SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Onions - Is it just me?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Onions - Is it just me? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Or has the odor gotten stronger?

For a while now, the wife and I have both noticed that onions smell MUCH stronger than we remember. To the point that onion peelings need to be taken outside to the compost pile IMMEDIATELY or the reek permeates the entire house.

Still taste the same, same variety of onion, just seem more intense.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15264 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It may be an issue of where your grocer is buying their onions. The composition of the soil is important. That's why we have the famous, mild Vidalia onions in Georgia.

But, no- in general, yellow or white onions I've bought lately seem the same as always.

Sulfur content of the soil appears to be important.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107696 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
No, but then onions have never given me any issues when cutting, eating etc.

Vidalia Onions are in season, sweet, good, I like white and purple, stronger onions with some kick.

Wife says she remembers as a kid they'd pick Ramps, a mountain onion, eat them and then not be let in the house due to the stink it gave your sweat and body LOL.. Guess they were like Asparagus to piss...

Posts: 23535 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think in general onions are getting better; sweeter, juicier and less smell.

In fact, sometimes I need stronger onions. Different onions for salads, burgers, onion soup, etc. Most of the onions I buy these days are very mild.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12748 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Not sure about odor but rather thought my perceived increase in strength was just cause I've been busy aging. Bet there are GMO's in the mix...

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The purple onions I've had lately give me a bad belly ache.

Get off my lawn.

ETA: the produce sold in the local grocery stores verges on garbage-maybe that's got something to do with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Maybe they're going bad?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Walla Walla onions (Washington state) are good too, but been a while since I've had any. I didn't realize Vidalias were Georgian. Now that I'm in the Augusta area I'll have to look for them!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It may be an issue of where your grocer is buying their onions. The composition of the soil is important. That's why we have the famous, mild Vidalia onions in Georgia.

But, no- in general, yellow or white onions I've bought lately seem the same as always.

Sulfur content of the soil appears to be important.
There's a community east of Dallas called "Noonday" and they raise onions there. They are so mild and sweet one can almost eat them like an apple. They are called "Noonday Onions" and are very popular.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Vidalias are fantastic. I love them cut into thick slices, slathered in olive oil, seasoned and grilled along side pretty much any meat on the grill.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I buy the zippiest white onions that I can find in San Diego supermarkets, but I haven't seen the effects that you describe. I love the taste and aroma of raw onions.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8994 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
The white onions I have bought lately seem to be a lot stronger. But when we eat out, the white onions don't seem strong. Must be where the supermarket get their supply.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first job besides paper routes etc was as a bus boy/dishwasher in a small restaurant. The bus boy got to come in early on Thursday to slice onions for onion rings for the weekend on an ancient Hobart slicer, without assist. In a small basement. 15-20 gallon containers full of sliced onions. My hands would be yellow/orange until about Saturday nights (after running dishes 3 nights straight). And the smell, ohhhhh... Good times...

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post