SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trailer tire pressure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer tire pressure Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I have the Malone trailer for kayaks. The tire is 145/12 (I can't find the profile number but it seems 145/80/12 is common). Load rating D with max pressure 65 psi.

The best I can gather (and I could be looking at the wrong info) is that the rated load is 705 lbs at 26 psi, 816 lbs at 35 psi.

My load is about 200lbs for the trailer + 160lbs for the 2 kayaks - let's say 400lbs total.

The trailer seems to jump around a bit on bumps in the road; I'm just using whatever pressure it is from the factory (I'll measure it later).

Any recommendations for tire pressure I should use given the tire and my trailer / usage? Should it keep it at factory pressure (assuming that they pre-determined some optimal pressure for their trailer)?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

(assuming that they pre-determined some optimal pressure for their trailer)?

Nope, nope and nope.

The bouncing is probably caused by the fact that the trailer and load is so light and the weight balance of the trailer and if the hitch height is correct.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I think the hitch height is correct (or pretty close.

I think the load is on the light side. But how do I figure out what pressure I should be using?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Nice find!

I'll try 35psi and see how that works. The contact patch is about half of the tire width at the moment.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I suspect with that light a load you could probably get by with around 30lbs.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I agree with Blume. How far do you typically tow? If you are running long stretches at high speed don't go too low. But runs of an hour or so you will be fine. Heat is your enemy and lower pressure equals higher temps.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Need to carry more shit in the trailer. Maybe kayak anchors on some 100’ chains.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
110qt cooler full of beer and ice will do the trick.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
If its possible to add 100-200 pounds of shit to the trailer it will be a lot more stable and less jumpy. I don't know the design of the trailer, but perhaps a couple bags of cement or landscape rocks or something.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
other than adding additional load to the trailer, keep in mind that tires carry the load by volume of air the tire can accommodate. small tire, high load, high pressure. large tire, low pressure, low load. maybe get a portable air supply, adjust as needed on your next trip. start low, feel tire temps with your hands, adjust pressure until temps, and ride remain constant.

ymmv
john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
200lbs of dead weight? The trailer is just a frame with a couple of bars going across. I'd have to figure out how to affix 200lbs (likely a little in front of the axle?).

If I do so, do I add the weight and still drop pressure? Maybe drop it to 35 or 40 psi instead of 30? It's likely at 60 right now - will measure it later.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
If its possible to add 100-200 pounds of shit to the trailer it will be a lot more stable and less jumpy. I don't know the design of the trailer, but perhaps a couple bags of cement or landscape rocks or something.

Aside from the negativity of dragging around dead weight, this idea does have merit. I used to have a snowmobile trailer that rattled and squirmed. Strap a sack of Quickcrete (or two bags of mulch -- cheaper!) down on it ahead of the axle, and it behaved like it oughta. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post