SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    No good deed....Starbucks robbery suspect may sue 'Good Samaritan' who subdued him
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No good deed....Starbucks robbery suspect may sue 'Good Samaritan' who subdued him Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Hey - this is California. All it will require to win the case for the plaintiff will be to convince a juror or two that the poor boy was just turning his life around, and that he was desperate, and that the good Samaritan had some kind of a complex and had no right to get involved. With a jury made up of typical Californians, they have a good chance of winning.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yet another reason why good training pays off. If you are well-trained, ironically you could end the deadly force threat a lot quicker (likely resulting in their death) and yet likely not be as exposed to an excessive force suit because you only stabbed them once or twice.

The reason he had to stab 17 times was because they weren't effective. There aren't many places you can stab someone and get an immediate or even rapid incapacitation.

I doubt this will go anywhere either. He had a gun and stabbed citizen in the neck, and the perp lived.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
To bad Lizzie Borden wasen't around to lend a hand. Wink

Posts: 5739 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
Hey - this is California. All it will require to win the case for the plaintiff will be to convince a juror or two that the poor boy was just turning his life around, and that he was desperate, and that the good Samaritan had some kind of a complex and had no right to get involved. With a jury made up of typical Californians, they have a good chance of winning.

How can you win with one or two jurors out of twelve? Confused

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Filing these sorts of suits in and of itself ought to be a hanging offense.

but you just know that a lawyer will take the case and ruin the victims life

there should be an arbitrator of what is a good lawsuit that has merits and what is a junk lawsuit

lawyers that make a career of junk lawsuits should be disbarred and jailed

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53181 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I don't think this will even get to court. It's amazing that the family thinks what the Samaritan was wrong but her own oxygen thief stabbed him first. I wonder if the Fed.'s could look into the family as well. We don't need anymore trash.

I wouldn't count on it not getting to court. It's a civil not a criminal suit. My understanding is the bar ain't that high and we are talking Commiefornia. At best our hero is going to have to pay some lawyer to defend him in court and that could get expensive even if the human trash on the other side doesn't win with some legal aide lawyer working pro bono.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This is the same kind of tortured logic that leads people to believe the nuttiest of things. The other day I watched a YT video wherein a man was explaining that only people of color are humans because the word broken down is hu man. Hu(e) as in color and man as in man. Hu man. Whites are not of color so they are not humans.

That is just scatacephallic. There's no other way to describe that kind of logic. This woman either has been instructed or otherwise convinced that what she said makes sense. Now that she believes it, if it is not confirmed by a favorable judgment, it will be because of some prejudice. More fecality. I think some people are in capable of experiencing reality.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
This is the same kind of tortured logic that leads people to believe the nuttiest of things. The other day I watched a YT video wherein a man was explaining that only people of color are humans because the word broken down is hu man. Hu(e) as in color and man as in man. Hu man. Whites are not of color so they are not humans.

That is just scatacephallic. There's no other way to describe that kind of logic. This woman either has been instructed or otherwise convinced that what she said makes sense. Now that she believes it, if it is not confirmed by a favorable judgment, it will be because of some prejudice. More fecality. I think some people are in capable of experiencing reality.

That's just stupid. Hu(e)man. Hue is a city in Vietnam, therefore only Vietnamese are human, duh! Roll Eyes

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Has Starbucks banned him for life yet?

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Fresno is not a particularly groovy place, but it is a whole lot more conservative than the bay area. They actually understand that a dirtbag is a dirtbag there, as opposed to a poor, disadvantaged yute^H^H^H^H uh, I mean youth. Still, the state of California desperately needs the law that Florida and a few others have that if you are no-billed, or acquitted from any criminal charges, anyone who wants to bring a civil suit can go suck it.

I realize that contingency cases allow the poor to have access to the legal system, but there should be some reform of the system. I'm a fan of the idea that contingency cases are fine, but the judge or jury (in case of a jury trial) has three choices in reaching their verdict: 1) You're right, you win. 2) You had a legitimate case, but you didn't win. 3) Your case was BS. In the first case, you get whatever you sued for (or whatever was awarded). In the second case, you get nothing, and are only out your lawyer's fees (or your contingency lawyer is out of luck). In the third case, you are required to pay all of your own legal costs, your opponent's legal costs, and a reasonable rate for his or her time, or if it was a contingency case, your lawyer has to pay those costs. I suspect that this would take a lot of BS out of our legal system.

There are countries where in order to bring suit, one must put up a bond equivalent to the expected legal costs of the folks you are looking to sue. This is probably going too far, but I'd guess it heads off a lot of BS lawsuits before they ever get started.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S600MBUSA:
I suspect our hero is going to come out of this just fine.

But at what price? Criminal defense attorneys charge crazy money these days.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
And since Commiefornia is going to be a sanctuary state, if this piece of trash was a F illegal, he wouldn't get deported. If the Feds were looking for him, he'd be off the radar. Pretty F pathetic.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Legal analyst Charles (Chuck?!) Magill! Red Face

Good catch. It's possible the writer made up the quote.

I think there's only one consideration on whether a lawsuit will be pursued: How deep is the good samaritan's pockets and whether he has home insurance or umbrella insurance.

I hope if the lawsuit moves forward, the good samaritan will get some pro bono help.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Knife wounds, particularly slashing, can appear to be far more gruesome than many gun shot wounds. Knife cases are often harder to defend than shootings. This can make an excessive force case work in this shitbag's favor.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is just scatacephallic. There's no other way to describe that kind of logic.

What does scatacephallic mean? I've wracked my brain and all I come up with is shit.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Must have been a slow news day.
What criminals mother doesn't make similar ridiculous statements?

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I hope she is mocked and ridiculed the rest of her short life.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
That is just scatacephallic. There's no other way to describe that kind of logic.

What does scatacephallic mean? I've wracked my brain and all I come up with is shit .

You are halfway there.

-cephalus

Etymology: Gk, kephale, head

suffix meaning (a) an abnormal condition of the head, as indicated by the stem to which the ending is attached, such as hydrocephalus; (b) an individual having an abnormal condition of the head, especially a congenital anomaly of the fetus, such as dicephalus.

Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 9th edition. © 2009, Elsevier
-------------------------------------

It is a creative attempt to describe someone who can only appropriately be defined as having excrement for brains. As a rule I don't use profanity but sometimes there is no better description. So I use more acceptable terms like 'scat and 'cephalus' combined and grammatically modified to the circumstance. However, this time I misspelled my own contrivance with an extra 'L'. D'oh!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What does scatacephallic mean? I've wracked my brain and all I come up with is shit.

Scat = poo
Ace = like a spade
Phallic = like your junk

Beyond that, I'm lost!

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Puddle Pirate
Picture of kornesque
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I don't think this will even get to court. It's amazing that the family thinks what the Samaritan was wrong but her own oxygen thief stabbed him first. I wonder if the Fed.'s could look into the family as well. We don't need anymore trash.

Right. Stabbing him umpteen times was justified WELL before he got poked in the neck based on the video. I imagine if I was him and got stabbed in the neck there would be no off switch. Dude's lucky to be alive to even consider this.

"Happiness is red and free."

Posts: 1794 | Location: Low Country, SC | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post