SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lighting fixtures won't hang level
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lighting fixtures won't hang level Login/Join 
posted
Replaced a light fixture and can't get it to hand level. One side is about an inch lower than the other. It is on a chain so I'm not understanding how it is hanging out of level.
It has 5 adjustable arms so I'm going to play with the spacing hoping that will balance it better.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
If you reload, a little lead on the high side will fix that right up for you. Razz

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a product that will make it easy to balance it out:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/c...3-3v8VsaAikdEALw_wcB

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
If you reload, a little lead on the high side will fix that right up for you. Razz

Yeah, that has been a consideration as well. At one point yesterday I was contemplating unloading a little lead on it. F'ing Chinese translated instructions.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
What's the outer diameter at its largest?

Think of it like a bike rim, it's out of true, not equally tensioned between the hub and outer edge of its circle. You might try taking it down and getting it to sit level on a table first. You might get lucky just futzing with the outermost ends of it while hanging to see if that will do, bending or twisting them as needed/possible.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I repair spinning wheels. They don’t run right unless they are pretty well balanced. I will often use a piece of lead solder on the light side to balance them. That might be enough for you. In your case you might just leave it in place if it isn’t too obvious. In mine, when I find the right length piece, I can often drill a skinny hole in the wooden wheel and push a similar piece in, sealing it with a drop of glue.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got it squared away with re spacing of the 5 arms. Thanks for the input all.

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Put your other shoe back on

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post