SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How is everyone doing mentally/emotionally with the COVID situation?
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is everyone doing mentally/emotionally with the COVID situation? Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I cycle for fitness, and for mental peace. I am happy to report I have ridden my bike 10 days in a row. Average distance of about 22-23 miles per day.

And I started a bunch of projects around the house. Laying a 10'x10' paver section in the back yard, installing 4"x4" posts with a shade sail and sitting area. Moved my shed. Putting down some sod. Doing some privacy fence repair.

Keeping busy has really helped my sanity.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I look at this from another side watching the human animal. During WWII rubber tires were the big thing to try and find, now it’s TP. Seen a commercial today about a company how their doing their best to supply TP, showing a Semi on the road with a load. I’m just waiting to hear about Semi being hi-jacked, and some guy on the street saying to you, “PSST, hey bud, need some TP,it’s top quality”.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Out here on the ranch, we notice how quiet it is with reduction in traffic on the highway a mile from us. It is peaceful here. I have cancelled all firearms classes until May and perhaps beyond.

We are in the high risk population. My daughter is a physician, she reminds us daily to stay home and not have visitors. We have been gently scolded for making unnecessary trips, we won't do it again. We stay in touch with 4 kids and 9 grandkids and other family through Facebook and Facetime.

We are noticing that a lot of the trips we used to make to town, going out to lunch or to visit, or to get "a couple items" are entirely unnecessary and we have come to realize that we don't miss that. We have busied ourselves with various projects around the ranch that were not getting done due to other distractions that are not there now. The biggest challenge is having materials to keep going but Amazon is helping with that.

My wife had planned a cruise and tour of Italy with her sisters in June, but cancelled that back in February. I think she now realizes that was a "road to Abilene" trip and she does not regret missing it.

Based upon our own experience, I have to believe many Americans will recognize that a lot of time and money we spend on the treadmill is just unnecessary and it will change the way we look at these things, and our behavior, in the foreseeable future.

I am hoping for the best for all my SigForum friends. Be safe, maintain your interval, and stay home if you can.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Palm Sunday shopping spree. Competing against SIX customers (there may have been eight employees in the store as well). 10am on a Sunday morning. Same the last two Sundays. Excellent chickens come out of their ovens at 9:30am, I ask the deli guy to "pick one out; they're all the same". Ground bagged coffee is twice the price as discount stuff but is outstanding. Kerrygold 2-for/$6 .... Nice people, nice store.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
On Isolation status currently after my department ordered test came back positive.
My wife is using the Curb delivery pickup online grocery order for the first time.
Glad for that . I’ve had offers from friends & officers to deliver groceries & adult beverages (LoL) but I feel bad asking until / unless it’s truly needed.
Getting pretty boring laying in bed having a shop full of projects but not having the energy to get out there.
11 more days till I can go back to work.
But thankfully we had been “logical preppers” in that we had lay on supplies for three months of food & daily supplies in case of a natural disaster.
I think finding a flour shortage on our part & in the stores is the only thing we’ve found.
But there was a good supply found at a local Amish bulk store.

Listening to all the motorcycles going by has me wishing this whole thing to be over .
Nice to see all the families out walking in our small town though.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have been going to the grocery on Sundays. Made the run this morning and came away with $80 worth of stuff for the week. Probably more than a weeks worth. They have everything in stock except clorox wipes and still not toilet paper.

I buy everything in bulk so I have a good supply of each.

I did a crossfit type workout yesterday afternoon. My back and hips are currently killing me. Each day, the reading on the scale is a little less. Each day I can run a little farther or a little faster.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
I look at this from another side watching the human animal. During WWII rubber tires were the big thing to try and find, now it’s TP. Seen a commercial today about a company how their doing their best to supply TP, showing a Semi on the road with a load. I’m just waiting to hear about Semi being hi-jacked, and some guy on the street saying to you, “PSST, hey bud, need some TP,it’s top quality”.
Well, here in Dallas we just had a truck full of TP burn up on the Interstate.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Just finished going to my church via the Internet. Only clergy and a few musicians there. A real soloist but the rest of the music was from recordings of last year's Palm Sunday. Not bad, but not like being there (and singing).

Make a run about every 10 days or so to get food for me and the cats, and daily to the nearby Stop-n-Rob for my Diet Cokes and snacks. Several local places have drive-thru meal service and I use those. Am being careful because I'm 82 and Diabetic II.

Filling time with chatting on fora, doing genealogy, and posting pictures to a photo host. Life goes on.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Went to the church yesterday to record some music for today's online service.

Went out yesterday and hit the farm supply for dog food, and a couple grocery stores to get some items we were low on or out of.

Did me good to get out of the house.

I have been working from home which is interesting.

I find that being at home I am not eating as much as when I actually go to work as I am not eating breakfast until later, and so am only eating two meals.

We have been supporting our local business as much as we can.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Based upon our own experience, I have to believe many Americans will recognize that a lot of time and money we spend on the treadmill is just unnecessary and it will change the way we look at these things, and our behavior, in the foreseeable future.

This has been my experience as well. I hope you're right.

GrumpyBiker, sorry to hear you're down sick. Hopefully it clears up quick and you have some days of feeling better so you have time to tinker on projects some before they let you go back to work. My parent's, both in their 60s, are in Central OH (Ashland, specifically), so I definitely appreciate the work you guys are doing out there.

Pretty quiet here in the sticks in Indiana. Our numbers are climbing but still manageable. I don't think it's sunk in for a lot of people here...with the nice weather there are a lot out and about and we've been getting calls from others complaining about it. Our admin is really worried that we're going to get sick. There are all kinds of new procedures that they've enacted for arrests, interaction with the public, and interaction with each other. As to the public, the usual idiots are still being idiots. The good folks are pretty much holed up inside trying to minimize contact, so overall call volume is down, and pretty much limited to the idiots.

