SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Iron Sights - a very consistent modern problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iron Sights - a very consistent modern problem Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I have noticed that on some guns, even expensive guns, that sometimes the front sight blade is cocked to one side in relation to the rear sight. I've also seen it on shotgun ribs on expensive production guns.

So what is the problem ? I thought with modern manufacturing processes, precision robotics etc., that it shouldn't be that hard to attach a front blade sight or rib on a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun that is perfectly vertical with the rear sight and level gun.

Case in point just today. I hefted a Mossy 590A1 shotty with very sturdy and well-made steel front blade and rear peep sights, and the gd front blade was cocked to the left, and not by a little bit.

Please explain how we can walk on the moon in 1969, but can't attach a front sight straight ? For some reason that is bugging the shit out of me tonight, probably because I love that shotty and don't have one. But hell if I'm going to plunk down six big ones for a gun with a cocked sight blade. I cannot think of any good excuse for this otherwise modern BIZARRO BS.

What say you ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They also make them all blurry now too.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I'm serious. It's not Friday !

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Marlin lever actions have had this QC issue for some time.

I put a scope on mine so it's not a huge deal, but still, when you're paying someone $700+ for a rifle, this shouldn't even be an issue.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Yes, I noticed that as well...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Instant RMA. Just like a new SIG. Razz

Remove the irons and install a reflex sight?

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean. I have Colt Dick Special with the barrel turned a hair short of upright. At 25 yards the poi is 6" left. The ribs on the barrel are even seen very slightly off from the ribs on the frame.

I am not sure it is worth pursuing a fix.

What you all think ???

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:

You guys are hopelessly incorrigible and irredeemable, I swear.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
quote:

But...they speak the truth!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Hate to say it, but you lost me at "Mossy" and "shotty". Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy just to find a new rifle with iron sights. I haven't seen one around here in many moons.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Even optical sights, as in scopes can have a problem. Way back, lets say over 50 years ago we would proudly take a rifle with a newly installed scope to show my father. He would lift it to his shoulder and then pronounce it "canted". If it was my rifle, I'd slink away in shame. Particularly because I'd mounted it. Then came the day when I bought myself a new 22.

I'd purchased it from "Afield" gun shop. So I paid up my meager savings and also bought a scope. Not a real good one, but it has lasted for over the 50 year guideline for something lasting long enough. And the Proprietor, Phil, mounted it for me. He knew my dad and chuckled when I said he'd declare it canted.

So sure enough I took it home for my father to admire. And as always, he'd say something like "when are you ever going to learn how to mount a scope." But out of consideration for my poor father, I said nothing. Yes, my father said it was canted, as he always did. The next time we were at the gunshop, Phil even asked me how dear old dad liked my new gun.. Then Phil winked at me, knowing the answer.. And his answer was that you can't please everyone.

What I learned was someone was a bubble off. And I liked my father so I didn't push the issue.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Hate to say it, but you lost me at "Mossy" and "shotty". Big Grin

Mossberg 590A1 Pump Acton Shotgun.

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
quote:

But...they speak the truth!

No they aren't, just blind old codgers giving a younger man a hard time.

Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pwelch001:
I'd be happy just to find a new rifle with iron sights. I haven't seen one around here in many moons.

Not hard to do. I have a Winchester Model 54 3006 with Lyman Target peep. It's good for 1" groups at 100y. Its most of 90 years olde.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
...I have Colt Dick Special with the barrel turned a hair short of upright. At 25 yards the poi is 6" left...

Skeeter Skelton used to twist the barrel on his revolvers to correct for windage, not caring so much about changing the cylinder gap. As a guess, either your gun's previous owner, or the Colt factory, did something similar.

I had an early Kimber with the front sight drifted (can't remember which way), when it should have been straight. Bought it brand new, so it was a factory error, but I didn't keep the gun long enough to worry about it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
It is because people will tolerate it and buy them that way.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Kinda like this Remington 597 with a 11 degree canted front sight. Big Grin

[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Kinda like this Remington 597 with a 11 degree canted front sight. Big Grin

Sure. But that's a Remington.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've had barrels turn while I was shooting them. Quite confused watching as each group steadily moved across the paper. A Ruger and a Freedom Arms.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post