SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How is everyone doing mentally/emotionally with the COVID situation?
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is everyone doing mentally/emotionally with the COVID situation? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Jesse, I’m sorry you didn’t get that Amazon job. I was really hoping that you would get it. Have you tried applying for the Google data center in Leesburg? I believe they have one there.

Google is on the list. Yes they and everyone are in my area. 1/2 of the data in the country passes by or is housed in my area. I'm going to try them all. Even if I have to start as an assistant/jr/intern level position, I'm willing to get the shit work for shit pay if need be to wedge my foot in the door in the industry. I've wanted to since watching mega data center after mega data center go up all around me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Next time I go out, I'm wearing a Darth Vader mask.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Google is on the list. Yes they and everyone are in my area. 1/2 of the data in the country passes by or is housed in my area. I'm going to try them all. Even if I have to start as an assistant/jr/intern level position, I'm willing to get the shit work for shit pay if need be to wedge my foot in the door in the industry. I've wanted to since watching mega data center after mega data center go up all around me.

That’s good to hear. I knew the DC area had a lot of data centers. Sounds like you’ll be busy for a while sending out resumes.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

I was actually think Jason

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of ordering a Guy Fawkes mask from Amazon to really thumb my nose at The Man. I'll pay the minimum on that card, too, so that everyone profits from my rebellion and, ahem, bravery. Yeah.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IT Admin at work...

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

I prefer:

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Hmm, what's today? April 97th??

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3923 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]quote:
Jesse, I’m sorry you didn’t get that Amazon job. I was really hoping that you would get it. Have you tried applying for the Google data center in Leesburg? I believe they have one there.
^^^^^^^^^^^
Sad to hear. You mentioned something about behavioral questions with the Amazon interview. What did they ask you? I am curious and perhaps I can help.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Getting grumpy.
The more this shit goes on the more contempt I feel towards those who are helping drive the false narrative of this yuge nothingburger.
I find myself being a little obnoxious lately when discussing what we SHOULD be doing instead of complying.
I went to the rally/protest in Denver last weekend and it felt good to see so many out and as angry as I am but it was only two hours of honking and sign waving. That shit sure wouldn't have driven the fucking redcoats out of the colonies 244 years ago.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
I prefer:
Today I wore a two filter respirator, impact over-glasses safety goggles, and a yellow hardhat. Waiting on the safety vest with "No Tailgating" lettering across the shoulders. I felt secure walking out for the mail.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
[quote]quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^
Sad to hear. You mentioned something about behavioral questions with the Amazon interview. What did they ask you? I am curious and perhaps I can help.

Just questions about how I handled issues with someone on my team or a coworker for the most part. Why I left one job. Other questions that didn't really apply to my current work situation that I had no real answer since I didn't have experience with so I couldn't offer a good answer.

I had to sign a NDA for the interview, so I am not supposed to disclose the questions.

Wife is in charge of hiring people for her job, she said she'd coach me up on it. When I've had to interview people I have no problem asking the questions. I have never really had to do any real interviews in my life usually it's a phone call and short meeting then I got the job. Besides Amazon, I have only had one other interview I can think of where I didn't get the job.

Thank you for the offer though, much appreciated.

It was kind of annoying though as I spent days reading everything I could about Amazon down to annual letters from Bezos to shareholders so I could really get a feeling for what the company looks for and the culture there and tailor my answers to them. Part of it was just nerves. Usually I am interviewing the company I want to work for not them interviewing me. The analogy I used with my wife is - I am usually the hot chick and the new job is a dorky guy trying to get the girl, this time I was the dorky dude and Amazon was the hot chick.

If nothing else it prepares me more for my next interview I have to do.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ust questions about how I handled issues with someone on my team or a coworker for the most part. Why I left one job. Other questions that didn't really apply to my current work situation that I had no real answer since I didn't have experience with so I couldn't offer a good answer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Answering those questions is my area of expertise. Swearing you to confidentiality is frankly a little much. It tells me that the process is automated. I am not surprised it is Amazon. I interview people for a living and seldom use some canned format. I would be glad to help.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’m doing pretty good but it’s been over a month since I’ve had any money coming in, well except the sweet 64 bucks the feds gave me. I’ve still got money in my savings that will last me a few months but I hate seeing it disappear.

I’ve applied for a few jobs but nothing yet. I’m going to keep trying.

The best thing to come out of this so far is the time I’ve been able to spend with my kids. Also a large number of manufacturers in my industry basically opened the training catalogs and have been hosting free webinar training events. I’ve got to learn a lot about multiple products related to my job that will be very valuable in the future. I’ve easily taken 10k in training for free.

I’d feel a lot better with some money coming in but I’m not all that hopeful on that front.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I understand why most people are far more concerned about the economic impacts of the pandemic and all the governmental actions associated with trying to limit its spread, but I’m wondering how many here are more concerned about the disease itself. It seems that the membership includes a pretty high percentage of geezers like me and my wife, and the disease is what I think about, especially as we regularly learn of new serious effects being discovered.

It’s obvious that the shutdowns and other restrictions cannot continue forever and are even being loosened now, but what benefits the “herd” won’t necessarily do a significant percentage of individuals much good. No one who understands the ostensible reasons for the measures implemented thinks that they are intended to keep us all or even anyone in particular from catching COVID-19; all they are hoped to do is limit the number of people catching it at once.

My concern, then, is what happens when I and my wife and others in our age and health categories do catch it. I haven’t seen much discussion by others here of the same question, and I’m curious why. Is it because older people tend to be more stoic about health and the future: “None of us is making it out of here alive anyway, so why worry?” Do our concerns pale in comparison to someone who has lost his job and has no other source of income? Do they already have such life-limiting health issues that brain damage or (further) impairment of their lung function is just another thing to add to the list?

