SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How is everyone doing mentally/emotionally with the COVID situation?
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is everyone doing mentally/emotionally with the COVID situation? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I'm done with all the dramatic draconian bullshit. There's not much covid 19 in my region, and most things are shutdown. Notwithstanding the quiet suffering of unemployment, it's damn depressing to drive down the street and see just about everything shuttered up. And for what ? Nothing really, this is not NYC, but Governors are pretending their states are the same. Democratic bullshit. They NEVER let a crisis go to waste. This is the perfect storm of that tired draconian political strategy for the ignorant sheeples. The economic (personal and widespread) suffering is much too silent, but I'm seing in the news that people are catching up to the ignorance and tyranny of democratically run states and cities. If it goes on any longer, people are just going to start saying FU.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ZSMICHAEL, it wasn't a Mental Health Nurse that got punched, it was regular ER Nurse

^^^
My fault for not being clearer. I was just making a point about mental health. I have seen the worst in psychiatric treatment. Think One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest with Jack Nicholson.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
ZSMICHAEL, it wasn't a Mental Health Nurse that got punched, it was regular ER Nurse

^^^
My fault for not being clearer. I was just making a point about mental health. I have seen the worst in psychiatric treatment. Think One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest with Jack Nicholson.

At this place, Jack would have been out in about an hour. Really, they shoo anyone out the door who creates any type of disturbance. Once we had to deal with a guy who was brought in by another jurisdiction for threatening to behead his mom and sister. The "Psych" doctor released him after an hour because he was creating a disturbance. We had to deal with him after he tried breaking into a closed St. Louis Bread Company and threatening to kill infidels (he was channeling his inner terrorist). Took him to another hospital where he was admitted for a full 96 hour eval and treatment.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Spent a week in Indiana visiting my crews. Hotels were open but dead, like 5 cars at hotels that normally are at 80% capacity.

Traffic while light was still on the road, it was very light in N Indiana in the small towns.

My guys were doing well...except for the crappy weather. I dropped off masks but since most have beards...it was largely a waste....maybe they will give them to family.

At the home front things are moving towards openning up and the weather is uncharacteristically cool...makes for great evenings in the back yard.

I know many people here are truly suffering due to this stupidity and my heart goes out to them.

I am hopeful May will be a better month in most states than April was!

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I'm not sure if I should cry or laugh about how predictions I made two weeks ago are coming true.
Turns out that many Americans are willfully letting the Constitution to be shredded so they can feel better about the not-the-flu flu.

Actually this is my biggest concern too.
I fear this could "teach" some legislators mostly on the left how to use it against us in the future.
Like when LA went in and blatantly confiscated guns during Katrina.
Luckily laws were past to make THAT illegal (Texas and other areas).
They will TRY in the future and this "thing" is a model for their control. Frown

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still working, combination of onsite and remote/home. I am considered essential as I provide IT support for the college PD.

We are visiting our son and his bride this weekend.

One of our BIL’s only has days remaining as he has been battling cancer for over a year. They live 1.5 miles from us. All their children and granddaughter have been with them for about a month so they have 9 people in the house and are isolating from everyone.

We do take food/groceries and other items to them often and leave on the front porch.

Tough times for them.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I fear this could "teach" some legislators mostly on the left how to use it against us in the future.

You make a valid point, but I believe there is another possibility.

The economic and other impacts of the efforts to spread out and delay the effects of the pandemic are more likely to be seared into the public consciousness than memories of the disease itself. I and others of my generation with whom I’ve discussed it have vivid memories of the gasoline shortages during the 1973 crisis, as just one example, but few remember what led to it.

If we don’t have a surge in infections of this disease that results in deaths or other obvious impairments affecting a lot of people that a large percentage of the population knows personally, what we’ll remember and strongly object to in the future will be similar lockdowns and restrictions on daily activities. “You did that to us last time, and why? We almost destroyed the economy because you panicked over nothing! Never again!!!” will be shouted from the rooftops.

The example about gun confiscations after Katrina is a good one to illustrate what I’m referring to. Those laws in a few jurisdictions to specifically prohibit its from happening would have never been passed otherwise.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I didn't know I was getting anxious and antsy until I found myself shopping on line,
I almost never shop on line .
I really don't need a dam thing .

<<snip>>

I can fully relate! I much prefer to buy locally, but I'm going to go broke with all the stuff I've bought online since getting stuck indoors!

I have bought a crap-load of model rocket kits to build, plus a bunch of other stuff. I'll be building rockets until Jesus returns! Razz

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the plumbing scene is slow, my wife has enlisting me into helping her refurbish one of our houses down on the lake Mad I hate doing work on something with no pay. I do take off early and work on the rifles I'm building Big Grin

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
The Boys (Age 17) have not exactly been “motivated” to get school started today, so I had my own school.

