SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do You Use A Recipe App?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Use A Recipe App? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I think I need one. Well, maybe not "need," but would be useful.

Google shows a bunch of them, but I would like to hear about experience from people I know. Sort of know, anyway.

Attributes that I would like, not in any particular order:
  • Free. Free is always good, although I guess I wouldn't mind paying for one that really does everything I want. If paid, a one-time fee, not a subscription.

• Platform: iOS. Mac would be good, too, with the ability to sync between Mac and iThings.

• Shareable. Would like my wife to be able to see my recipe book, and vice versa.

• Ability to add my own recipes.

• Searchable. Look for key words. Maybe a way to build an index?

• Settings: Optionally disable the timeout / screen blank on iOS devices while the app is in use.
There are probably other desirable characteristics, that's all that comes to mind right now.

Who uses a recipe app, what do you like or dislike about it?

I can do some of the things I want, rolling my own, with the iOS / OS X Notes app. If I got really ambitious, I suppose I could do something with a database manager like FileMaker (not my favorite, but it runs on Mac OS X), but who has time for this, what with guns to clean, ammunition to load, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30642 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I use Paprika. Free and it works pretty well IMO. One nice feature is that it'll download recipes from websites for you so you don't have to manually type them out. It also has the other attributes you seek.

It's really handy being able to pull up a recipe while at the grocery store so I don't miss any ingredients.

I still write down all of my good recipes and file them in the box though...just in case the electronics fail.

Posts: 20080 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
+1 on Paprika

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I just looked at Paprika Recipe on Google Play and they want $4.99 for the app. That and it only has a 4.2 rating. I've been using All Recipes and it's free and pretty good for what we need.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
It's not specifically a recipe app, but we use Nimbus Note. It hits all your criteria - free, cross platform, shareable, you can create notebooks and subfolders, searchable - not sure on the timeout feature, I will check that out.

I've put a ton of recipes in there and shared it with my daughter in law so she can see and use them. If I'm on the web and see a recipe I just do a quick copy and paste into Nimbus Note and it immediately syncs. I can pick up my phone or have my wife check her phone and it's there right now. Works for us.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post