SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roast beef advice
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roast beef advice Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Use the crock port on low. SWMBO once made one "quick" on the high setting, and it was dry and tough.

Low is definitely the way to go.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Science is the answer.

Collagen in the muscle fibers begin to convert to gelatin at 160 degrees. You need to leave the roast in the crock pot long enough so that the center of the roast hits 160 degrees, and is there for a long enough time for the collagen to fully convert to gelatin. This may take an hour or more *after* you've hit the 160 degree internal temperature.

Meat begins to dry out at 130f. If you are cooking to 160 for extended periods of time, as above, then your meat will dry out long before the collagen breaks down. Therefore, most "pot roasts" are actually braises--a combination dry and wet cooking method, that holds the water temperature below boiling. If you place liquid to the top of the roast, there's no way the meat will dry out--equilibrium dictates that the liquid travels inward through the muscle fibers.

However, equilibrium also dictates that converted gelatin also travels outward through the muscle fibers into the liquid, robbing the meat of the flavors. This is why boiling meat makes for bland meat, but rich broth. To combat this effect, you must make sure that the crockpot is the proper size--too big, and there will be too much broth, and you'll lose too much gelatin to the broth. Also, this is where searing comes in. Searing the roast creates a deep, rich flavor, through a process called the maillard reaction. This rich flavor is then transferred to the broth, where it is then carried inward to the meat, replacing some of the flavor that is lost by the gelatin escaping. Lastly, flavoring the broth with herbs, spices, and root vegetables like carrots and onions, helps bring back some of the flavor in the meat.

So, in sum: 1) Cook long enough and hot enough to create gelatin. 2) Use only as big of a crock pot as you need to cover the meat with liquid, or use root vegetables to take up some of the volume. 3) Sear the roast, and season the liquid.

Boom. Science.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:

Dude. Crock Pot ribs. That's where it's at. Bones come out of the meat so easily and look like you freakin' sanded and polished them.

This makes me sad for you.

Ribs shouldn't be fall-off-the-bone like that. There should be the tiniest bit of a tug to get the meat off of the rib. And a smoke ring.

Pressure cooked or slow cooked ribs that fall off the bone are what places like Appleby's would serve.

This makes me sad in the same way that some people think the California roll is good sushi. Perfectly good eating, mind you--I wouldn't ever turn my nose up at a California roll or some chain-restaurant ribs. But, knowing the difference between good ribs and good-enough ribs is important in making informed choices. Sometimes, I *choose* to eat bad food, and that's OK.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I sear mine - I usually use a chuck roast.

I don't use a crock pot, but a Dutch oven.

Sear it with salt and pepper. Add water and some wine - one cup of each, and check it halfway through to see if it needs more liquid. It should be okay, but some dutch ovens are tighter than others.

Add two celery stalks, cloves of garlic, an onion, and some herbs (whatever you like, basil, oregano, bay, thyme, rosemary, sage). Cook at 350 for 1.5 hours.

Add liquid if needed. Discard the original vegetable, they are just there to flavor the broth. Add potatoes, turnips. Cook for .5 hours. Add carrots and an onion, and cook for another 30 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender. Don't overcook the vegetables.

Another person that throws out first batch of veggies. I thought I was going to be the only one. I've found you end up with mush if you don't do two rounds of veggies, especially the potatoes. I hate mushy veggies, plus you get a better broth.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I sear mine - I usually use a chuck roast.

I don't use a crock pot, but a Dutch oven.

Sear it with salt and pepper. Add water and some wine - one cup of each, and check it halfway through to see if it needs more liquid. It should be okay, but some dutch ovens are tighter than others.

Add two celery stalks, cloves of garlic, an onion, and some herbs (whatever you like, basil, oregano, bay, thyme, rosemary, sage). Cook at 350 for 1.5 hours.

Add liquid if needed. Discard the original vegetable, they are just there to flavor the broth. Add potatoes, turnips. Cook for .5 hours. Add carrots and an onion, and cook for another 30 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender. Don't overcook the vegetables.

Another person that throws out first batch of veggies. I thought I was going to be the only one. I've found you end up with mush if you don't do two rounds of veggies, especially the potatoes. I hate mushy veggies, plus you get a better broth.

My friends mom used to do the best crock pot, pot roast I ever had....she did the meat with spices for a while, and it had plenty of water in there, then put all the veggies on top. I never paid attention to what she did but MAN was it good. I think she used lots of fresh garlic.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post