SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roast beef advice
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roast beef advice Login/Join 
Picture of bushpilot
posted
My lovely wife buys a chuck roast about every three weeks to brown in a skillet and then crock pot for all day, adding veggies at the last stage. The darn roast is always so tough I have trouble chewing it. The veggies and broth are excellent however.

My question to the brain trust: What are your favorite ways to do a roast that is edible?

Thanks in advance.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
A pressure cooker is your friend for many uses and a roast is one of them.
I would cook the roast in the pressure cooker and then add it to another pot with the vegetables and let it cook for 20 to 30 minutes on low heat.

I have a Fagor Rapida 6 liter which is stainless and has an aluminum insert bottom for fast heat transfer.

https://www.overstock.com/Home...3421386/product.html

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
You could add some acid to it. Maybe a couple splashes of cider vinegar or some balsamic but it's easy to overdo it, so I go w/ some red wine.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My mom made crock pot roast a couple of times a month for most of my life growing up.

Always with cheap/inexpensive roasts, potatoes, and carrots, in an old, brown, 70s era Crock Pot.

It has never been anything but delicious, very tender (nearly falls apart but not too much, cut it with a fork with ease), and it's always been super simple.

I've forgotten the exact method but I'll call her tomorrow and ask.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
My pot roasts are always tasty and tender.

1 chuck roast, maybe 3 lbs or so.
Season with plenty of sea salt and fresh pepper, then lightly coat with flour and brown in enamel cast iron pot.
Add half-cup red wine, minced garlic and a chopped onion, cover pot, put on low heat and simmer for 2 or 3 hours. Then add chopped potatoes and carrots, cook another 2 hours.

Bingo. Oh, and make gravy with the juice! Easy!

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crock Pot
4-5 lb roast
1-pkg Ranch Dressing mix
1-pkg Au Jus mix
1-stick butter or margarine
6-8 pepperoncini peppers

Place roast in pot, shake Ranch dressing and Au Jus mix on top of roast. Place stick of butter/margarine on top of roast. Place peppers on top of roast. Turn on crock pot for 4 hrs high or 6-8 hrs low.

Give it a shot, it is delicious.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bushpilot:
My lovely wife buys a chuck roast about every three weeks to brown in a skillet and then crock pot for all day, adding veggies at the last stage. The darn roast is always so tough I have trouble chewing it. The veggies and broth are excellent however.

My question to the brain trust: What are your favorite ways to do a roast that is edible?

Thanks in advance.

DON'T brown it first.
This is advice people like my mother (queen of the dry, tough roast) would give.
Always found that to be time consuming and contrary to what it is supposed to do (keep roast from drying out).
Ruined the roast every time.

Add a can or two of beef broth in the crock pot/roasting pan, even if you roast it with vegetables.

Make sure your crock pot isn't too hot.
Low and slow is the key
Meat comes out moist and tender, don't even need a knife to cut it.

When roasting in an oven, the difference between 325 and 350 cooking temperature can be the difference between tender and tough.

The leaner the roast (i.e. better cut - less fat) the lower the temp needs to be (I use 300) and cooking time will need to increase.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You make no mention of adding liquid (preferably beef broth). That's why it tough.

we usually add 1-2 cans of broth, then water until the meat is almost covered. it will fall apart.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Salt crust and slow cook at no higher than 200F until it reaches the internal temp of your choice. Easy-peasy.

Been doing it this way for years on the advice of a chef. With the spices of your choice, it'll turn out juicy, tender, and flavorful even with the cheap cuts.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Stay with your better cuts of meat. I never buy rump roasts.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
My mom made crock pot roast a couple of times a month for most of my life growing up.

Always with cheap/inexpensive roasts, potatoes, and carrots, in an old, brown, 70s era Crock Pot.

It has never been anything but delicious, very tender (nearly falls apart but not too much, cut it with a fork with ease), and it's always been super simple.

I've forgotten the exact method but I'll call her tomorrow and ask.

Yea, i have never experienced a non fall apart crock pot roast. My mother made the same.

I actually made crockpot shredded beef tacos last night and it fell apart. What tempature are tou cooking the roast to? Needs to be a boneless chuck roast and you have to get it to 190 degrees internal for it fall apart and it has to be done slowly. My beef took 9 hours yesterday on LOW.

My recipe is:

slice yella onions thick to keep the roast from contacting the bottom. Season roast with taco seasoning of choice. Place on top of onions. Add 1 can beef consomme/stock. Thats it. If i taste the beef and it is bland after i shred it i will put it back in the juice on warm with another taco packet. For 30 to an hour to gice it good flavor. I never stop cooking until 190 though. Its the magical bbq pulling tempature.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Slower and lower. Don't add veggies until the end or throw out first batch of veggies and add more about 1-1.5 hour before serving.

It's actually quite hard to do wrong if you do it slow and low.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found that adding a bit more liquid helps if the roast comes out tough from the crock pot. We brown the roast , put it in the crock pot, add beef and mushroom soup, run it on high til the temp gets in the cooking range then down to low for 6 to 8 hours. Comes out fork tender.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Cook's Illustrated pot roast with root vegetables

I use this one. It's good.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17246 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Put the roast in the crock pot, sprinkle lipton onion soup powder on it, pour a cup or two of water in with it, and put whatever veggies you want in there around the sides and over the top. Cover and cook on low all day. Probably the searing is what makes yours tough.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Salt crust and slow cook at no higher than 200F until it reaches the internal temp of your choice. Easy-peasy.

Been doing it this way for years on the advice of a chef. With the spices of your choice, it'll turn out juicy, tender, and flavorful even with the cheap cuts.

Salting the roast will draw more moisture out of it, no?

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
cut up carrots, potatoes, and an onion. Put them in the crockpot, place the roast on top with a little salt and pepper. Put the lid on the crockpot, set the temperature to low.

Open the crockpot 8-10 hours later, and have a wonderful meal. No matter what cut of roast, I've found this method comes out so tender you can't get it out of the pot without it falling apart.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Browning it first is what is making it tough.

Have her just cook it all day in the crock pot and it should come out fork tender.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
You make no mention of adding liquid (preferably beef broth). That's why it tough.

we usually add 1-2 cans of broth, then water until the meat is almost covered. it will fall apart.

No liquids would be my guess as well.

I've been adding cream of onion soup, water and (reduced sodium) beef bullion. That gives me a decent base for gravy.

I prefer to do my chuck roasts on low for 6 to 8+ hours - they fall apart easily every time.

If I use high for half that time they are a tougher and don't fall apart very well.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Salting the roast will draw more moisture out of it, no?

Nope, just the opposite. Locks everything in. That, coupled with temps lower than 212F keeps all the moisture where it belongs.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post