SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Franken resigns
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Franken resigns Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
This thread title is fake news.
Franken did not resign.

I think Dana Perino of FOX hit the nail on the head.
Franken is leaving the door open, and will not resign if Moore wins.

I think Dana's theory is fake news. It's a matter of formality and protocol that the floor speech does not constitute the actual resignation. I believe there is a specific form that goes to the governor announcing the resignation and starting the replacement process.

Same exact thing happened with a MN State Rep a few weeks ago. Announced he would be resigning by the end of the year and sent the letter a few days later.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, not to get all hyper about it, but we're still waiting for the Governor to tell us he's gotten the letter.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by JoseyWales2:
I swear some of you people would find something to complain about if a naked beautiful woman knocked on your door with a billion dollars in cash.

Well...if she can't cook....

How are her knees? Knotty?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Franken hasn't resigned. He has talked about resigning. Words. Words mean nothing to a politician.

I will believe it, and celebrate, when it happens.

Posts: 430 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
No. He is as good as gone. He's lost the support of the Demorat leadership.

They've got their knives out and he would be a fool to think they'd allow him to make the Dems look even worse by saying he's changed his mind.

Good riddance to that election stealing POS.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
He can sell Al Franken dolls with the Kung Fu Grope™.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I believe a Senator has to serve two terms before they get the lifetime 100% retirement pension and all the benefits that go with it.
This might be part of the reason he is hanging on. Hoping to survive and the count on the Minnesota mouth breathing libs to reelect him which is highly probable.

More likely is that Franken is taking his instructions from the party right now. They want to see what happens with Moore. McConnell keeps saying if Moore wins he faces the Senate ethics committee which I understand cannot investigate or consider anything you did while not a member of the Senate so what's the point of threatning him with the ethics committee?
This is really getting in the weeds some of this stuff.

Seems to me it is being purposely established that every single one of these women are to be believed out of hand. No questions asked. So far it's been all lefty's with the exception of Moore but Trump's turn in the sexual accusations barrel is coming and if they are all to be believed unchallenged now they all will have to be believed unchallenged later.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smith is reportedly being appointed due to her relationship with Dayton. She worked under the Minnesota governor

Say what?!?

Is it something in the water up there?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
if Moore wins he faces the Senate ethics committee

IIRC, that's the Adam Clayton Powell case.

He could be excluded.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

I think Dana's theory is fake news. It's a matter of formality and protocol that the floor speech does not constitute the actual resignation. I believe there is a specific form that goes to the governor announcing the resignation and starting the replacement process.

Same exact thing happened with a MN State Rep a few weeks ago. Announced he would be resigning by the end of the year and sent the letter a few days later.

Yeah, but that is boring and doesn't sell clicks.

CoolRich59 is also right. The Democrat bosses have given him the heave ho. He's gone, conspiracy theories notwithstanding.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
This POS was my favorite Lib to see fall on his sword.

He's found out how he can count on his "friends" to throw him under the bus in the fast lane.

As is often said here, I never get tired of winning!

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
My leg guys say the two week issue is to allow the dems to reject on the resign promise after Moore wins on Tuesday. Franklin keeps his post, others resign, the Demos keep their their seats.
It is all politics all of the time.
Franks is an interesting situation. Not planned, I’m sure Ducey will appoint someone capable of securing the seat in November.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Don't believe any of this cheap trick!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
He will not be reneging on his resignation. He's toast. He's done. Stick a fork in him. Adios. Auf wiedersehen. A riva derchi.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He showed what a classy guy he is by using the speech to go after Trump and Moore. I've never heard anyone say they will be resigning "in the next few weeks". Hey, what's wrong with today? Does he need time to clear the sex toys that Matt Lauer sent him, out of the closet? I agree that he doesn't have the leadership behind him but he either doesn't see that or doesn't care. He's hoping Moore wins, then he'll try to roll back his resignation. It won't work but he'll give it a shot.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Good.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
He was irrelevant before he was irrelevant.

Bye Felicia.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I swear some of you people would find something to complain about if a naked beautiful woman knocked on your door with a billion dollars in cash.

Me: Honey, someone’s at the door...must be for you. Big Grin

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
He showed what a classy guy he is by using the speech to go after Trump and Moore.

This. The guy has some real issues he needs to work through. It's about Frankin's own issues, not Trump or Moore.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never been a fan of that guy, even when he was a "comedian" (which is in itself debatable). I can't listen to him - his voice is the verbal equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post