As for me, I've been running every day, because I have this theory that starting with clear, healthy lungs can only help me when I finally get this thing. I've been packing my lunch because I don't trust fast food and the 24 hour Kroger is closing at night now, so there's nowhere to get anything. As a result, I'm eating healthier and saving money. I've lost a few lbs...my goal before all this started was 20, so I have a few more to go, but this is helping. I found out yesterday that we have grant money available again for bike patrol, so if the weather holds I may start doing some of that to get exercise and make up for the money I lost when all the school details went away.

Just hanging in there. This too shall pass.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
As we end week 2 of the lockdown, I've been thinking of Osama Bin Laden.

He was stuck in his house with 3 wives for 5 years.

I'm beginning to wonder if he called in those Navy Seals himself.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
My brother is keeping the business going. I am walking laps in the house and outside when the weather is fit. Thankfully it's starting to warm up. Then of course there's my friend Jose.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
I'm beginning to wonder if he called in those Navy Seals himself.

Big Grin

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Resigned to current situation at this point.

Feeling kind of low, I am having trouble finding motivation to do anything this weekend, even though I have things around the house I can do. Been sick for a while, and lots of muscle aches, didn't sleep last night. Luckily no fever and my cough is productive. Finally fell asleep at 8AM this morning slept til 1PM. Night prior was 5AM til 11AM. It's really annoying.

Hopefully I get a good nights sleep tonight, probably going to try some beer, see if that helps. Wife is working, so I will try to get productive tomorrow if nothing else to keep me from bugging her while she's working.

One day at a time.

I did get some good news that I already posted somewhere in one of the myriad of COVID threads. Talked to my boss last week. He's going to pay my health insurance for me even though I am not getting a paycheck and said no rush to repay him. Also he's applying for the SBA loans, if that goes through that is 8 weeks pay for me. Even better I have a second interview on WED with Amazon which would leave me in a giant mostly empty data center at same pay or really close to the same pay as my current job. I much rather work than collect money for nothing, and this work environment is MUCH safer than the malls and peoples houses I usually work in.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Finally fell asleep at 8AM this morning slept til 1PM. Night prior was 5AM til 11AM. It's really annoying.

That is one thing I have really tried to stick to, my bedtime / sleeping / waking schedule. Trying to be in bed by 9:30-10pm, asleep by 10-10:30pm, awake between 5:30-6:30am.

It is what I am used to, and if I let it get off schedule that's just one more thing in my world that is not normal, and I do not want that.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am having trouble finding motivation to do anything this weekend, even though I have things around the house I can do.

I don’t have the good reasons you do for feeling like that, but I was thinking just yesterday that the less I do, the less I feel like doing. Fortunately, I was able to get to the range today to test some new 22 LR loads and demonstrate to myself how difficult it is to shoot properly from a benchrest, so I’m doing better this afternoon. All the best to you and hope you start feeling better soon.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I have been working remotely for many years now.
Also been working 7 days a week for about 2 years now.
That takes a toll on me.

I have been trying to sock away as much as possible.

Interestingly, yesterday I helped out a friend on a car project.
He is dropping a 90s vintage ford 5.0l engine into an old ford pickup body.
I went over the wiring for the ecu, input sensors, and output devices and it looked pretty complete.
The vehicle needs some random pieces before we can make an attempt to start it.
That should come together in a couple of weeks.
I am refreshing my memory on the Ford diagnostics for KOEO, KOER and related tests.

Kind of look forward to getting this going after being away from automotive for 20 years.

It’s a nice change from writing code.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Resigned to current situation at this point.

Feeling kind of low, I am having trouble finding motivation to do anything this weekend, even though I have things around the house I can do. Been sick for a while, and lots of muscle aches, didn't sleep last night. Luckily no fever and my cough is productive. Finally fell asleep at 8AM this morning slept til 1PM. Night prior was 5AM til 11AM. It's really annoying.

Hopefully I get a good nights sleep tonight, probably going to try some beer, see if that helps. Wife is working, so I will try to get productive tomorrow if nothing else to keep me from bugging her while she's working.

One day at a time.

I did get some good news that I already posted somewhere in one of the myriad of COVID threads. Talked to my boss last week. He's going to pay my health insurance for me even though I am not getting a paycheck and said no rush to repay him. Also he's applying for the SBA loans, if that goes through that is 8 weeks pay for me. Even better I have a second interview on WED with Amazon which would leave me in a giant mostly empty data center at same pay or really close to the same pay as my current job. I much rather work than collect money for nothing, and this work environment is MUCH safer than the malls and peoples houses I usually work in.

Jesse I hope things work out for you and you get back on your feet soon.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Trying to catch up on chores....

Today I taught the boy the 4 safety rules and let him enjoy his first airsoft rifle.....fun especially on full auto.

It's my wife's father's birthday, he passed a couple years ago. I made sashlik....Georgian bbq

Made the perfect fire/ coals....which she appreciated, her father was the shashlik patriarch...

Her comment..." nothing sexier than a man that smells like wood smoke and meat"

Simple meal, shashlik, mashed cartoushka and salad.

And a couple titos

Now she and the boy are in the hammock and I and enjoying the fire while I type this.....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Home all day every day. We go to the store once a week and try to get over to my daughter's house to visit for a while and see the granddaughter. The daughter is off work for two months and there is no school and they are housebound as well.

I have been somewhat productive. I have done a bunch of reloading and repaired three cuckoo clocks that quit working years ago. So, there is that.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post