SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Signed up for a Kali class
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Signed up for a Kali class Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
As I mentioned in recent posts, Filipino fighting systems have garnered my attention after meeting a Kali instructor living next door to me. I purchased a pair of escrima sticks, and have been practicing the basics all last month. Tomorrow I'm going to check out my neighbor's self defense school. If my health allows, I may start attending regular training.

Peninsula Self Defense

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
That's good news. I hope you learn a lot.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Enjoy!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
You will enjoy. My wife just completed two days with Martial blade concepts. It was a Philippino style like Kali. She loved it, learned a ton. Good luck, I want to go next time they come around. Enjoy!

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Just got back, and it was everything I could have hoped for. As luck would have it, my neighbor (who normally leads the Kali class) was not there today, so the other instructors took over.

They flipped the class order, so instead of waiting around 45 minutes I joined the Jeet Kune Do class. Never tried JKD before. One of the exercises was the backfist from Enter the Dragon. What do you know, I'd been doing it correctly all this time.

The kali section was great, too. Initially just joined the line with the other students, so I'm glad I had familiarized myself with the basics beforehand. Later I and another beginner were segregated out to work on fundamentals like Heaven 6.

The FM (fibromyalgia) did hit about halfway through, but luckily I had my pills with me so I surreptitiously dropped 30mg of Oxycodone. Did the trick, and I lumbered on.

All in all had a great time, and learned a lot from just the first class. I think this could be my new "thing".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post