SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    IF You Could Travel to Mars
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IF You Could Travel to Mars Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
It seems to me to be the height of conceit to claim that man will make Earth uninhabitable. These predictions come from the same clowns who said the ice caps would be gone, that global cooling would end us all, that the planet could never support more than 4 billion people, etc. There is always some doomsday prediction.

And one thing no one has ever explained to my satisfaction: If we have or develop the technology to make Mars a habitable place, why can't we just stay put and use the same technology to keep the Earth a habitable place?

You realize you are calling half of my neighborhood clowns and conceited . . . . which is reasonably accurate. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
It seems to me to be the height of conceit to claim that man will make Earth uninhabitable.
< snip >

At the height of the Cold War, a full-on, everybody play, and everybody brings all their toys nuclear exchange might have done it.

IIRC that was about 62,000 megatons.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, I spend enough time away from my family on deployments, I don't need to leave for some awful place I will die at.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Even if I had a day or less to spend on Mars before I died it would be worth it. To be the first human to step foot on another planet. It would be incredible.

There is nothing for me here on earth, I'm quite tired of it.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If accommodations were 1st class, and all expenses paid, it might be something to consider in retirement, or is the journey the highlight and you crash into Mars...no landing?

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Nope, the only way I travel is on the ground. I hate flying at 35,000 feet, let alone space!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Mars is absolutely over-rated. Not even worthy of being called a 'rest stop.'

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
Mars is absolutely over-rated. Not even worthy of being called a 'rest stop.'

And Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids...

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:

And there'd be no one there to raise them if you did...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:

And there'd be no one there to raise them if you did...

In fact it's cold as hell....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I would go to Mars via Recall inc, especially if there was going to be a party there and Richter was going!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
I would go to Mars via Recall inc, especially if there was going to be a party there and Richter was going!

Ah - you just want to see the three-breasted girls, don't you?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
For the pizza?????

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post