SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need more light in the bedroom. Cans in the corners or centered on the wall??

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Need more light in the bedroom. Cans in the corners or centered on the wall?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
We have a nice trey ceiling but they put no can lights in it just a measly ceiling fan so not nearly enough light.
Going to add some cans. The old house they were in the corners in laws house they are centered on the walls.
I say corners so I don't have a can shooting straight down on the bed or the TV. These won't be for reading that is what the lamps are for. Just want more overall light when folding laundry and general stuff in the room.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
How about a significant upgrade to the light fixture on the fan and some good LED bulbs?

But that's not what you asked!

I kind of have a similar issue in my TV room.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Report This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Do you have a photo of the room?

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Solatube

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Report This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Not sure someone would want solatubes in the bedroom unless they like getting up at the asscrack of dawn every day.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Easier to install than recessed cans, and rapidly gaining popularity with my clients:

http://www.usa.lighting.philip...e-led-downlight.html

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The latest light in the ceiling fan is some goofy proprietary doughnut looking thing with about 100 mini LEDs. Terrible design and not sure how to replace it other than replacing the whole fan.
If just sitting in the room watching TV the light is fine so I think lights in the trey would do better.

No picture of the room as I can only get about a 1/4 of it in the picture.

Arc thanks for the suggestion I'll have to take a look. But do you suggest putting them
In the corners of the room or on the center of the wall?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The wife has upgraded the three bulbs in our ceiling fan in the guest room, using LED's of some sort. It is like walking into a tanning salon, so much light.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you can replace just the light kit on the ceiling fan, rather than replace the whole fan itself.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Easier to install than recessed cans, and rapidly gaining popularity with my clients:

Man those are neat, going to keep these in mind for next remodel.

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My 2016 built home has a ceiling fan w/ lights in the center of the room. The can lights are about 4' from the corners. I rarely turn both on at the same time, but when I do the lighting works well together.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
We have a nice trey ceiling but they put no can lights in it just a measly ceiling fan so not nearly enough light.
Going to add some cans. The old house they were in the corners in laws house they are centered on the walls.
I say corners so I don't have a can shooting straight down on the bed or the TV. These won't be for reading that is what the lamps are for. Just want more overall light when folding laundry and general stuff in the room.

Really too hard to answer without knowing the specifics of the room. Keep in mind you will have light washing the walls and depending on the height of the ceiling and type of bulb the wall wash will be different. If room is big enough I would consider two fixtures along each wall 1/3 of the way from the corners. Then put them on a dimmer and you can create a nice even wash of light all around the room.

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Report This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

Put 4 of those (different brand) in my Daughters Kitchen last year during a remodel, she loves them. They are dimmable and come in two sizes.
Cost was double or more than cans but worth it we think. I did have to replace one that quit working after 3 or 4 months, covered under warrantee.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I'd put them in the corners.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You didn't say the exact size of the room. But I'd think about 3-4' out from the corners