. It sure makes the long said advice of banking 6 months expenses hit home for a lot of people.

Everywhere I have gone seems normal other than light on people and paper products.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'm sick of the 24/7 media coverage. And I'm having trouble sleeping...worried about no toilet paper. Razz

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I'm doing good. Pretty sure I already had it... all the symptoms, 4 days of 103+ fever with extreme fatigue, and a non-productive cough for over a month.

Little pissed I can't go out to eat, only take out, and needing to hit 3 different grocery stores in order to get TP, bread or eggs.

But OMG a coworker is about to have a nervous breakdown... won't come within 10 feet of anyone else at work, going in at 0400 to avoid others, and blew up after someone left a bottle of disinfectant in their personal area, because someone had entered their space and now they had to disinfect everything again.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I had to run out of the house today. Buy propane, get some gas in the car. Stop by the bank, drive up only open. When I got home, I felt dirty. I washed my drivers license and credit cards, since other people had touched them. I got to thinking, is my cash dirty too? No hand shakes, distancing from all other folks. It just feels weird. Stay safe and healthy my SIGforum friends. I am so looking forward to some semblance of normalcy.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Feels like I'm the only one going to work while everybody else is on vacation. At least the traffic doesn't suck.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
Got 4 beautiful ribeyes on the counter waiting for the Webber grill to get to temp.
Wife making a huge salad. Both sons home and staying here.
Five months of food & booze stocked away.
Work canceled, college graduation canceled, oh well out of our control.

Gonna shoot some clays tomorrow with the boys and some neighbors at the WMA close by.
Gonna try the new BPS 28ga the wife got me for my birthday.

Other than that, enjoying the snow days!

If this is your first 28 gauge, you're gonna love it. Since my first, I've acquired 4 more. It's all I hunt dove and pheasants with, and absolutely love it. Give us a report and let us know how much you enjoy it. I hope it fits you well, if not, don't blame the gauge, blame the fit. I use Beretta's, 686 and 687, and a Benelli Ethos, semi-auto. They fit my frame so well. Cheers!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I get to work from home and that’s hard to get used to. This pandemic has reduced my workload so I’m happy about that. I’ve been trying to calm my friends down and get them to stop freaking out. Had one tell me the govt is declaring martial law Monday. I took some time explaining why that won’t happen.

Personally I’m throwing a brisket on the grill tomorrow and I’ll be enjoying that for dinner. I’m also really looking forward to when the stock market recovers and I make a wad of cash from what I’ve been buying.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve been trying to calm my friends down and get them to stop freaking out. Had one tell me the govt is declaring martial law Monday. I took some time explaining why that won’t happen.

Good for you. There needs to be more logical thinking in the face of anxiety.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doing just fine. 1000x more concerned over idiot people than the virus. Kind of a shit show around here.

I do feel good about being able to help out others who were less than prepared for the panic. My neighbor went out and got an AR15, and the PMag that came with it was defective (split right down the seam). I gave him a new one and even loaded it up for him. I have plenty to share with a good neighbor.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work from home 3 days a week already so not much as changed with me in that regard. My wife is now going in part-time. We have two kids under 5 and with school out, are here. Thankfully both grandparents are close so they have been a tremendous help.
Gym is closed, which is a bummer. My wife was just starting to get in the groove. Freezer is pretty full and so is the booze cabinet, so we'll get through.
I'm in the financial services industry so the past month has been rough on the ol' anxiety to be honest.

You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.

Posts: 16 | Location: NW FL  | Registered: February 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post