SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Three additional commandments
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three additional commandments Login/Join 
posted
Proposed by Dr. Yehuda Bauer.

Thou shall not be a perpetrator.

Thou shall not be a victim.

Thou shall not be a bystander.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Thou shalt not add anymore to the list of ten.

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!!!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
"I give you these fifteen . . . (crash) Ten! Ten commandments!"

Big Grin

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
"I give you these fifteen . . . (crash) Ten! Ten commandments!"
Ha! That was the first thing that crossed my mind. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Dammit beat me two it twice over. First thing I thought too.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
“Say what you will about the Ten Commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.”

― H.L. Mencken

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering there are over 600 commandments in the Bible, three more ain't gonna do harm.

Razz

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually there are 614 attributes in the Torah which are supposed to be followed but are not commandments.

As a side note the reason the pomegranate is so important in The Torah is the Pom also has 614 seeds, the same as the attributes.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over a thousand do(s) and do not(s) in the New Testament alone.

That's a bunch of (s)s.

613?

Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
Actually there are 614 attributes in the Torah which are supposed to be followed but are not commandments.

As a side note the reason the pomegranate is so important in The Torah is the Pom also has 614 seeds, the same as the attributes.

Except that pomegranates don't actually have 614 seeds.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Thou shalt not add anymore to the list of ten.

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!!!

Yep, +0. Thou are not God.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Most probably, Dr. Bauer and Moses would have gotten along just fine.

posted Hide Post
CORRECTION there are 613 attributes. I miss counted. That’s why your not supposed to post so early in the am.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
CORRECTION there are 613 attributes. I miss counted. That’s why your not supposed to post so early in the am.

Where are these to be found?

Are these sometimes referred to as or included in The Beatitudes?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be late in your question, the 613 Commandments are spread thru the Torah. They are written in the Book of Commandments by Rabbi and Sage Maimonides aka the Rambam in Spain. His actual name was Moshe Ben Maimmon.

Also there is another text the Book of Commandments or Sefer Hamitzot. Also the Book of Education, “Sefer Hahinnuc”.

A series of laws/Commandments will be found in Exedo 34 chapter 5-7. After the Golden Calf.

There are many laws in the Torah, ie on marriage, moral laws, laws of circumcision, etc. Property laws to be followed I think you would be interested in with you knowledge of American Law.

This is a bit long and if you have and questions fire away.

Officers lives matter!

posted Hide Post
Jallen, you might Google the Talmud and this is the series of books on The Oral Laws. Many volumes which may look familiar to you since our laws were based of the volumes of the Talmud.

Officers lives matter!

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jallen, you might Google the Talmud and this is the series of books on The Oral Laws. Many volumes which may look familiar to you since our laws were based of the volumes of the Talmud.

Talmud? I thought it was Torah, which is, or includes, the first 5 books of the Old Testament, I believe.

I seen references to “Talmudic Scholars” from time to time in my vast readings.

posted Hide Post
The Torah is the First Five Books of history if you will. The Talmud is the ancient books of laws, oral laws originally, which have commentaries written of the same page as well os the original with comments based on that laws bringing it up to date.These laws cover the whole expanse of life from marriage to how to prepare the dead for burial. Criminal laws to relations with our neighbors, etc.

Officers lives matter!

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

ha!

now thats funny Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post