SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who here makes their own vanilla extract?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who here makes their own vanilla extract? Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
For those here who make or have made their own vanilla extract, I have some high quality beans and I'd like to make both single and double fold vanilla extract.

I have some questions I am hoping our Sigforum chefs will answer:

Which recipe do you use to make your extract? What proof alcohol do you use? Do you use Everclear, vodka, or something else?

How do you prepare the pods? What type of bottle do you use?

How many months do you soak the prepared vanilla pods in the solution?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
1/4 lb beans cut in 1/4"-1/2" pieces (used a new pet toe nail clipper)
quart canning jar
fill with vodka (cheap)
6 weeks
strain out the beans
done

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:
1/4 lb beans cut in 1/4"-1/2" pieces

Did you open up the beans along the long axis to expose the seeds before you cut them in pieces?

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Seen the price of vanilla beans lately? Unbelievable!

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:
1/4 lb beans cut in 1/4"-1/2" pieces (used a new pet toe nail clipper)
quart canning jar
fill with vodka (cheap)
6 weeks
strain out the beans
done

no, just cut them to length and soaked

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Y"all are wasting your beans!
WHOLE beans soaking in Cheap vodka, as you use any vanilla add more vodka in the same beans.
I use 6 beans in an old tomato sauce jar.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
We split ours lengthwise. Stick it in Mason jars and stick in the back of the pantry.

We usually let's ours sit for about 6 months. We also make a boubon based version for certain types of dessert like bourbon pecan pie

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I pour a shot from a bottle of vodka to make a little space and drop the cut pieces of beans into the bottle. I'm currently on my third batch with the same beans. First batch took two months, second took six months, so I'm guessing a year for this one. I have Tahitian beans, but I think Madagascar are more common. Some people use Bourbon rather than vodka.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
We used brandy here.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I made the double fold extract today. I think my hands are going to smell like gourmet vanilla beans for a week. Smile

Thank you to everyone who took the time to help me with this.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
How do you know when it's done?

My grandma used to say, "when it looks right". I suppose it's one of those types of deals?

Posts: 20084 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
And never toss the beans. When you're done, throw them in the dehydrator, then grind them in a spice grinder and use the powder to boost the vanilla flavor of just about anything.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
How do you know when it's done?

I'm going to leave the vanilla beans in the solution for 6 months to a year. It started to look dark after a few hours.

There are a LOT of beans in each quart. I weighed the beans using a calibrated gram scale. With ~47.5% alcohol and double the normal weight of beans, hopefully it will work well. I will shake the mixture up on a regular basis for a while then let it be.

quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
And never toss the beans. When you're done, throw them in the dehydrator, then grind them in a spice grinder and use the powder to boost the vanilla flavor of just about anything.

Thank you for the suggestion, and good luck with your new chocolatier venture. With your food talents, that should be a great success.