SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    IF You Could Travel to Mars
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IF You Could Travel to Mars Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
even if it was a one-way trip...would you?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Hell no.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
One-way trip? No. Otherwise, yes.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Yeah, hell no.

But if you want to sign up:

https://www.mars-one.com/

They're looking for volunteers.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
One-way trip? No. Otherwise, yes.

Ditto. One way equals no way. Only if I could afford it would I make a round trip.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Have I ever discussed on this forum that I don't like to fly? I prefer to have control over my own destiny. Don't get me wrong, I have flown a number of times over my 57+ years. But rarely as a first choice. One of the two reasons why I've never been to Europe, nor the west coast. The other reason is that we have six kids, and I'm making damn sure that none will graduate college with any student loans. To me, trips are a frivolous expense for the rich. Oldest two have graduated, third will graduate in December. Fourth in two years, fifth headed to University of Dayton this Fall. Youngest is a sophomore in high school, so maybe I'll be free and clear in about six years (maybe not Wink ).

But hey, y'all let me know how Mars is treating you!! Smile

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
University of Dayton

Oh my. I'd take the one-way trip to Mars over Dayton OH and SJW-UD.

Razz

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Mars not likely unless we can bring down the current travel time and definitely not a one way trip.

Now the moon sign me up as long as it includes a return trip.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Why the hell would I fly one way to a barren rock?

Maybe if it was one of those other planets that's populated with hot space women in metal bikinis that would worship me as their god...

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
quote:
University of Dayton

Oh my. I'd take the one-way trip to Mars over Dayton OH and SJW-UD.

Razz

Yeah, but you don't know my kids. About as conservative as they come (from both sides of the family). The oldest graduated from Spring Hill College in Mobile, a Jesuit run school. She often argued with the liberal professors she had.
Fourth is at University of St. Francis in Ft. Wayne, IN. Doing very well in the EPIC business program (20 students per year are picked for this program). Goes to Mass regularly.
The person in charge of the program decided to transfer her out of the one class she had with an idiot liberal professor, as my daughter had a few run ins with this woman.

The one planning to attend Dayton is constantly at odds with his Theology teacher, as she apparently doe not understand what the Catechism teaches. The teacher has no problem with saying premarital sex is OK. My son tried to explain the Catechism teaching to her, and was promptly dismissed from her class for the day. In a Diocesan-run Catholic high school...
My son will not take crap from idiot liberals.
I'm not concerned, other than the fact that he may piss off some of those SJW's. Wink

Did I mention that he's very good looking, a great athlete, and that he got a 33 on his ACT?? Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
In a heartbeat.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I would. At my age what have I got to lose.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Yes I would. I'd leave tomorrow. Thrill of a lifetime.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
NO! I have a policy that I have held for 63 years... I never go anywhere I couldn’t walk home from if need be.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Do they have a mall there? Good restaurants?

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Nope. If there was not already a system in place to get folks home, it would amount to a death sentence. Don’t get me wrong, I believe that we need to start to seriously become a space-faring species, but Mars is a publicity stunt. The atmosphere is toxic, and even if you could breathe it, if your suit loses pressure, your blood would boil. Almost no usable water to generate new rocket fuel to boost from the surface, no magnetic field to speak of to protect you from solar radiation... basically an endless list of what could go wrong and be certainly fatal in the process.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
No. Don’t think I could sit in a tin can for 6-12 months. It’s bad enough sitting for 5 hours to San Francisco.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
If I wanted air that thin and temps that cold, Id be back in divorce court. No Thanks

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I "feed" my Kindle with no-cost loans from the county library.

I just finished reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir. Read this if you're contemplating a trip to Mars.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
No. But when you reach a certain age even going to Kroger could be a one-way trip.

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post