SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vlado Lenoch killed in crash of his P-51D
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vlado Lenoch killed in crash of his P-51D Login/Join 
posted
Lenoch was well-known in the P-51 community, and flew his Mustang in air shows. I never met him personally, but a couple friends knew him.

According to news reports, he was doing aerobatics with a passenger when they went down, both killed.
http://abc7chicago.com/news/il...plane-crash/2224543/

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sad news

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it was this guy or not, but a good friend of mine bought his father a ride in a P-51 at an airshow in Idaho just a couple of weeks ago.

A few days later I saw a P-51 buzzing around the airport in Missoula.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Crap.

Local guy to me. Class act. He did a flyby at a buddies funeral that had us on the deck.

Enjoy the flight West Sir.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Not sure if it was this guy or not, but a good friend of mine bought his father a ride in a P-51 at an airshow in Idaho just a couple of weeks ago.

A few days later I saw a P-51 buzzing around the airport in Missoula.

You saw the "Betty Jane"
http://www.collingsfoundation....ican-tp-51c-mustang/

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
A shame when a talented pilot and a vintage aircraft are both lost.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't post a link to a couple other stories with pictures of the wreck, but I'm afraid it's a complete loss.

Mustang owners, many of them, refer to themselves as "Keepers of the Keys", meaning they are preserving the planes for the next generation to own and fly. Lenoch was one of these, in my opinion.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Terrible.
What went wrong?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unknown. Just news reports now, no real info. He crashed in Atchison County KS, if that's near you, after an air show I think.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of ace522
posted Hide Post
Wow that sucks! I saw that very P-51 not even a month ago here in Waukesha. Very sad news.

Posts: 361 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
This is a tough loss for the aviation community, not to mention his poor family. Vlado had a pretty tight relationship with the Air Museum here in Kalamazoo. From what I understand he was very helpful in securing hard to find parts for the museum's collection.
I have no idea as to what happened in this case, but this reminds me of a recent conversation I had with an older friend who has been a member of the warbird community for the past 40 years or so. He was telling me about how often they would lose someone due to just plain and simple exhaustion and dehydration. You get wined and dined, fly all weekend at an airshow, and then you hustles off to the next event. En route, you make stops at different fields along the way, each time providing the locals with the expected high speed low approaches, followed by some aerobatics. These guys do this type of stuff countless times and it only takes that one time when you are just a little too tired and/or dehydrated and you make that one little mistake or slight error in judgment that ends up costing you your life. Like I said, I have no idea as to what led to the loss of Vlado and his passenger, but it sure doesn't take much at those types of speeds and altitudes.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
This is a tough loss for the aviation community, not to mention his poor family. Vlado had a pretty tight relationship with the Air Museum here in Kalamazoo. From what I understand he was very helpful in securing hard to find parts for the museum's collection.
I have no idea as to what happened in this case, but this reminds me of a recent conversation I had with an older friend who has been a member of the warbird community for the past 40 years or so. He was telling me about how often they would lose someone due to just plain and simple exhaustion and dehydration. You get wined and dined, fly all weekend at an airshow, and then you hustles off to the next event. En route, you make stops at different fields along the way, each time providing the locals with the expected high speed low approaches, followed by some aerobatics. These guys do this type of stuff countless times and it only takes that one time when you are just a little too tired and/or dehydrated and you make that one little mistake or slight error in judgment that ends up costing you your life. Like I said, I have no idea as to what led to the loss of Vlado and his passenger, but it sure doesn't take much at those types of speeds and altitudes.

Doesn't the FAA have an accumulated hours limitation of flying time?

Whatever, it's a terrible tragedy for the world of vintage aviation as well as his family, and my thoughts and prayers go out to them and to all who knew him.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I knew Vlado. I met him several times at flying conferences in the early 2000s (unfortunately, I'm not a pilot and wasn't flying; I was running the host services providing the flyers/crews everything they needed). He was really well-known and famous, yet he was nice and approachable. Not the least bit arrogant (as many would be in his position). He was a real class act.

RIP, sir.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

Doesn't the FAA have an accumulated hours limitation of flying time?

tac

I'm not aware of any accumulated hours limitations for air show pilots or GA pilots in general. What I was referring to has more to do with what you are doing to your body in general during an air show weekend. The total flight time probably isn't a whole lot, but you've spent a lot of time out in the sun, partying a little, and maybe consuming some alcohol in the evenings after the planes are in the hangar. The next day you are likely not at 100%. Sure, you may be plenty sober and otherwise able to fly your aircraft from point A to point B, but you may not have the full capacity needed to fly on the razor's edge which is what you are doing when you are talking high speed and low level maneuvers.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:

What I was referring to has more to do with what you are doing to your body in general during an air show weekend. The total flight time probably isn't a whole lot, but you've spent a lot of time out in the sun, partying a little, and maybe consuming some alcohol in the evenings after the planes are in the hangar. The next day you are likely not at 100%. Sure, you may be plenty sober and otherwise able to fly your aircraft from point A to point B, but you may not have the full capacity needed to fly on the razor's edge which is what you are doing when you are talking high speed and low level maneuvers.

I saw this first-hand while working multiple air shows and flying conferences. Pilots would be up late partying; some of them getting really hammered. Next morning, bright and early, they were out flying around high-performance aircraft doing pretty impressive stunts. I'm surprised more people don't prang their kites as a result. . .

I don't know if that is the case of Vlado. I don't ever remember seeing him do this, so it's not really fair to imply that HE was less than 100% due to alcohol, lack of sleep, etc.

Of course, flying a P-51 is much different than driving a Corvette. There are wayyyyyy too many variables in play to assign blame at this point. Hopefully, an investigation can nail down what caused this crash, so that perhaps, others can be prevented in the future.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm more heartbroken for the passenger and her poor family. Her life was in his hands. Terrible.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30298 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
It is certainly a terrible loss of both lives along with the vintage aircraft. Prayers for all.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of variables. But the big issue is, no matter how well maintained the plane is, it is still a 75 year old airplane, and a lot of the core parts are 75 years old. Not a big deal if you're normal flying them. But in an airshow situation you're pushing all of those parts to the limit and you never know when they might go.

A friend of mine owns a WWII trainer. He does all of those air shows and flies formation in them and all of the other stuff. I flew with him in February and we're out pulling over 3G's doing various stunts (not in an airshow, just for fun). Well a month later he was flying it to Sun and Fun and took off from an airport after refueling on the way there and 8 miles after normal take off, the motor blew out all of the oil (it cracked a cylinder) and he couldn't make it all of the way back and had to belly land it in a field a mile shy of the airport. The plane is being rebuilt and no injuries at all. BUT, if it happened a few days later while he was doing stunts at the air show, there's a good chance he couldn't have safely put it down. You can only stress aluminum so many cycles and so much and eventually it's going to crack somewhere no matter how well you maintain it.

It's really unfortunate and a very sad day to see someone so well known in the warbird community and such a beautiful piece of history get detroyed

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His passenger was the Atchison, Kansas Airport Manager, and also a pilot(crop duster):

http://www.tribtoday.com/news/...dies-in-plane-crash/

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't post a link to a couple other stories with pictures of the wreck, but I'm afraid it's a complete loss.

Most of the pictures I saw, you wouldn't know it had been an aircraft. Hate seeing something like this happen.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post