SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hipster cast iron pans
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hipster cast iron pans Login/Join 
posted
What is with this latest craze with cast iron? I've noticed the last year there's been a couple of brands that have come out, marketing their cast iron pans as some revolution. Anybody who has experience with a forge and metalwork can you make-out what these companies are doing?

Butter Pat Industries $300+ for a pan Eek They are pretty but...it's cast iron, comon'.

Stargazer Cast Iron $80 at least it's under $100 but, you can get the same with a Staub or, a Lodge

Posts: 14654 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
My wife say the old used ones are getting real hard to find and are costly when you do find them. The new cheap ones are real porous on the cooking surface. They takes a lot of work to season them well.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Some members here have the Stargazer one, it came up in a somewhat recent Cast Iron thread, IIRC.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I like the Stargazer being so well smoothed out on the cooking surface. I've got a Lodge and a No. 8 Griswold, and I abhor the Lodge.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
$300-$400 is a ridiculous price that I would never pay despite them being nice pans that your grandchildren will be using.

I guess I don't understand some of these companies. With cast iron coming back into vogue big time, if they dropped the price to $100 they'd sell a metric shit-ton of them. Four times that? Not a chance.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'm still considering a Stargazer pan.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Member bald1 bought the Stargazer – and likes it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last Lodge I bought was so rough I couldn’t do anything with it. Not at all like the vintage pans you see.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Stargazer Cast Iron $80 at least it's under $100 but, you can get the same with a Staub or, a Lodge

BS! I have an upscale Lodge Signature cast iron pan which was rough interior finished (Winner of the 2008 Fifth Annual Housewares Design Award; Model SS10S MSRP 2008 $100, reduced MSRP to $75 a couple years later, and discontinued it in 2013; and no, I didn't pay MSRP). And have had others like the Emeril by All-Clad (made in China) which was pure crap and warped within weeks. There is NO comparison between these and my new Stargazer! My Stargazer is simply outstanding!

From what others have said these newer well made pans compare favorably with the quality brands of Griswold and Wagner of decades ago which, if you can find them in decent shape on the used market, are usually priced as expensive as my new Stargazer.

quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Member bald1 bought the Stargazer – and likes it.

Got that right! LOL Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I bought the Smithey cast iron pan linked from the last thread about cast iron pans.
It is top shelf and am more than pleased with it.
Certainly right there with my Griswold of the same size.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Fenix 8" Cast Iron Skillet- It wasn't flat! I just wanted a good cast iron pan and figured a premium $125 American made product would work.

They said they could send me a flat one?

I got a full refund but damn for the money they all should be perfect.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Is expensive cast iron really that offensive? I use a skillet of some sort every single day, and my very modest stable contains a few pieces of lodge but on "hipster" Finex skillet.

I don't see it being any different than buying a Glock vs buying a Legion or a custom 1911. Variety...

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Man that Smithey looks nice. The No. 10 may have to show up at my doorstep one day.

I have all Lodge and honestly have no issues after seasoning with Crisbee. Scrambled eggs wipe right out, melted cheese, whatever. A little water and a few strokes with a nylon brush.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent about 2.5 hrs with my Dewalt random orbital palm sander on got my Lodge pan smooth as glass, seasoned it and it isms good as my old Griswolds (gave those to daughter)

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Staub is not cheap either, my 10qt pot was well over 300

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
A hipster I definitely am not.

We have a large cast iron skillet of unknown make that I bought 30 years ago. No maker's mark that I can identify, just a imprint '10' and 'SK' on its underside towards the handle, raised 'Made In USA' in the middle, and a imprint capital 'D' over '1' below that. The cooking surface is as smooth as one should expect from a well-made piece of cast iron cookware, not like the small, bumpy faced Lodge camp skillet I bought a few years ago for more convenience with backwoods use. That big one has served our family well; countless flapjacks and steaks have been made to perfection on that cherished piece of metal. Maybe paid $20 to $25 back in the mid 1980s, though I don't remember for certain. Can't imagine myself paying much more for it, since I wasn't exactly rolling in dough back then.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
From the website looks like these are available at HEB Central Market here in TX. I'll definitely be on the lookout.

JB

quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I bought the Smithey cast iron pan linked from the last thread about cast iron pans.
It is top shelf and am more than pleased with it.
Certainly right there with my Griswold of the same size.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I'm still rocking 2 12" Lodges from Walmart. One I got 15 years ago and the other about 5 years ago. Both very solid and seasoned.

You can see where my wife used a sponge with dish soap to clean it...

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clearly I need to adjust my optics with regards to cast iron. While I'm pleased with my Staub, some of the more modern pans are awfully nice.

Posts: 14654 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Everything old is new again, straight razors, hand tools, cast iron, etc. Personally I got a 2 pack of new Lodge, and thought they were fine. After reading about how the older stuff was better I have collected a dozen or so pieces, half of them Griswold. Some of them required lots of elbow grease but none have cost over $20.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post