SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Iron Sights - a very consistent modern problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iron Sights - a very consistent modern problem Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I got a Colt Python that has a barrel that likes to turn. If I swing the cylinder out, I can start to unscrew the barrel. It was rebarreled from a 6" to a 4" sometime in the mid 70's, but it's all Colt. And it ain't a new problem. Seems to me it could happen with many fine guns.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Feels like I'm the odd man out here.
I've never had a front sight, bead or shotgun rib off kilter so much that it was noticeable like other guys.
Or, I've been very lucky in my gun buys.

Maybe my gun stash has been too small to reflect the numbers you guys have owned. Which is entirely possible. I never did have a large amount of $$ on hand to dedicate to gun buying.
Almost all of my most recent acquisitions have been guns I've won in competitions.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I do not recall ever seeing a new gun, or even an older one that had the sights screwed up! Needing zero? Yes.I have "loaded" M1A that is zeroed at 400 yards, and the front sight is shifted to the right (seem from behind the gun) a fair amount. It has national match sights, etc etc. I was tempted to just install a decent scope on it, but ended up not doing so because I did/do not trust the mounting system for a scope. Looks kind of flimsy to me.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Makes it easier to shoot sideways, Gangsta Style.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Skeeter Skelton used to twist the barrel on his revolvers to correct for windage,

about 40 years ago I acquired a pristine nickled 5 1/2" Colt Scout 22. It was spectacular and made the most wonderful little cluster of tiny holes out to about 40 yards. The only cosmetic flaw, was the front sight blade was tilted a few obvious degrees. Still, it was a marvelous POA/POI plinker.

My local 'smith final talked me into having him rotate the barrel back to 'upright square' etc.....

I never did manage to shoot the thing very well after that. The previous owner bought it back, and he complained he was unable to hit anything either.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
They also make them all blurry now too.

Yes, I noticed that as well...

You guys are hopelessly incorrigible and irredeemable, I swear.

But...they speak the truth!

No they aren't, just blind old codgers giving a younger man a hard time.

Don't trash us old farts. Your day will come and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Smile

I guess I'm lucky because the rifles that I own with iron sights all seem the be centered. I tend to scope my rifles now that I'm up in years and need the added clarity.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Here's my new Gen5 G34, notice the rear sight was off to the right, as reported by some that the factory was sending them out this way on purpose, maybe they are, to correct the low left glock issue.

Note it has the factory blurry front sight installed as well..

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That rear sight looks broken. Why the gap on the left side?

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It's something I pay close attention to when looking at used guns, where the rear sight is. I've passed on a couple that I REALLY wanted, but didn't want to risk it that it was the shooter and not the gun. 20+ years later I'm still beating myself up over not taking a chance on a particular one.

I had an M14S that the barrel wasn't clocked right. I have a S&W 657 with an 8" barrel that is ever so slightly off, so the rear sight favors one side and it drives me crazy. But I don't think it's bad enough that S&W would do anything.

I had a Ruger Vaquero that was VERY off. I believe the frame was cast out of spec. Two trips to back to Ruger, re-crowning, barrel turning, sight bending, nothing fixed the problem. But I refused to drop that dog on someone else, so I kept throwing money at it. I paid to have adjustable sights put on it. It worked, and when you shot and held a sight picture, you couldn't tell there was an issue. It shot well, accurate to POA, but if you held it up you could see how much the sight leaned. It soured me so to the gun that I sold it for what I had in the base gun. I lost a LOT on that one, time and effort in my own work (round butting it, removing the barrel markings, action work,) and the time and expense of the sight work. It would've lost half as much if I'd just cut it up in pieces and thrown it away from the get go.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post