SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    IF You Could Travel to Mars
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IF You Could Travel to Mars Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I "feed" my Kindle with no-cost loans from the county library.

I just finished reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir. Read this if you're contemplating a trip to Mars.

Mr. Weir gave a bunch of talks around the time the book/movie were released. Regarding the book, he had lots of scientists assist with the science of the book. The one thing in the book that sticks out as being unscientific is the storm, and he said it was regrettable considering the effort he put into making the rest of it possible and believable.

Great book though!

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Radiation, recycled water/urine, no sex, no alcohol, no BBQ, no Italian food. No thanks.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Not a chance. I can barely deal with flying back and forth between NY and Maui as it is.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
...Good restaurants?
Not much atmosphere.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
...Good restaurants?
Not much atmosphere.
That is REALLY bad!

Go stand in a corner and look ashamed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Everyone I know lives on Earth. All my stuff is here. I'm staying.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107594 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'm not fond of potatoes

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will not go.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
No. I suspect the novelty of space travel would wear off very quickly. A voyage to Mars is a grand dream that sparks the imagination, but I imagine the real thing would be far more tedious and far less exciting than our dreams.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
In an instant.

I'm going to die one day, why not die doing something epic?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
If a brand new technology existed to make a round trip in a week, sure. But at the current technology, no interest whatsoever. I like my life here. Hell, after 10 days in Hawaii, I'm ready to go home.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I'm not fond of potatoes

Yep.

I have heard, all there is to eat are crappy potatoes.

And no dogs...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I'd probably eat the dog only as a last resort.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Had you asked me 6 years ago, I'd have said goodbye to Earth.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Pardon thread drift.

quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
quote:
University of Dayton

Oh my. I'd take the one-way trip to Mars over Dayton OH and SJW-UD.

Razz

Yeah, but you don't know my kids.

<snip>

I'm not concerned, other than the fact that he may piss off some of those SJW's. Wink

Did I mention that he's very good looking, a great athlete, and that he got a 33 on his ACT?? Big Grin

All I can say is "git some."

I have a B.S. from UD in the era when PC was ramping up in the 90s. Make sure he's versed in whatever flavor-of-the-day academic dispute process they have.

A commie journalism professor teaching a summer school speech class told us "present on anything you want" and even the syllabus said our topic was ours to choose. Then, he proceeds to offer me an Incomplete or F for wanting to present a short speech on the history of jet planes because there would be military content. I could not fight the fucker because there wasn't time under the compressed schedule of summer school.

I can also tell you that the school manipulates crime stats and will modify student discipline according to family sob story and the parent's donation amount to the annual giving fund. If affected by crime, try to deal with Dayton City Police, Montgomery County Sheriff, or the equivalent of a "Crime Stoppers" tip line. Anonymous or confidential statements to campus police are not kept confidential or anonymous.

I'm done with the place after their second-to-last printed alumni magazine told us to check our white privilege.

Good luck. You may need a lawyer until your son can pass the bar.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

I just finished reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir. Read this if you're contemplating a trip to Mars.

I'm reading that right now. It's excellent.

And, heck no I would not want to go to Mars, UNLESS/UNTIL they get Star Trek technology where I can go there as a tourist with no more than a couple days transit time.

Anytime in the next 20 years, it would be a year+ round trip, with YEARS of dedicated training leading up to it. Then, there would be months of reconditioning back on Earth (to recover lost bone density/muscle tone). And, there is currently no solution to the GCR (Galactic Cosmic Ray) problem. So, spending months in deep space (considered anything outside Earth's magnetosphere) would be a death sentence, as the GCRs shoot through your brain/soft tissues like shotgun pellets.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
If I did not have my family then absolutely yes.
I'd be ok with the one way trip as I would be Niel Armstrong to the next generation.
I'd be proud.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, the decedents of those first 100 people will be wealthy on a scale heretofore unseen in human history.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ain't no ATM on Mars, Buck rogers. Razz