SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a way to record OTA programs without using a Tivo?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a way to record OTA programs without using a Tivo? Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
I'm looking for something that will find episodes from educational series on PBS and other OTA channels for use in our home school. It would be helpful if it would save to a video file type I can move to a thumb drive. I'm open to any of the Tivo alternatives which would allow me to do this.

Tivo seems great, but IIRC the files cannot be used outside of the TIVO software.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Sure - by essentially building your own Tivo (DVR/HTPC), then it'll record anything you feed it, in a myriad of file formats that aren't proprietary or locked down with DRM.

There are probably pre-built/off the shelf solutions, but that's not my forte.

And if you have existing desktop or similar PCs that will let you add things like a TV Tuner card, then you can probably add onto a machine you have already vs building a new one.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RCA has a digital converter box, which allows recording to a thumb drive.

You can play back from the unit or insert the thumb drive into the computer and transfer the files for playback on the computer.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
Channel Master makes a DVR that requires no monthly fees. My father in law has one and likes it.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Windows 7 Media Center - I use the SiliconDust tuner.

SiliconDust is also marketing a DVR program now - they recommend using a NAS for storage.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I’m using a Silicon Dust HD Homerun as my tuner, and their software running on a Beebox HTPC as a DVR/player. I’m pretty certain the files are a standard format. I’ll try to remember to check on that.

Note that you may have on-demand access to the PBS shows you want via the PBS app on a Roku or similar device, or via the PBS website.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by james_1234:
Channel Master makes a DVR that requires no monthly fees. My father in law has one and likes it.

And there's a guy on Audio/Visual Science Forum that makes a nice MS-Win GUI app that will easily convert its recorded content to something playable by other media players.

quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
SiliconDust is also marketing a DVR program now - they recommend using a NAS for storage.

And the HD HomeRun Quatro does four (4) channels. "Who needs to view/record four channels at once?" you might ask. Well, it turns out, we do. It's rare, but it has happened that we wanted to record three that overlapped. The CM DVR+ can record only two (2), simultaneously.

We've been using a CM DVR+ for several years. It's nice enough, but I'm looking to the SD HD HomeRun as an upgrade.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

quote:

And the HD HomeRun Quatro does four (4) channels. "Who needs to view/record four channels at once?" you might ask. Well, it turns out, we do. It's rare, but it has happened that we wanted to record three that overlapped. The CM DVR+ can record only two (2), simultaneously.

We've been using a CM DVR+ for several years. It's nice enough, but I'm looking to the SD HD HomeRun as an upgrade.

Does the HD HomeRun Quatro have a guide like Tivo? Is there a cost for it? Does the guide include local over the air channels?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

quote:

Does the HD HomeRun Quatro have a guide like Tivo? Is there a cost for it? Does the guide include local over the air channels?

It's been a few weeks since I looked into it, but ISTR there is a guide available and ISTR there's a nominal fee for it.

Here ya go: Silicon Dust DVR Service.

TL;DR: $35/year. You provide the storage.

Hmph. Apps for numerous devices, but not Roku.

The ChannelMaster DVR+ gets a free guide. (N.B.: Apparently a prior CM DVR lost its free channel guide after a time.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post