SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    News Flash: Diets suck!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

News Flash: Diets suck! Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Weighed myself a week ago last Thursday and I was up to 216. My "trigger" weight is 200 pounds and I've been hovering around 212 for a while. Couple times over the Winter I've done the "I should really go on a diet" thing and made a half-hearted attempt that lasted 2 or 3 days at best.

216 scared me. Years ago, I got up to 225 and went on a wicked pisser of a diet and lost 40 pounds in 90 days. That REALLY sucked. I just cut out the between-meal meals, eat by the clock (breakfast at 5-ish when I get up, lunch at noon, supper at 5:30 or 6:00 no matter HOW hungry I feel) and limit snacks to one small one halfway between breakfast and lunch, and MAYBE one halfway between lunch and supper if I just can't stand it. No special food restrictions beyond no sweets at all (the toughest part).

Weighed in this morning, lost 7 pounds in 10 days. Of course, much of that is water, but still. 10-ish more pounds to go AND try to stick to a life-style change so I don't just put it all back on.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Yes it does. I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been at 255. Need to lose 25lbs to my feel good weight. Been trying to do it for a month cause the doc is making me. If I don’t succeed, it’s high blood pressure meds fo me.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bad blood work results indicating prediabetes on our annual insurance health screening scared me straight in October. I’m down 31 pounds since with a lot more to go. For me it’s not a diet, it’s a change to the way I’ll eat and live forever. Way less carbs, way more vegetables, healthy snacks in between. And I’m exercising regularly. I’ve been obese for nearly 20 years but it finally sunk in. Fuck diabetes. I want nothing to do with that shit.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek:
Bad blood work results indicating prediabetes on our annual insurance health screening scared me straight in October. I’m down 31 pounds since with a lot more to go. For me it’s not a diet, it’s a change to the way I’ll eat and live forever. Way less carbs, way more vegetables, healthy snacks in between. And I’m exercising regularly. I’ve been obese for nearly 20 years but it finally sunk in. Fuck diabetes. I want nothing to do with that shit.

That's the key right there, and unfortunately, the part that eludes me. Dammit, I'm 67 years old, I don't drink, I don't smoke and I've been sleeping with the same woman for 43 years. Stuffing my face is the only pleasure I have left! Big Grin

My bloodwork was edging towards the pre-diabetes threshold too, and that's one of a couple of diseases that scare the crap out of me.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I just cut out the between-meal meals

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At my heaviest I weighed 217 and my doctor suggested cutting back on carbs. Low carb is all the meat, cheese and eggs you can eat! Not a bad diet. I am now down to 200. The only hard part was staying away from sweets, ice cream etc. Being a beer lover, I compare everything to a Miller Lite.
Do I want that piece of bread (13 carbs) or 4 Miller Lites (3.2 carbs ea)?

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F_L:
beer lover

Miller Lite

*Boop beep bonk*

Does not compute... Miller Lite =/= Beer

(Big Grin)

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
beer lover

Miller Lite

*Boop beep bonk*

(Big Grin)

FIFY

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Losing weight is somewhat akin to getting in shape, in that you shouldn’t try to do either real fast. “I’m going to get in shape if it takes all week!” is likely to breed disappointment if not disaster. So is that approach to dieting.

We have become far too accustomed to having situations presented, developed and resolved in 30 minutes minus commercials, maybe 60 minutes or at the most a 90 minute special. Some things take time and rushing only aggravates, if not ends in, misery and despair.

It took time to add the extra tonnage. It is reasonable to anticipate that it will take some time to shed it. It is probably far healthier, easier on your system, too. So what if it takes a few months? Persistence is a worthwhile trait to encourage anyway.

Maybe you want to hurry it up, the sooner to get back to real life, doing whatever you want. Really? C’mon, man!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been doing the low carb thing for 2 months now. Down close to 30lbs.

I've also been intermittent fasting which I think helps a lot.