The picture is “arts and crafts”, I had them turn a Dixie cup inside out without ripping or tearing. It’s harder than you might think!

For English They wrote a haiku.

M:
Haikus are stupid
I don’t enjoy this at all
Stop this foolishness

J:
Don’t post this online
My dad is out of his mind
Haikus are stupid

I told them that tomorrow for Gym, we are going to go outside and pick up sticks!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got home, made it once around the planet and a lot of running back and forth. I was in Europe a lot, south Pacific, north Pacific, Asia, Middle East, etc. It's like this everywhere. I just got back from Korea. Most places, unlike here, have multiple police checkpoints and roadblocks within towns, going from town to town, between countries.

In one town in europe, I recorded tens of thousands of people banging on posts and pans, running sirens, honking horns, beating drums, from their balconies, every night at 8. Most people wore masks. Lines outside shops and stores.

A few nights ago I heard a humanitarian flight denied entry into Switzerland, as we flew over. We flew over Venice anddown the east Itallian coast, and I thought quite a bit about the damage done and going on there. Another crew was headed for Milan. Sucks to be them, I thought. I saw in a hotel in Europe and didn't eat for three days; no food available, no stores available, no going out, and the hotel services were shut down.

I sat in a hotel in Kuala Lampur after finally getting to the hotel...because there were no taxies or shuttles when we arrived. We had to get past police checkpoints, and the hotel, quite a large one, was dark. We had to do health screening everywhere, including to get in the door of the hotel, and when I went up to the room, the corridors were dark. We were the only ones there. A moque next door, a massive one, shuttered.

Most of the world is in the same boat.

I've flown as a commercial passenger recently, and was one of a handfull of passengers on the flight. In fact, in the airport, and some were the largest, busiest airports in the world. Dead quiet. In several cases when I was operating, we were the only aircraft moving, arriving, departing. I did a 13 hour flight a few days ago and heard two other aircraft the entire time, though we flew halfway around the world.

Hopscotching all over the US, same way. Hotels where there's no food, no place to get food save for ordering out, lockdowns. We've had crewmembers quarantined on arrival, some refused entry, some with the virus. My wife wasn't excited about me finally getting home this trip, after a month gone, because she doesn't want me bringing it back to her, if I happened to pick it up. I can't get screened, not with any certainty or testing that might give any definitive, so no way to know, and most of the testing out there is so suspect as to destroy credibility.

I did find two boxes from Shield Arms waiting, however, so at least the Glocks got some love.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I was a dick to a Euro friend earlier (who lives in the states and has the occasional lefty opinion).

He deserved a 6 or 7, on the Ours Go To 11 intensity scale, but he got a 9.5 or so.

Blunt, terse, and unfiltered. I will apologize. It will be fine. But the virus clearly has people on edge.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 46and2,

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
We're doing good. Since interest rates are at historic lows, we're refinancing our home. We just bought it 3 years ago at 3.75% with a VA loan. We're now refinancing at 2.85%.

So since we're refinancing, the timing works out that we'll skip 2 months of mortgage payments and our monthly payments go down too.

By not having a mortgage payment for 2 months, we'll have an extra $4,600 in our bank account which will offset the pay cuts my wife and I have had since there's no overtime.

We planted some gardens in troughs in the backyard with all the spare time my wife has since she's only working 16 hours a week (and still getting paid for 40 a week).

On a not-happy note, I can't talk to certain people about me having survived the Wu-Flu. My son told one of the neighbor kids that I survived the Wu-Flu and the kid told his parents. The mom freaked out since I was talking to the husband the day before in the street (they live right across the street from us). He's been identified as high risk because of diabetes.

So the wife called us and asked about my health. I probably spent 20 minutes rationalizing with them that I was well over the Wu-Flu and no longer contagious. In fact, they called me after I took my son and dog out for a 2.5 mile run. I haven't gone for a run in over a year and a half! I wasn't short of breath and not coughing.

I had to tell my son not to tell anyone else that I had the Wu-Flu because they are too afraid.

Back to the happy note, we went fishing on Saturday and caught eleven trout between 10 to 14 inches. Spent Saturday night gutting fish.

How many salamanders can you count?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I’m starting to get a little worried myself. Between losing my job in mid-February and this things aren’t real bright right now. Financially everything is fine as we have many many months that are covered, but just my general attitude/emotions are taking a hit and putting me in a funk I’ve never experienced before.

When I got let go I figured I’d be out of work a month or two tops. Actually really looked forward to a chance to get some personal projects done. Then the bottom dropped out.

I am glad that I’m able to be home to help with the kids and school. However without so much as a bite on the 40-50 applications I’ve submitted so far I’m getting impatient and disheartened. Every day feels like a repeat without a lot to look forward to.

