SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Formula One legend Niki Lauda dies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula One legend Niki Lauda dies Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
A hero of mine when I was a kid. RIP.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48345660

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
A hero of mine as well, even though I was too small to know who he was growing up. He will be missed.

I think I'll have to watch Rush tonight.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
That's sad. I remember his horrific crash in 1976. Watch the movie "Rush" about his racing career and rivalry with driver James Hunt.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Tough guy. After the fire he grabbed life by the balls and continued in racing and business as if nothing happened.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
That's sad. I remember his horrific crash in 1976. Watch the movie "Rush" about his racing career and rivalry with driver James Hunt.

a very good movie

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I went to the USGP at Watkins Glen in '76, as I did for a decade or so, and saw him race first hand shortly after his injuries.
I doubt there are very many in sports that could do what he did.
A life well lived.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Niki was a class act and a fantastic driver. RIP Mr Lauda.

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear. What a great racing mind.
RIP
(and yes Rush is worth tracking down to watch)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I went to the USGP at Watkins Glen in '76, as I did for a decade or so, and saw him race first hand shortly after his injuries.
I doubt there are very many in sports that could do what he did.
A life well lived.

There’s a young man in the UK who exemplifies the same type of grit. He lost both legs in a horrific crash at 18, and went right back to racing. This was a couple days ago:

Billy Monger: Amputee driver wins Pau Grand Prix two years after serious crash

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lauda epitomized the stereotypical hyper-focused, dispassionate, Germanic ethos. He was a winner and was successful at whatever he set his sights on despite the odds, obstacles and accidents before him.
While Tiger Wood's recent Masters victory could be considered history's greatest sports comeback, Lauda's return from that horrific accident was the gold standard for perseverance and tenacity. Doubt and quit were not in Lauda's vocabulary.

RIP Niki

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I believe he operated a small airline with some 767s and such. This is how I learned of him, ( I'm not much of a sports/racing fan. )

When one of them crashed, he was very involved in the investigation and helping to make sure the issue was resolved, etc.

RIP.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
I believe he operated a small airline with some 767s and such.

The guy founded and ran 3 airlines:

Lauda Air
Niki
Laudamotion

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
I believe he operated a small airline with some 767s and such. This is how I learned of him, ( I'm not much of a sports/racing fan. )

Plus, an important part of the Mercedes racing team and recruiting Lewis Hamilton.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched him race from the time he entered F1. He was a talented "bulldog", and refused to give up.I have the book that he wrote, and perhaps I will read it again. RIP Niki

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just watched an episode of Jay Leno’s garage where he interviewed the chief designer of the 2005 Ford GT. The designer talked about how Laura saw the car and liked it except for the rear, side air intake...he said, “it looks like shit” and walked away.

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate enough to stand a few feet from him at the first Detroit Grand Prix. Both the cars and drivers came through the crowd to get to the track. It really was a different time in the early 80s.

RIP, sir.

Frown

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post