SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Went to use my online bill pay and I got a big surprise
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went to use my online bill pay and I got a big surprise Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Very broad and vague. The restriction on prescription drugs doesn't make sense

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ludicrous in every conceivable way.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
This may an issue for their regulating agency. Perhaps the comptroller of currency.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Very broad and vague. The restriction on prescription drugs doesn't make sense

I was thinking the same thing.

I get one of my prescriptions filled online. Insurance wont cover it. Much cheaper online.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
This seems really strange given the normal items like prescription drugs. My take on this is the only reason for the policy is if law enforcement asks them for evidence of your spending they have something in writing allowing them to monitor. I don't think they really care about legal transactions. I'd be willing to bet it's simply if they are asked by the law to look into suspected illegal activity.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Do they allow checks written for such horrendous items to clear? If so... then they're hypocrites. If not...well, I'm sure the Comptroller of the Currency would be very interested to hear more.

If I wanted to get a firestorm going, with the idea of either getting the decision makers fired and/or getting the policy revoked, I'd make sure the local pharmacies and grocery stores (who sell tobacco, and probably also have some in-house pharmacies) were made aware of this. Once the pharmacies and grocery stores find out where this is heading, their legal and PR departments should get into gear posthaste to stop this bandwagon before it starts.

The goal being to get articles out there to the effect of "Idiot SJW Credit Union to hurt local stores and pharmacies."

Yeah, it'll affect other businesses too (gun shops, etc. etc. etc.) but there are some benighted souls out there in the public who might not care about those businesses. Everyone goes to the druggist and grocery store. Wink

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can purchase these items with a credit card and then use bill pay to pay the credit card. That is mainly what I do any way.

I refuse to agree to these terms because if financial institutions refuse to do business with firearm companies,tobacco, scopes etc they are trying to strangle out legal companies I do business with. I am locked out of the bill pay portion of the credit union where I have had an account for over 30 years,unless I agree to THEIR new terms,I am not clicking that box so I am locked out. Yes I can write a check and mail it and that would be one solution.

However I refuse to be a part of, and agree to any agreement which excludes legal industries I support.

Bill pay is a convenience, and I will just be inconvenienced until I can get my direct deposit changed.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Who here sets up an account to buy prescription drugs and tobacco that you then pay with Bill Pay? Don't you just pay with cash or credit already? I don't pay my bill at the local gunstore with bill pay either.

I don't pay for Hookers with bill pay. I don't pay for my bong at the local head shop with bill pay. What do I use bill pay to pay for anyway?

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Who here sets up an account to buy prescription drugs and tobacco that you then pay with Bill Pay? Don't you just pay with cash or credit already? I don't pay my bill at the local gunstore with bill pay either.

I don't pay for Hookers with bill pay. I don't pay for my bong at the local head shop with bill pay. What do I use bill pay to pay for anyway?

^^^^^^^Read my post above yours^^^^^^^^^^^^

I refuse to click that agreement and become a consenting party to excluding sporting goods
companies. I will find another financial institution to do my banking with. It is an attempt to strangle legal industries.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Be sure to read the bill pay agreement at the new bank before depositing your funds. It just might be the same. I think this has something to do with the situation a few years ago where banks were dropping firearm related business because of some bullshit interpretation of government regulation or policy. I don't remember the details. Something about Holder and the justice department trying to make it hard for businesses they didn't like to stay in business.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
That is pretty messed up.

I don't use Amazon Pay, but their list of prohibitions is not much different and maybe even worse. https://pay.amazon.com/us/help/6023

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm, do they think Obummer and his butt buddy Holder are still running the show?

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
Hmm, do they think Obummer and his butt buddy Holder are still running the show?

No. Does that mean that this government policy has been rescinded or that banks have changed their policies if they have been rescinded? Bureaucracy takes time.

Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
So nobody has considered the credit union may or may not be under a consent order for having an inadequate (as defined by a regulator) customer identification program and that's how the internal people elected to interpret the consent order? Every class on that list could be classified as being suceptible to bsa/aml review. This is apparently a thing now. It sucks.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteer:
That's insane. What is there left you can buy? Boxes of fluffy puppies and snuggly kittens?

Well, there's a couple of threads around here that show we are kinda partial to puppies and kittens.

USAA bill pay agreement only prohibits payees outside of the US and its territories.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Who here sets up an account to buy prescription drugs and tobacco that you then pay with Bill Pay?
I don't think that too many people set up an account specifically to buy prescription drugs and tobacco. However, many people do buy those items online and pay by check. My insurance plan offers lower prices on some prescription meds if I get them by mail. There are a bunch of websites that sell cigars, pipe tobacco, etc.

Many people mail order this stuff and pay by check. Online Bill Pay is easier, more convenient, and possibly more secure than mailing a paper check. My credit union encourages use of Online Bell Pay as opposed to paper checks.

Heck, I've even bought firearms from SIGforum members and paid with Online Bill Pay. A P228 and a couple of Ruger LCRs, to say nothing of various holsters, magazines, and other accessories.

I do not understand why a bank or credit union would restrict the use of this facility for a legal transaction. On the other hand, it might not be the bank or credit union, it might be a pass-through. My credit union, for example, does their Online Bill Pay through a larger bank which in turn uses a national service, CheckFree. The restrictions might be placed by one of the upstream entities.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:

USAA bill pay agreement only prohibits payees outside of the US and its territories.

Thank you for posting that. That will save lots of us time.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I agree with the policy. It will significantly cut down on all crimes involving drugs or firearms. (It's not like criminals could use cash for such transactions). I also believe unicorns smell like roses. Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I agree that the new policy is outrageous and the proper action is to ASAP move your account to another CU.

However, I don't think I've ever used online bill pay through either my bank or CU. I pay for everything by cash, check, credit card, or debit card (mostly the latter). I do have a PayPal account but I don't think that's the same. (It's used to buy silver coins.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post