Comments?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My concern, then, is what happens when I and my wife and others in our age and health categories do catch it. I haven’t seen much discussion by others here of the same question, and I’m curious why. Is it because older people tend to be more stoic about health and the future: “None of us is making it out of here alive anyway, so why worry?” Do our concerns pale in comparison to someone who has lost his job and has no other source of income? Do they already have such life-limiting health issues that brain damage or (further) impairment of their lung function is just another thing to add to the list?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Interesting question. I think the reactions of older people is really no different than those that are younger. Some seniors are afraid to leave the house and have been inside for weeks. Others seem unaffected and go about their lives with little change in routine. If you are near 80 you remember the polio epidemic,lived through the Korean War and the fall of the Berlin Wall. It provides perspective. Your parents went through the Great Depression. This is a tiny bump in the road.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
You make some good points, but my specific question, in line with the topic of this thread, is for people who may be concerned about the effects of the disease itself on them personally.

We keep seeing posts in the main thread about COVID-19 that demonstrate many people believe it shouldn’t be the matter of concern that it turned into because of governmental and other responses to it. That is, most people will suffer no significant effects when they catch it (as far as we know now). And on the other hand, there is the feeling that with only tiny exceptions the people who do suffer such effects, including dying, were either so advanced in age or had other medical problems that 1., we can’t be sure how much of what has happened to them was due to this virus, or 2., they were on their way out anyway. All of that may be too bad, so sad, but it’s not really something the vast majority of the population needs to fret over.

My question, however, isn’t to those people or about those beliefs. It is directed at those who might have concerns, or at least focused thoughts, from a personal individual standpoint about when—not if—they contract the disease. As I said, I haven’t seen much discussion here about that, and therefore I’m curious: Am I the only one who wouldn’t like to lose 30% of my lung function or suffer any of the other serious effects that have been blamed on the disease? Or is all that considered to be so unlikely or because there’s nothing we can do to prevent it that there’s no sense even thinking about it?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
sigfreund,

I share you concerns as someone who has asthma and already has reduced lung capacity. I don't want to lose more of my lung function or hit the Coronavirus lottery and have some other life long ailment, or hit the Coronavirus powerball and die. At 40 years of age and good health minus the asthma and some high cholesterol, it's not likely, but it's possible. My wife has asthma and Hepatitis B, so I don't know if me getting it and bringing it home could hurt her as well, especially given the small amount of evidence of it damaging the liver when she already has a compromised liver and shortened life expectancy.

I do think it's silly that people can say all these people with manageable health problems were seconds away from dying and that the illness didn't cause them to die early. Many people with heart conditions, weight problems, diabetes, etc. live with their conditions for decades.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
No one who understands the ostensible reasons for the measures implemented thinks that they are intended to keep us all or even anyone in particular from catching COVID-19; all they are hoped to do is limit the number of people catching it at once.

I haven't posted about it here, but this has been my understanding all along, and is honestly the biggest reason that I question the usefulness of this whole quarantine thing. We're likely all going to get it eventually anyway, and there's nothing we can do about it, no vaccine, and no way to treat it, so what's the point of letting fear of it cripple us socially and economically?

There may be a certain very high-risk segment of the population that is going to need to isolate themselves long term in hopes of a vaccine or some other treatment being developed. But most of those folks are likely already retired, or if not, at least need the rest of us to keep working so there are tax dollars coming in to pay for the government assistance that will allow them to stay at home.

Personally, I'm 35, have no known underlying health issues, and statistically will likely be ok if I get this. I have a wife and 4 little kids at home that I really don't want to bring this home to, but statistically speaking, they will likely be ok as well. Does that mean I'm not scared that I or one of my family members might be in that .06-4%? Hell no it doesn't.

I'm a cop...I'm in and out of people's houses all the time, most of them are not the type to practice good hygiene or social distancing, either...and I have very little confidence that the PPE we have will protect us from this thing. It scares the hell out of me, but I can't just stop going to work or responding to calls. Besides the need to provide financially for my family, I have a community that depends on me to keep showing up, because criminals will be criminals, pandemic or not. If I let being scared stop me from doing what needs doing, I wouldn't be working this job in the first place.

I realize that the quarantine has helped slow the spread in some densely populated areas like NYC so that hospitals can manage the outbreak. But here in the sticks, I don't see the volume of cases becoming overwhelming, even without the draconian lockdown steps. IMO keeping kids out of school and basic social distancing and cleaning measures would probably be effective here to keep things manageable. Yet we are playing by rules designed for large urban areas.

It gets very tiresome to see the big cities like NYC dictating policies that get applied to the entire country. What's necessary for them is not necessary or even applicable to many rural areas. They have plenty of problems of their own creation that we do not have. And they never miss a chance to virtue signal or talk down to us about the way we do things, yet any time there's a crisis they're the ones begging for federal resources and funding, while we knuckle down and get through it on our own.

Posts: 8565 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’m concerned about my health, and especially the health of others. My kids live with their grandparents when they aren’t with me so I worry a lot about passing it to them. I think it’s a matter of risking the unknown over the known.

I don’t know if covid will kill me. I don’t even know if I’ll get it. But I know for sure what will happen if I run out of money. Considering my ex still doesn’t work I’m responsible for feeding not only myself, but my kids. They have health insurance through me, they have a place to live because of me.

We can either risk getting a disease that we may not get, that even if we do may not hurt us at all...or we lose our homes and health insurance and can’t buy groceries.

Trust me I don’t want the disease. But I need money eventually.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post