SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rode My Horse for the First Time in a Year
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rode My Horse for the First Time in a Year Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
Got on to ride today for the first time in about a year. Had knee problems that made mounting difficult, riding painful and dismounting dangerous. Knee gradually got better, but I had projects to do, and it was hot, and there was a kid that was riding the horse regularly so he got worked, etc., etc...

Finally got back on and it felt great. I didn't lose my rhythm or balance in the time I was off, so I was able to just get on and go. Fantastic day with a nice breeze.

Gave the old boy a good bath when we were done, and a German Muffin (heavy, sticky molasses and oat muffin) which is HIS FAVORITE THING EVER!

Good day!

The herd; Fernando, Karma, Storm Trooper and Magnum.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
The herd; Fernando, Karma, Storm Trooper and Magnum.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Nice looking horses. Good you got back in the saddle!

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Beautiful horses. Magnum is a very appropriate name for him.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Magnum is a great great grandson of Secretariat, and when he lights the burners, it's really something to see.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I have never been on a horse. It is on my bucket list.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Is that Magnum on the right, the sorrel? Here I was thinking he was a quarter horse and a darned fine looking on too. I guess my eye isn’t what I That it was. Some fine looking horseflesh you have there regardless of breed.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Good lookin' bunch of molasses thugs there...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Now how can you not feel good after seeing a posse like that! Smile

I dated 3 different girls who all had horses, but for various reasons I never got a chance to learn to ride and I've always felt like I missed out. One of the girls once put me on her horse and he figured out pretty quickly that he had a rookie on board and tried to use the awning on feeding station in the field to knock me off. Kinda feel like a cowboy without a horse.

Used to love to feed apples to horses when I was a kid and a few years ago, when a friend of mine and his wife were delayed returning back to the state I got an emergency call asking if I would drive to his place an hour away to feed his horses and check on them...and I was only too happy to do it.

Glad you were able to get back in the saddle and thanks for sharing the pics!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My left knee hurts when I mount up (from a mounting block} but I take both feet out of the stirrups before I dismount.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That first picture of Karma, I mentally captioned "Ehh, what's up, Doc?" Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of Storm Trooper; one white foot and no other white anywhere else. His head is like a Skipper W horse I once owned.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes, Magnum is on the far right. We use a mounting block, fence, or stump to mount. These horses are all fairly large; Karma and Fernando are 16/2 hands and Magnum is 15/3. I can ground mount a quarter horse no problem, but these guys are a long way up. I also drop out of the stirrups before I dismount. Don't want to go ass over teakettle if my left foot is still in.

quote:
That first picture of Karma, I mentally captioned "Ehh, what's up, Doc?" Cool

Yup! That's pretty much what that was.

quote:
I like the looks of Storm Trooper; ...

Troop's a good boy. Thoroughbred, and can be a bit skitchy, but still a good boy.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
After a year, was the horse as happy about the ride as you were? I'd think they'd forget how it felt and might resent getting back to it. (But I'm not a horse. . . .)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes, he was happy to go. He was ridden regularly by my partner, my daughter, and a local high school student, so he was in proper shape for it.

Plus, believe it or not, horses like to have a job. They are happier when they work, and if one is ridden and the other's are not, sometimes they show signs of jealousy. They like the attention.

Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Great day to ride, glad you could get out!

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful horses Artie,how’s the price of hay in Fla.?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
We pay $13-15 for T&A or O&A, usually imported from Canada. A 600lb. round bale of coastal is $45-$65 depending on quality.

Fortunately, our place is on a lake, and one of our fields keeps some pretty good grass cover, even during the dry season, although we got pretty thin this year until the rains came about 10 days ago.

We have about 18 acres of pasture and only 4 horses, so we are able to keep them on grass year round without stripping the fields.

We supplement with hay during the winter (dry season) and feed a flake of alfalfa daily until the grass comes in good. Once we have good pasture, we only keep enough hay and alfalfa on hand to get them in and keep them munching during thunder storms. The rest of the time they are free to roam and graze.

Unless we have lightning, our guys are out 23 or more hours per day, coming in only for grain twice a day, morning and evening.

posted Hide Post
Beautiful animals and I love watching them when i am around some locally. My one riding experience ended with me on my back in the dirt, so I stick to things with engines now.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
They’re gorgeous. Happy you were able to get back in the saddle. May I ask why you chose Karma over the others?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post