SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    IF You Could Travel to Mars
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IF You Could Travel to Mars Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
The visionary, brilliance personified, Elon Musk, says man will destroy planet Earth's ability to support humans, so he is already planning migration to Mars. But he notes we will most likely have to live under the surface of the planet. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I keep hearing that name, but honestly, I don't know who he is and I don't care enough to even look it up.

That is the truth

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
Absolutely, the decedents of those first 100 people will be wealthy on a scale heretofore unseen in human history.

Why do you think that...and would they even have descendants? It's a 1-way trip...

It will be a tough threading of the needle to find enough professionally qualified candidates (the right mix of needed skills) who are both cray-cray enough to go to Mars on a 1-way trip and yet not actually mentally unstable because the stress of this would crack a diamond.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Tell every liberal that Mars is an enormous gun free zone; tell every Islamist that it is the home of Allah, and even looks a little like home.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
You would be bathed in harmful radiation while always confined inside of a small craft, space suit or living quarters. The rest of your life, while battling cancer would be living in close proximity to others battling cancer on a dry, cold and relatively airless desert planet. Supplies would be spotty and I'm sure the psychological state of most would go downhill eventually. The unseen hardships would probably be too much for most to want to handle.

I'm in!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1174 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
You would be bathed in harmful radiation while always confined inside of a small craft, space suit or living quarters. The rest of your life, while battling cancer would be living in close proximity to others battling cancer on a dry, cold and relatively airless desert planet. Supplies would be spotty and I'm sure the psychological state of most would go downhill eventually. The unseen hardships would probably be too much for most to want to handle.

Yeah, life in a colony on Mars would be hell. No way I would choose to live like that.

Shut up indoors and/or underground for life, not able to return to Earth if you live there too long (the reduced gravity would weaken your bones and muscles). . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
since it is not made of pastries, No !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GGF:
No. But when you reach a certain age even going to Kroger could be a one-way trip.

GGF

GOOD ONE!
SOOOOOOO true.

If I was terminal I would go, but only if I could take 2 people with me.
Hillary and Obama.

It would make me the greatest hero the world has ever known.

Posts: 4627 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Mars:

Earth:

Mars:

Earth:

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Well...you could always use your Perky Pat Layout and hope for a continuing supply of CAN-D.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about if we send Hillary Clinton, Dianne Feinstein, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi on a one way trip? It does not have to be Mars.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
If I was terminal I would go, but only if I could take 2 people with me.
Hillary and Obama.

It would make me the greatest hero the world has ever known.

quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Fan:
How about if we send Hillary Clinton, Dianne Feinstein, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi on a one way trip? It does not have to be Mars.

Jesus Christ.... why..... leave that shit at the door.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I keep hearing that name, but honestly, I don't know who he is and I don't care enough to even look it up.

That is the truth

Elon is the founder of Tesla (which acquired SolarCity) and SpaceX. He is the "inventor" of Hyperloop (a 750 mph sealed tube train) and says his passenger rocket will get you NYC to Shanghai in 39 minutes. I think all of his firms are losing money (I wonder why).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:....Shut up indoors and/or underground for life, not able to return to Earth if you live there too long (the reduced gravity would weaken your bones and muscles). . .

But as a Boy Scout recently told me, on Mars, think of how high you could jump to dunk a basketball.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Do they have a mall there? Good restaurants?

A Target would be good. My wife says she can't move anywhere that's more than 30 mine from a Target.

If you had been to our mall, you'd think Mars would be a great idea.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
It seems to me to be the height of conceit to claim that man will make Earth uninhabitable. These predictions come from the same clowns who said the ice caps would be gone, that global cooling would end us all, that the planet could never support more than 4 billion people, etc. There is always some doomsday prediction.

And one thing no one has ever explained to my satisfaction: If we have or develop the technology to make Mars a habitable place, why can't we just stay put and use the same technology to keep the Earth a habitable place?

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the risk of being called anti- NASA or unpatriotic or something, I confess that I don't give a damn about space exploration. Take the money we spend on it and seek a cure for cancer. Or the Flu. Or to help our Veterans. When we resolve some of our problems here, then lets go to space.
Apologies if I have offended any space enthusiasts!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
for myself, I'd go

there are very few things that you could ever do here on earth and have it be a first, or be a pioneer in something

this would be a lot like being the first to the south pole, or the first across the Atlantic

I think there is some adventure in everyone, but I think that I'd go in a heartbeat

I am going to die somewhere. Why does it have to be here?

Going to Mars would be a grand adventure, definitely one for the history books, even to dispel the notion that its impossible to live there

Someone is going to go at some point. Why not?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
Absolutely, the decedents of those first 100 people will be wealthy on a scale heretofore unseen in human history.

Why do you think that...and would they even have descendants? It's a 1-way trip...

eventually it won't be a one way trip, they'll have all the land, mineral, and water ice rights.

ya dig?

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
The environment of Mars is...harsh. Think the worst part of the Sahara desert in the farthest reaches of Antarctica, but colder. With no plants. And no air.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post