SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any reviews and deals on the Solo Stove Firepits?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any reviews and deals on the Solo Stove Firepits? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
I’ve been looking at these for a while. Are they really almost smokeless? Do you recommend? Any cheaper alternatives? Any coupon codes? What accessories?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I have the bonfire and it is every damn bit as good as advertised. Takes a bit to get going so use a good amount of twigs and kindling. But once it’s going it has very low amount of smoke and you just dump logs in. It burns awesome with secondary flames coming out the inside holes at the top. Never needed to stoke the fire at all and practically nothing left in it but ash once the fire burns out.

They used to do Black Friday deals. I am not on Facebook anymore but they would post deals there a lot. The bigger Yukon wasn’t out when I got mine. I’d love that but the only criticism I see is it burns a ton of wood.

I actually just ordered the new stainless cover they came out with about a month ago. It’s shipping to me now. I have had mine about 3 years out in the weather with no ill affects other than discoloration of the steel from hot burning.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Does it put out a good bit of heat or is it more for the ambience? I like to hang out on the patio as far into the winter as possible.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
We’ve had the big one for a year or so, love it. Like frayedends said, once it gets going it’s basically smokeless. Ours pumps out quite a bit of heat as long as you’re within 3-4 feet. We have the vinyl cover for it, I like the idea of a lid though might have to check that out. You do, I think, need smaller logs vs. a regular fireplace.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I generally use it in summer for ambiance. It does put out good heat but the heat is concentrated near the center of the pit so you do need to be close to it. I have seen posts on a solo stove owner’s group on Facebook saying there isn’t enough heat for winter. The Facebook folks build all sorts of heat deflectors to hang over it. I’d guess it’s not enough heat if it’s ice cold out.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
IIRC, there was a more economical version on Amazon Prime that was built more sturdily and got higher customer ratings. Can't find it, now. Maybe not made anymore.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We've had a Bonfire for a year now and LOVE it. Easy to start and, with decent load of seasoned wood, will put out more than enough heat to keep you warm in the upper 40s-50s. For AL/MS environment it's perfect, anxious to finally get some weather suitable.

Oh - like me others are probably skeptical of the claims of it self-ingesting almost all the smoke. It really does, far better than I'd have imagined. It's nothing like sitting around a campfire where no matter where you go, there comes the smoke!

For accessories, their bundle with the storage bag and the ring to set underneath is a good deal, and will keep it from overheating painted concrete, wood, etc. I got one of their weatherproof covers, it works but is SUPER snug and can't go on until cooled down.

They now have a stainless lid, albeit backordered, that should keep water out and can go on while still warm. Waiting on ours to deliver. I'd pick that over the cover and just improvise until that ships.

And of course, you'll want some sort of poker to be able to fiddle around with the burning wood!

2 thumbs up.

eta - to light ours I use either the weed burner if in a hurry, or usually 2 or 3 of these little squares or similar.
Starter square link

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12403 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I have the bonfire model and it's great. Worth every penny.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
love ours...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
My neighbor got a Breeo last year and after sitting around his a few times it's on my list of toys to get. As long as you don't build the wood up past the rim of the pit virtually smokeless. His has a 5" wide stainless steel rim around it. We cooked burgers on it one night and he can lay a sear on a steak like you've never seen. Awesome pit!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Get the optional screen for the top if you use near a home or other fire dangers.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
My neighbor got a Breeo last year and after sitting around his a few times it's on my list of toys to get. As long as you don't build the wood up past the rim of the pit virtually smokeless. His has a 5" wide stainless steel rim around it. We cooked burgers on it one night and he can lay a sear on a steak like you've never seen. Awesome pit!

When ensigmatic posted about another brand, Breeo was the one I was trying to think of. I have no experience with them but on the Facebook page I mentioned people also like the Breeo. There are many posts of Breeo vs Solostove. Sort of like Sig/Glock threads. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
I have the bonfire and love it. They are marked down 30% right now.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Bonfire user here as well. Very nice, sturdy unit. Smokeless for the most part as long as the burning logs don't exceed the height of the unit. As stated above it takes a little to get to the roaring stage, but once it does, it just devours seasoned wood. Throws off lots of heat as the all metal construction radiates it outwards, unlike decorative stove fire pits who's stone absorbs the heat, and radiates nothing outwards. The heat only coming from the flames above the rim of the stone. I also like it because it's portable, so when I want it, I place it where I like, unlike a more permanent fixture that you have to work around. While they are expensive, the stainless appears to be quality and of pretty heavy gauge, not like the junk you get in BBQ's these days.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7503 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
As I understand it they downsized the largest model from 30" to 27" to better accommodate shipping (lower freight charges).

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
My understanding was the 30” models kept getting dented during shipping. A few folks posted they got deals on dented 30” models when they made the switch.

These go to eleven.

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I have the original 30" "Yukon" model. I love it. It has to be damn near full of wood to get going and be smokeless. It is big and eats a lot of wood. Not a problem for me, but be aware.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post