SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Army puts a laser on an Apache
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Army puts a laser on an Apache Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
++++LINK++++

This is what happens when the Army puts a laser on an Apache attack helicopter
By Harold C. HutchisonJun. 26, 1:55 PM

The United States Special Operations Command just tested a high-energy laser on the AH-64 Apache attack helicopter, marking the first time such a weapon has been deployed aboard a rotary-wing aircraft.

According to a press release from defense company Raytheon, the test was a complete success, “providing solid experimental evidence for the feasibility of high resolution, multi-band targeting sensor performance and beam propagation supportive of High Energy Laser capability for the rotary-wing attack mission.”

Matthew Ketner, branch chief of the High Energy Laser Controls and Integration Directorate at the Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division, Virginia, shows the effects of laser hits on materials during Lab Day in the Pentagon, May 18, 2017.

“This data collection shows we’re on the right track. By combining combat proven sensors, like the MTS, with multiple laser technologies, we can bring this capability to the battlefield sooner rather than later,” the release quoted Raytheon vice president of Advanced Concept and Technologies for Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems Art Morrish as saying.

The Apache used a HEL mated with a version of Raytheon’s Multi-Spectral Targeting System, which combined electro-optical and infrared sensors, against a number of targets. The data from this test will be used to future HEL systems to address unique challenges that stem from their installation on rotary-wing aircraft, including the effects of vibration, downwash, and dust.

The Apache has had laser systems since it entered service in 1984, but the lasers were low-power systems that are used to guide AGM-114 Hellfire air-to-ground missiles. A HEL will have the ability to destroy targets.

An Army release noted that the service has also tested lasers on the Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck in April 2016 and the Stryker this past February and March. In both cases, the lasers downed a number of unmanned aerial vehicles. The Navy has a laser on board USS Ponce (AFSB(I) 15, formerly LPD 15), which is currently operating in the Persian Gulf.

Lasers offer a number of advantages over artillery and missiles. Notably, they are invisible, and the power of the weapon can be adjusted to handle a specific material, like steel plating or Kevlar. HELs can even be set for non-lethal effects on people.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
That's cool, but how does smoke and fog affect them?

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
And how long does it take the laser to burn through those materials displayed?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Pretty interesting pics of the different armor it pierces. Since the Apache's primarily role is anti-armor attack I'm not sure what putting a hole in armor does for the Army? If they hit armor with a HE or KE weapon it takes the armor and crew out of the fight. Does it have enough power to slice the armor in half or does it require pinpoint accuracy of putting a hole in something important?
quote:
According to a press release from defense company Raytheon, the test was a complete success, “providing solid experimental evidence for the feasibility of high resolution, multi-band targeting sensor performance and beam propagation supportive of High Energy Laser capability for the rotary-wing attack mission.”
Is it just me or does everyone else think Raytheon needs a new person writing press releases?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Pretty interesting pics of the different armor it pierces. Since the Apache's primarily role is anti-armor attack I'm not sure what putting a hole in armor does for the Army? If they hit armor with a HE or KE weapon it takes the armor and crew out of the fight. Does it have enough power to slice the armor in half or does it require pinpoint accuracy of putting a hole in something important?
quote:
Is it just me or does everyone else think Raytheon needs a new person writing press releases?

This is an interesting development but I thought the exact same thing. They couldn't have used more pontification in that statement if they tried.

They could have just said "we mounted a big a** laser on a chopper and it blasted the heck out of our targets as shown in the photos, and with pinpoint accuracy". Wink

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today the Navy puts a laser on the Apache, tomorrow the Navy put one on a shark. Smile

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's defense contractor speak. They aren't talking to you, they are showing off to Lockheed and all the rest.

Posts: 33791 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Sure does a number on quadcopters. Although I still like the trained raptor approach for quadcopter defense.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
All the cats in Syria will chasing the red dot for hours!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29693 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
New name for a boy child:

Apache Laser

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
All I want is a bunch of Apache's with laser beams attached to their heads, is that too much to ask?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

Or a cloudy day/night?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4575 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
How about a plasma weapon similar to a GAU 8, in the 40Mw range?
Multiple rapid hits in the same area, should be far more lethal.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Apparently they haven't gotten the kinks worked out in the shark mounts yet.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
All I want is a bunch of Apache's with laser beams attached to their heads, is that too much to ask?

Geronimo!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

Or a cloudy day/night?

About as much as any other targeting laser coupled to every IR targeting pod. Increased distance and particulates in the air have a detrimental effect.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Are you kidding?! What a fine example of corporate speak. One has to practice for years to make something as cool as a laser mounted on a fricken helicopter sound that boring. I bet the Army eats it up.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Lasers are so last century. When are they going to deploy mounted pulse cannons in the 400 watt range?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I identify as an Apache attack helicopter. I wonder if I will be able to get this weapon surgically attached to my weapons pylons?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post