I need to get back to exercising regularly as I know that’ll help, as would eating better. Just ready for a break from the monotony. Feel like I’m letting my family down.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Connoisseur of
Fine Firearms
Picture of lbaker45
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1926 | Location: Midwest | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I just got home, made it once around the planet and a lot of running back and forth. I was in Europe a lot, south Pacific, north Pacific, Asia, Middle East, etc. It's like this everywhere. I just got back from Korea. Most places, unlike here, have multiple police checkpoints and roadblocks within towns, going from town to town, between countries.

In one town in europe, I recorded tens of thousands of people banging on posts and pans, running sirens, honking horns, beating drums, from their balconies, every night at 8. Most people wore masks. Lines outside shops and stores.

A few nights ago I heard a humanitarian flight denied entry into Switzerland, as we flew over. We flew over Venice anddown the east Itallian coast, and I thought quite a bit about the damage done and going on there. Another crew was headed for Milan. Sucks to be them, I thought. I saw in a hotel in Europe and didn't eat for three days; no food available, no stores available, no going out, and the hotel services were shut down.

I sat in a hotel in Kuala Lampur after finally getting to the hotel...because there were no taxies or shuttles when we arrived. We had to get past police checkpoints, and the hotel, quite a large one, was dark. We had to do health screening everywhere, including to get in the door of the hotel, and when I went up to the room, the corridors were dark. We were the only ones there. A moque next door, a massive one, shuttered.

Most of the world is in the same boat.

I've flown as a commercial passenger recently, and was one of a handfull of passengers on the flight. In fact, in the airport, and some were the largest, busiest airports in the world. Dead quiet. In several cases when I was operating, we were the only aircraft moving, arriving, departing. I did a 13 hour flight a few days ago and heard two other aircraft the entire time, though we flew halfway around the world.

Hopscotching all over the US, same way. Hotels where there's no food, no place to get food save for ordering out, lockdowns. We've had crewmembers quarantined on arrival, some refused entry, some with the virus. My wife wasn't excited about me finally getting home this trip, after a month gone, because she doesn't want me bringing it back to her, if I happened to pick it up. I can't get screened, not with any certainty or testing that might give any definitive, so no way to know, and most of the testing out there is so suspect as to destroy credibility.

I did find two boxes from Shield Arms waiting, however, so at least the Glocks got some love.

Sounds like you could probably write a book about this. (without the Glocks) Big Grin

Not having a lot of international travel experience - I am not sure what my stress level would have been in the places you have recently visited.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got notice that I turn around and head back to Korea. I guess two days rest is enough. Someone really wants those corona test kits...

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been in a lazy funk the last couple of weeks. By March 15th, I lost 80% of my work through the end of June. I have some minor monthly yacht maintenance work on yachts I manage, that nobody has stepped foot on besides myself for months (so no worry of getting the virus from the yachts), yet have to push myself to go do it, but it's around 1 day of work per week so nothing to write home about. I haven't been going anywhere and have pretty much stayed with my GF in the house, except for a careful grocery run every 2+ weeks.

Here's the Conundrum, as many of you know I'm a yacht Captain. I enjoy doing long deliveries and make very good $$$ doing them. IE Taking a yacht from one place to another and flying home. I booked one from Ft. Myers, FL to NYC several months ago, 14 day trip +/- and I get paid by the day, tentatively leaving May 10th. Well the owner WANTS to leave May 10th, the owner and his Captain (both I've never met) who will be working underneath me will both be coming down to here from up North to get on the yacht and will be in VERY close proximity to me for 14 days. He did want to leave on the May 1st, but I delayed him as I have 2 yachts to run to/ load on a freighter......whenever that gets here...... Plus we'll be stopping at a different marina/city/State every night all of the way across the state and up the coast. Then there's the matter of getting from NYC back to Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I REALLY don't want to fly due to the virus, even though flights are direct and 3 hours. That leaves a 2 day drive home and a hotel...….(18 hours + of driving). The conundrum is I am bored out of my mind, I love doing these trips, BUT REALLY DON'T want to do this trip in a few weeks given the virus situation.

I know things may change with the virus, but nobody has seen the virus leveling out, each day is still more and more cases, even with the quarantining. The virus is going to make an already very difficult trip (planning each day) even worse as we try to find dinners in various cities all of the way up the coast.

On top of it all, my GF is driving me bonkers each day. What to do, what to do......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am ok, considering that today is the second Wednesday that we've had this week . Yesterday's Wednesday ended very well, if we are going to have another one I won't put the garbage out tonight. ( Garbage gets picked up on Thursday s)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

What to do, what to do......

Well for starters, get over the "don't want to fly" nonsense. Get on a plane. You'll be fine. This fear of flying due to the virus is irrational. You'll have a better chance of arriving home safe and healthy than if you drive in any case.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post