I eat a very very light breakfast (some berries, piece of cheese or a quest breakfast bar.) around 9:30-10am and then I am done eating for the day by 7:30-8pm. That gives me 13 hours of no eating which has been shown to be beneficial. The suggest men go up to 16 hours every day but I don't know if I can do that.

As others have said, it's about approaching it as a lifestyle change and not a diet. After I get down closer to where I want to be, I will probably transition to more of a Mediterranean style of eating because you can't keep up a low carb, high fat eating habit forever.

It is nice eating a decent sized meal and not feeling like you want to take a nap or have a food baby from all the carbs.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Take a walk every day and you will lose weight and live longer since it helps to push the blood back up to your heart due to the muscle flexing in your legs.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
beer lover

Miller Lite

*Boop beep bonk*

(Big Grin)

FIFY

I had a guy try to insult me on my beer tastes. I told him he didn't have any right to tell me what beer I would buy and enjoy.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I am 155 lbs. fully dressed, so I can't totally relate, but would it not be better to find a level you can live with instead of all these wild fluctuations?

Posts: 27926 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was pushing 210 when I should be at 190. I have dropped 10 pounds so far by just doing portion control. It’s been slow but steady. The next 10 will require use of the garage gym and biking the fire lanes.
Slow is better for weight loss especially when it accompanies lifestyle change.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Eat right.
Exersize.
Die anyway.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek:

That's the key right there, and unfortunately, the part that eludes me. Dammit, I'm 67 years old, I don't drink, I don't smoke and I've been sleeping with the same woman for 43 years. Stuffing my face is the only pleasure I have left! Big Grin

My bloodwork was edging towards the pre-diabetes threshold too, and that's one of a couple of diseases that scare the crap out of me.

Keep up the good work. I was type 2 diabetic and lost 150lbs and now I am no longer diabetic. My A1c is actually low now at 4.8. Losing weight is the best thing you can do take care of the insulin resistance.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Diets never work.

You have to adopt a lifestyle change, not just periods of not eating certain things.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Losing weight is somewhat akin to getting in shape, in that you shouldn’t try to do either real fast. “I’m going to get in shape if it takes all week!” is likely to breed disappointment if not disaster. So is that approach to dieting.

We have become far too accustomed to having situations presented, developed and resolved in 30 minutes minus commercials, maybe 60 minutes or at the most a 90 minute special. Some things take time and rushing only aggravates, if not ends in, misery and despair.

It took time to add the extra tonnage. It is reasonable to anticipate that it will take some time to shed it. It is probably far healthier, easier on your system, too. So what if it takes a few months? Persistence is a worthwhile trait to encourage anyway.

Maybe you want to hurry it up, the sooner to get back to real life, doing whatever you want. Really? C’mon, man!

I'm not doing a "crash diet", I'm just eliminating the constant grazing habit I'm prone to. Basically being really anal about not eating between meals, and a little bit of portion control. Other than that, I eat what's put in front of me so SWMBO doesn't have to cater to some special diet.

That 40 pound marathon weight loss was 15+ years ago and I've been creeping back ever since because I do love to eat.

The 7 pounds in 10 days surprised the heck out of me, I was expecting 2 or 3, max. I'd be tickled with a pound a week from here on out.

Weather permitting, she and I walk 2 miles every day, plus I'm pretty active around the ranch. Less so in Winter, but still active and doing stuff. Sitting on my ass (other than when I'm surfing the 'net) is not something I tolerate well.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Diets never work.

You have to adopt a lifestyle change, not just periods of not eating certain things.

Yeah. You really should not eat like a lumber jack unless you are one.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Keto (low carb healthy natural fats) is not a diet- it's a lifestyle. I'm following it for the 2nd half of my life. The anti-inflammatory effects lets my inhaler collect dust. Down to 2 meals a day without feeling hungry or cravings. Insulin resistance is the real killer and not the cholesterol B.S. we've been force Fed.

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post