SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump era brings changes to presidential coin
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump era brings changes to presidential coin Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Now that Donald Trump is president, the traditional presidential challenge coin has undergone major changes, including the addition of his "Make America Great Again" slogan.

In addition, the presidential seal has been replaced with an eagle bearing Trump's signature, the Washington Post reported.

The 13 arrows representing the original states are also gone. The national motto, "E pluribus unum" -- a Latin phrase that means "Out of many, one" -- also has been removed.

Some ethics experts questioned the unprecedented decision to include a campaign slogan on the coins, which are often given to members of the military, the newspaper reported.

“For the commander in chief to give a political token with a campaign slogan on it to military officers would violate the important principle of separating the military from politics, as well as diminishing the tradition of the coin,” Trevor Potter, a Republican and former chairman of the Federal Election Commission, told the Post.

In addition to his signature, Trump’s name appears three times on the coin, which is nearly twice as thick as its predecessors, while the traditional subdued silver and copper coloring is replaced with gold, the report said.

Challenge coins originated from military baubles bearing division insignia and presented by officers to troops for exemplary service, the Post reported.

Not everyone in the Trump administration has created their own challenge coin; among them is Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, a retired Marine Corps general.

“It’s not about him. It’s about the person whose hand he is shaking,” Mattis' spokeswoman told the Post.

White House officials declined to say how much the coins cost or who designed them, according to the report.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

"...would violate the important principle of separating the military from politics"

...that's a joke, right? They can't actually be saying politics and the military are separate....right?

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
quote:

"...would violate the important principle of separating the military from politics"

...that's a joke, right? They can't actually be saying politics and the military are separate....right?

That was my first thought as well. Commander in Chief have any meaning? So I guess the military can go out and start a few wars as they see fit with no government oversight?

But back to the coin. It sounds pretty bad ass. Especially being twice as thick.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This President loves flash. Take a look at Trump Tower.
Lots of flash. It’s his personality.
I think we all wanted a change from the standard party minion. We got what we wanted.
I’m looking forward to the next 7 years.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fgwilliams1:
I think we all wanted a change from the standard party minion. We got what we wanted.

+1
Not really the design I’d have chosen, but I am so pleased with everything he has accomplished I’ll be darned if I’m going to quibble about little things. The next guy can change it back in seven or so years if he wants. In the meantime, roll on Trump Train!

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read this online. Not sure if it’s true, but if it is, I want one!

quote:
Challenge coins are now being used by many different organizations. In the federal government, everyone from Secret Service agents to White House staff to the President's personal valets have their own coins. Probably the coolest coins are those for White House Military Aides—the people who carry the atomic football—whose coins are, naturally, in the shape of a football.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by fgwilliams1:

+1
Not really the design I’d have chosen, but I am so pleased with everything he has accomplished I’ll be darned if I’m going to quibble about little things. The next guy can change it back in seven or so years if he wants. In the meantime, roll on Trump Train!

Pretty much where I'm at on it.

The leftist whingers are, of course, all over it like a bad suit Roll Eyes

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with President Trump making the change. In 2024, Pence can change it again.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Will they be available for us to purchase?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7084 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I cannot even believe this is a real news story. Did they run out of actual news to cover?

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Will they be available for us to purchase?

Usually those are given out (not sold) to someone who did a good job at something when he/she did not have to. They are tangible "attaboys" for a short-term event.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
what did the previous ones look like

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
They got his middle initial wrong...It should be an F...As in, Donal Fucking Trump! MAGA!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
what did the previous ones look like

I don't know but probably a prayer rug with a rainbow

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some ethics experts...

Who are these experts and what makes them an expert?
Roll Eyes
/rhetorical question.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The military strives to stay out of politics.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
One of my NCOs got a secret service coin for working with them when Biden visited our FOB.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
quote:

The military strives to stay out of politics.

8 years (and counting) in the Army tells me that if that's the case, we have failed miserably. There are politics involved at EVERY level.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post