SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hipster cast iron pans
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hipster cast iron pans Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I bought a new 10" Lodge, took my orbital sander to it and it is super smooth and seasoned, cook great.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
FYI: Macy's has some early Black Friday deals on cast iron cookware https://www.macys.com/shop/fea...Interior/Cast%20Iron

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Griswold.....

Just a bit steep.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ERIE-...Priority!33473!US!-1

quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
I have a whole set of Griswold that my Grandmother left to me. I remember them when I was young so I know they're well over 50 years old. Still going strong.
I would imagine that they'll outlast me properly taken care of. Some did require multiple seasonings and some work but they are wonderful to cook with.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Speaking of Griswold.....

Just a bit steep.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ERIE-...Priority!33473!US!-1

Yeah, but three-day shipping is only $49.26!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Wow! On old thread raised from the ashes. LOL

FWIW Stargazer has periodic sales many aimed at vets who also routinely get military discounts. I picked up a second Stargazer that way (military + sales discounts). Great stuff. And again the vintage stuff just isn't to be found around here.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
The last Lodge I bought was so rough I couldn’t do anything with it. Not at all like the vintage pans you see.

30 seconds with an orbital sander and 60 grit took care of that for me with mine. I then re-seasoned it myself. Thing is very smooth now.

Posts: 6344 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My girlfriends friend gave us a nice Griswold 7- They found it by the dumpster at their apartment complex. It's got some baked on crud But looks like it's perfect.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the complaints about the $13 Lodge cast iron ( CUrrent price on Amazon for Lodge 10.25" pan) not being as nicely finished as the much more expensive Stargazer. Well duh, it's $13 delivered; about the sames as I paid about 6 years ago. You can simply use it constantly for a year and it's be smooth or you can spend an hour with sandpaper and it'll be smooth. Either way, it'll be just as non-stick after seasoning and cook as well as any other cast iron pan. And yes I have a Stargazer too, the original smaller one. I still use the Lodge pan much more often. Not because it's better or worse than the Stargazer, but because "I" cooked with it enough to make it smooth with time and patience so it has a bit more sentimental value.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Xer0 you may not understand but for many of us the time and effort isn't worth the few dollars saved.

In my case I'm a disabled septuagenarian who has neither the time, patience, or desire to rework a rough porous cheap cast iron pan when I can get a ready-to-go Stargazer.

Even if I were to stumble across a vintage Griswold, Wagner or whatever, I'd undoubtedly have to elicit help to clean up such a treasure before use.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Xer0 you may not understand but for many of us the time and effort isn't worth the few dollars saved.

In my case I'm a disabled septuagenarian who has neither the time, patience, or desire to rework a rough porous cheap cast iron pan when I can get a ready-to-go Stargazer.

Even if I were to stumble across a vintage Griswold, Wagner or whatever, I'd undoubtedly have to elicit help to clean up such a treasure before use.

Oh I understand that the money saved is not worth the work to many people, It's just that when people buy a $13 item in today's economy, there has to be some understanding that the low price comes from somewhere. I fully understand buying higher end like Stargazer. It IS a Beautifully finished and well made pan, I just don't understand when the complaint is about failed expectations for what they get when they spend so little up front.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
The last Lodge I bought was so rough I couldn’t do anything with it. Not at all like the vintage pans you see.

30 seconds with an orbital sander and 60 grit took care of that for me with mine. I then re-seasoned it myself. Thing is very smooth now.

The orbital sander step is unnecessary, except for the cosmetic effect. Perfectly fried egg in an unsanded, and DRY, Lodge skillet. First 2.5 minutes of this 4 minute video.

https://youtu.be/DbJry2Q3KBA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a cheap lodge pan, then get an angle grinder with a flap wheel and smooth that bastard out and then season and call it a day.

Even if you don’t have an angle grinder buying the pan and a cheap grinder is still less than 100 bucks

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I was skimming too fast and read the title as "hipster cast iron PANTS" A and was like WTF? Sadly it took me clicking on the thread to figure it out....but maybe this is the beginning for an idea for Shark tank....

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Get a cheap lodge pan, then get an angle grinder with a flap wheel and smooth that bastard out and then season and call it a day.

Even if you don’t have an angle grinder buying the pan and a cheap grinder is still less than 100 bucks

Plus, an angle grinder is just a surprisingly useful thing to have around.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked hard to smooth out my Lodge. Then I bought the 10 inch Stargazer. Soon the 12 inch Stargazer. I gave the Lodge to my daughter. The Stargazers will be family heirlooms.

Posts: 104 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun:
I worked hard to smooth out my Lodge. Then I bought the 10 inch Stargazer. Soon the 12 inch Stargazer. I gave the Lodge to my daughter. The Stargazers will be family heirlooms.

Well done!

Although we have a pair of Stargazers, we also have a Lodge 10" Signature Series cast iron pan still on hand. Doesn't see much use at all anymore. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
My Stargazer finally arrived!!! When I opened the box, she cried out for protection and wanted me to hold her close.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kalei:
I spent about 2.5 hrs with my Dewalt random orbital palm sander on got my Lodge pan smooth as glass, seasoned it and it isms good as my old Griswolds (gave those to daughter)

This is what I need to do with my Lodge...

Id be willing to pay for a Stargazer, but $300+ for the other one is cray-cray. Eek

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few pieces of cast iron:
LODGE
20inx10in reverseable griddle
13.25-inch skillet
12-inch DO (tripod) (5 qt)
12-inch skillet
10.5-inch grill pan (square)
10.5-inch DO (flat) (3 qt)
10.5-inch deep fryer (3 qt)
10.5-inch rounded lid
10-inch flat skillet
10-inch skillet
10-inch rounded lid
9-inch square press
9-inch skillet
8-inch trivet

Griswold #5 skillet (6-inch bottom)
Griswold 10-inch griddle (X-bottom)

Stargazer 10-inch
Stargazer 12-inch

I love my lodge, but day-tO-day, the Stagazer gets the most use.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hipsters are cattle. They express their uniqueness by being just like all other hipsters. Goths are the same way- they're unique by dint of their conformity.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post